Tried BJJ for the first time last night…….

Yokozuna514

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I tried BJJ for the first time last night. I've been checking out schools in my area and after visiting a GB place that focuses on gi work, I landed at a smaller independent school that focuses on nogi. As they had a spot for a beginner in the class I decided to give it a whirl. It is a world of difference from what I normally do. The workout and muscles used are completely different as well as the vibe in the school. Everyone is pretty chill and I have no doubt that they could have destroyed me at any time. The wrestling that I did in high school was of little help as I often found myself in positions that I couldn't take advantage of even when I felt I had the opportunity. Brings to mind the adage that you don't know what you don't know until you find out.

This school seems to be predominantly young men in their 20's or 30's. There was perhaps one guy in his 40's. Apparently the core group is at this age level so I would be by far the oldest. Class structure was pretty good. One technique at first but then switching to different variations. The particular class I went to is about 60 minutes of instruction with 30 minutes of rolling. The instruction time is practical as the technique is broken down and explained . We are able to try it for a few minutes before moving to the next transition. The 30 minutes of free rolling was very interesting. I got submitted twice (neck cranks) and as I said before, I really didn't have enough knowledge on how to finish anyone off. I had plenty of gas in the tank but I still found it to be an excellent workout. Definitely feeling a few new muscles today.

Not sure if this will be the place I will join but it was a good experience. There are a few other BJJ schools I want to check out. They are bigger and affiliated with large organizations. Not to say that is better but the culture is apparently different. Might as well give them a try before I make a decision. Besides, it would be interesting to try it gi bjj now that I have tried nogi.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The wrestling that I did in high school was of little help as I often found myself in positions that I couldn't take advantage of even when I felt I had the opportunity.
Long term, your wrestling background will absolutely be a huge help in your BJJ journey. Wrestling involves the development of a number of skills and attributes which directly translate into BJJ practice. You just may have to plug some specific holes in your knowledge and experience before you get the full benefit of your wrestling experience.

OP
Yokozuna514

Yokozuna514

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Long term, your wrestling background will absolutely be a huge help in your BJJ journey. Wrestling involves the development of a number of skills and attributes which directly translate into BJJ practice. You just may have to plug some specific holes in your knowledge and experience before you get the full benefit of your wrestling experience.
Plug some holes ? Hahaha, if my knowledge of bjj was a bowl, it would look more like a sieve. Arm drags, trips and some throws were all good. It was when I got to the ground that I blanked out. I tried a couple of head and arms but I didn't angle out to get the leverage for the tap. I also realized that I will need to gain more flexibility and learn to use my body the way it is as there is somethings I know that are going to be challenging for me to pull off.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
That's fantastic brother! Well done on venturing into completely new territory. An exciting new journey, enjoy!

dunc

Black Belt
Reaction score
Plug some holes ? Hahaha, if my knowledge of bjj was a bowl, it would look more like a sieve. Arm drags, trips and some throws were all good. It was when I got to the ground that I blanked out. I tried a couple of head and arms but I didn't angle out to get the leverage for the tap. I also realized that I will need to gain more flexibility and learn to use my body the way it is as there is somethings I know that are going to be challenging for me to pull off.
Cool, you're going to love the long and difficult journey

If you're able to attempt some head & arms in your first class then that's a great start

Flexibility helps, but isn't necessary for success in BJJ

OP
Yokozuna514

Yokozuna514

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Cool, you're going to love the long and difficult journey

If you're able to attempt some head & arms in your first class then that's a great start

Flexibility helps, but isn't necessary for success in BJJ
I've just booked another class in another dojo. It's a bigger school affiliated with a large organization. It will be another nogi class as that is the only thing available to me tonight.

Thanks for the positivity. I tried a few kimuras as well but my hands are smashed from a seminar I did on the weekend so the grip strength wasn't there.

Glad to hear that flexibility isn't necessary to be successful in BJJ. I'm working on it but that is certainly a long journey that continues to be very challenging. I also feel like I am trying to use strength too much compared to the other guys on the floor. They seem far more relaxed and comfortable (which seems reasonable) when they are rolling so they look as if they are conserving energy far better than I am. This is something I would like to understand more but I suspect that will come in time as I understand how to pace myself.

Last edited:

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I also feel like I am trying to use strength too much compared to the other guys on the floor. They seem far more relaxed and comfortable (which seems reasonable) when they are rolling so they look as if they are conserving energy far better than I am. This is something I would like to understand more but I suspect that will come in time as I understand how to pace myself.
Traditionally BJJ and wrestling get to the top of the same mountain via opposite roads.

Most wrestlers start training as kids in school practicing a competitive sport. Coaches start them off with some basic technique and then drill them with a heavy emphasis on conditioning, strength, speed, explosiveness, and mental toughness. There is an ideal of being able to physically and mentally break the opponent through constant pressure and superior conditioning. Over time the athletes who stick with it and reach a high level of competition learn more and more refined technique, because their opponents also possess great physical attributes and efficient technique can make the difference between winning and losing.

