Had my first even roll today

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm into my 3rd week of BJJ. So far, we've done mostly drilling and positional rolling, and only a very limited amount of full rolling from the feet. (Actually there were a few times in my first week or so where the others rolled, and me and my partner did positional rolling, because I was still fairly new).

The other folks I've sparred with so far have been white belts that I was able to completely dominate the pace of the fight. I wasn't manhandling them the way that the purple belt manhandles me, but I was always in a dominant or neutral position. They would try a take-down and I'd stuff it. I'd go for a take-down and get it. They might recover position or even escape, but they wouldn't sweep. I've also rolled with a blue belt (with opposite results, he dominates the pace) and then the purple belt (who might as well be taking a stroll with all the resistance I'm able to offer him). The white belts I'd rolled with so far have been a confidence booster for me, but overall I want to roll with someone who would be a good test of my abilities. I don't want to bench the bar, and I can't bench 200 pounds, but maybe something in the 100 pound range would be good.

There's a few white belts I haven't rolled with. One is significantly bigger. Another is a collegiate wrestler. But there's two that are more my size and speed. One, I'll call Alan, I drill with a lot. He told me today that he likes drilling with me because I'm the same size as him. I told him I was hoping to roll with him or Billy (what I'm calling the other one), for the same reason. Near the end of class, I got my wish. Alan wanted to partner up with me for the roll. Then the purple belt said we need to mix it up, since we'd been drilling together already, so he rolled with Alan. But that left Billy!

Billy got a kimura on me. Then we reset and I got an armbar on him. It was an action-packed, back-and-forth, 50/50 roll. If I roll with him again, I don't know what the outcome will be. And that's what was missing from my previous rolls (as much as I've enjoyed them all so far). I know the blue belt is going to dominate the whole fight. I know the purple belt is going to treat me like a ragdoll and tap me when he feels like it. I know some of the other white belts are too big or strong for me to realistically have a chance against. I know the other white belts are not going to offer me much of a challenge. But there's a few that are going to be a beatable challenge, and those are the ones I want to go up against again.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'll bet you're having fun, brother. But not as much as you're going to. It gets way more fun!

wab25

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
You would think that the probability of having an even roll would be 50/50 but most of the time I roll, people think its pretty odd... ;)

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'll bet you're having fun, brother. But not as much as you're going to. It gets way more fun!
I stayed for the advanced class on Tuesday (double class).

I had a full body hangover from it on Wednesday.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I stayed for the advanced class on Tuesday (double class).

I had a full body hangover from it on Wednesday.
It's an interesting type of sore, isn't it?