Most BJJ practitioners start training as adult hobbyists and may or may not ever compete. BJJ was originally marketed as the art where a smaller, weaker individual could defeat larger, stronger opponents via superior technique. There is an ideal of being able to defeat an opponent by being super-efficient with energy and letting the other person tire themself out. However, over time the practitioners who stick with it, compete, and reach a high level of competition have to develop serious strength and conditioning, because their opponents also have great technique and those physical attributes can make the difference between winning and losing.

So at the highest levels of competition, both wrestlers and jiu-jiteiros are physical beasts with great technique and can use or conserve energy as the situation demands. It's at the lower levels that you see the difference.

Strength is a great thing to have and the idea that you shouldn't use it in jiu-jitsu is a misconception. What I tell my students is you don't want to waste your available strength and you don't want to build a game based around the idea that you are always going to be stronger than your opponent. You want to use just as much strength as is necessary for the immediate situation and keep the rest in reserve for when you really need it.

OP
Yokozuna514

Yokozuna514

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Traditionally BJJ and wrestling get to the top of the same mountain via opposite roads.

Most wrestlers start training as kids in school practicing a competitive sport. Coaches start them off with some basic technique and then drill them with a heavy emphasis on conditioning, strength, speed, explosiveness, and mental toughness. There is an ideal of being able to physically and mentally break the opponent through constant pressure and superior conditioning. Over time the athletes who stick with it and reach a high level of competition learn more and more refined technique, because their opponents also possess great physical attributes and efficient technique can make the difference between winning and losing.

Most BJJ practitioners start training as adult hobbyists and may or may not ever compete. BJJ was originally marketed as the art where a smaller, weaker individual could defeat larger, stronger opponents via superior technique. There is an ideal of being able to defeat an opponent by being super-efficient with energy and letting the other person tire themself out. However, over time the practitioners who stick with it, compete, and reach a high level of competition have to develop serious strength and conditioning, because their opponents also have great technique and those physical attributes can make the difference between winning and losing.

So at the highest levels of competition, both wrestlers and jiu-jiteiros are physical beasts with great technique and can use or conserve energy as the situation demands. It's at the lower levels that you see the difference.

Strength is a great thing to have and the idea that you shouldn't use it in jiu-jitsu is a misconception. What I tell my students is you don't want to waste your available strength and you don't want to build a game based around the idea that you are always going to be stronger than your opponent. You want to use just as much strength as is necessary for the immediate situation and keep the rest in reserve for when you really need it.
Thank you for your comments and insight. Although I am far from a beast, my current training allows me to have a reasonable amount of fitness. I do find I am using my muscles in a different way so it isn't a complete advantage and there are areas that I already know I will need to beef up to get better at grappling in the long term. Just need to figure out how to get from here to there without getting broken in the process.

dunc

Black Belt
Reaction score
I've just booked another class in another dojo. It's a bigger school affiliated with a large organization. It will be another nogi class as that is the only thing available to me tonight.

Thanks for the positivity. I tried a few kimuras as well but my hands are smashed from a seminar I did on the weekend so the grip strength wasn't there.

Glad to hear that flexibility isn't necessary to be successful in BJJ. I'm working on it but that is certainly a long journey that continues to be very challenging. I also feel like I am trying to use strength too much compared to the other guys on the floor. They seem far more relaxed and comfortable (which seems reasonable) when they are rolling so they look as if they are conserving energy far better than I am. This is something I would like to understand more but I suspect that will come in time as I understand how to pace myself.
Yeah moving on the floor isn't intuitive and tends to take a while to get the hang of
Everyone burns too much energy to start with. The sooner you learn to relax and use your movement/energy only when it will help the better
Being crushed and uncomfortable whilst trying to get your breath back sucks big time

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Thank you for your comments and insight. Although I am far from a beast, my current training allows me to have a reasonable amount of fitness. I do find I am using my muscles in a different way so it isn't a complete advantage and there are areas that I already know I will need to beef up to get better at grappling in the long term. Just need to figure out how to get from here to there without getting broken in the process.

The term we use is mechanical advantage. You need to seek that out. So that your strength is more efficient.

So instead of bench pressing someone off you. You instead use leverage and momentum and sweep someone off you.

OP
Yokozuna514

Yokozuna514

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Yeah moving on the floor isn't intuitive and tends to take a while to get the hang of
Everyone burns too much energy to start with. The sooner you learn to relax and use your movement/energy only when it will help the better
Being crushed and uncomfortable whilst trying to get your breath back sucks big time
So I’ve heard. I tried a second class last night and tried to keep your advice in mind. Getting crushed does indeed suck.
The term we use is mechanical advantage. You need to seek that out. So that your strength is more efficient.

So instead of bench pressing someone off you. You instead use leverage and momentum and sweep someone off you.
This is the part I’m struggling with. We were working on escapes in the beginning and I could feel as if my body mechanics weren’t right. Not expecting to be perfect but I can feel that something isn’t quite correct. It was getting my legs underneath me again after scrambling from my back to take a single leg. If my opponent dropped his weight on me I would not be able to get my knees under my hips or that is how I felt.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
So I’ve heard. I tried a second class last night and tried to keep your advice in mind. Getting crushed does indeed suck.

This is the part I’m struggling with. We were working on escapes in the beginning and I could feel as if my body mechanics weren’t right. Not expecting to be perfect but I can feel that something isn’t quite correct. It was getting my legs underneath me again after scrambling from my back to take a single leg. If my opponent dropped his weight on me I would not be able to get my knees under my hips or that is how I felt.

Technical get up?

OP
Yokozuna514

Yokozuna514

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Last night I had my second opportunity to try Bjj. It was at a bigger school but at a satellite facility. Everyone again was very chill and welcoming. Roughly the same size group but there were more beginners. Again I am by far the oldest with everyone being in there 20’s, maybe one guy in his 30’s.

Structure of the class was similar to my first experience with 60 minutes of instruction and then 30 minutes of free rolling. I did better this time around. I tried another head and arm on a blue belt and angled out for the tap. Against the other beginner, I completely dominated that match but I did find myself in a weird leg triangle. I fortunately had my head in the right place so I could breath while I patiently waited for him to burn out trying to squeeze my head. When I felt the pressure come off, I used my body to help scoot my head out. I ended up on too which led to me snapping in another head and arm while I grapevined his legs. I’m a one trick pony.

The purple and brown belts totally dominated me. They took my back easily and I found myself consistently being choked out. It was effortless for them to put me into bad positions. They were very kind about it as I am sure it could have been more painful. Definitely an eye opener.

One thing I am noticing is the amount of mat burns I’m getting on my knees and ankles. Wasn’t expecting that and it made sleeping last night kind of annoying, hahaha.

I did get asked what I did in the past and if I’ve ever done jiu jitsu before. I guess the wrestling is coming back albeit slowly. I was rolling with the purple belt who was setting me up for an arm bar when I pulled an escape out that both raised our eyebrows. I think it was just survival but I’ll take it.

This school has Muay Thai as well so I’m starting to lean in this direction. Still not sure how I’m going to manage taking on a second MA but I am definitely interested if my body can hold out. Moving to a schedule of 12 hours in 4 days is going to take some time to get used to.

P.s.: Buka, you are 100% right.

OP
Yokozuna514

Yokozuna514

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Technical get up?

No, it wasn't to get back on my feet. The situation presented meant I was on the bottom with my arms extended to prevent my opponent to crush me chest to chest and lock on a gable grip in side control. The escape was to hold him off momentarily as I scooted north to south and flipped onto my belly, pulling in his leg for a single and then pulling in the heel for the reversal to land me on top. It was the mechanics of holding him off while flipping onto my belly to grab the leg. That didn't feel like a strong position at all as I pulled my knees under my hips. I felt as if I could get flattened easily on my face. I probably need to scramble faster than I can currently manage because it just felt awkward.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
I’m brand new to BJJ as well. The only part I didn’t enjoy was having my neck cranked by a blue belt who did not release when I tapped. He was teaching me a dominance lesson I think. There is a lot to learn and it’s much different than the jjj I did as a kid. I did well when rolling with the lower colored belts for having no idea what I’m doing. It certainly helps to be in good condition but the idea of a joint injury during training certainly gives me pause.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
The only part I didn’t enjoy was having my neck cranked by a blue belt who did not release when I tapped. He was teaching me a dominance lesson I think.
That is a serious violation, in my opinion. You cannot trust this guy to train safely. Especially with a potentially serious injury like a neck crank.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I’m brand new to BJJ as well. The only part I didn’t enjoy was having my neck cranked by a blue belt who did not release when I tapped. He was teaching me a dominance lesson I think. There is a lot to learn and it’s much different than the jjj I did as a kid. I did well when rolling with the lower colored belts for having no idea what I’m doing. It certainly helps to be in good condition but the idea of a joint injury during training certainly gives me pause.

Are you a gigantic spaz trying to elbow his face off?

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
That is a serious violation, in my opinion. You cannot trust this guy to train safely. Especially with a potentially serious injury like a neck crank.
I wasn’t happy but I’m ok. I can just avoid him. My impression was he was showing territorial dominance. It’s really easy to just yield to that stuff. He will like that and just relax when he realizes I’m not a threat. I asked him to be more gentle next time. Next time I will blow him a kiss.

Latest Discussions