Cups?

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
At the Dojo I'm going to be starting at on Thursday, none of the guys there wear a cup. They say it's uncomfortable and it keeps them from training to protect their groin.

Is this the norm for Bujinkan?

Thanks,

Jeff

Shizen Shigoku

Purple Belt
Reaction score
There have been plenty of times in training when I wished I was wearing a cup, but yeah, I think it's the norm to train without protective equipment.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Shizen Shigoku said:
There have been plenty of times in training when I wished I was wearing a cup, but yeah, I think it's the norm to train without protective equipment.

Haha. No one at my dojo wears one. I dont think any of us are capable of having children anymore either.

OP
SFC JeffJ

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Would I be out of line if I chose to wear one anyways?

OP
SFC JeffJ

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Brian R. VanCise said:
No Jeff, go ahead and wear one. I know multiple people in the Bujinkan that do wear them. I also know of plenty of them that do not as well.

Brian R. VanCise
www.instinctiveresponsetraining.com
Good. I don't think my wife would let me train if I didn't wear one!

Jeff

ManOfVirtues

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
If they designed a cup with the martial artist in mind, you know something that would pinch or bunch while doing ukemi I think more of us would choose to wear them.
I attempted to wear one at the request of my fiance but finnaly yanked the thing out in the middle of a park tossing it at my gear bag because it served more as an annoyance then a tool.

OP
SFC JeffJ

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Try some different makes.

I've never had a problem with mine while rolling.

Jeff

Jesse

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Would I be out of line if I chose to wear one anyways?

Ya know what Jeff, its not out of line at all, your the one with the equipment. Its not hurting anyone for you having it. Plus if someone kicks you there, they deserve to hit a hard plastic object and not the "goods".

Plus the wifey has peace of mind knowing your still intack.

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
At the Dojo I'm going to be starting at on Thursday, none of the guys there wear a cup. They say it's uncomfortable and it keeps them from training to protect their groin.

Is this the norm for Bujinkan?

Yes, it is the norm as far as I know. I have never used one.

KageMusha

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I come from a kickboxing backround so I am very used to wearing one. When I started with my group I didn't wear one. Then in 1 class I was hit 3 times. One of those times by Technopunk. Then I started wearing one and never got hit. Now I am back to not wearing one and just waiting to pay for it.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I wear mine about half of the time. I get tagged a lot, but Its really not the end of the world. Pain is such a rush!
Sean

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ya know what Jeff, its not out of line at all, your the one with the equipment. Its not hurting anyone for you having it. Plus if someone kicks you there, they deserve to hit a hard plastic object and not the "goods".

Plus the wifey has peace of mind knowing your still intack.

I'd PREFER to hit a hard plastic object than the family jewels. While training, anyway. ;)

Dale Seago

Black Belt
Reaction score
I literally cannot remember how many years it's been since I wore one.

When I go to Japan, I have so much other potential damage to my person to concern myself with that my 'nads seem rather insignificant; and with my wife in the process of divorcing me I'm resigned to living the rest of my life as a "warrior-monk" anyhow. . .

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
When I go to Japan, I have so much other potential damage to my person to concern myself with that my 'nads seem rather insignificant; and with my wife in the process of divorcing me I'm resigned to living the rest of my life as a "warrior-monk" anyhow. . .

Owww... that's too bad Dale. But if you really are back on the market again, I could introduce you to some women the next time you come here.

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'd PREFER to hit a hard plastic object than the family jewels. While training, anyway. ;)

Put down the drinks for a second.

Has anyone besides me worried about their uke injuring their foot when they kick the hard plastic of a cup?

Well, a while back I was training with some non-Bujinkan guys and had to wear a cup. A few nights before I was up with jet lag and was getting my luggage in order when I was thinking about the problem.

You know, there are cups that come in a set of underpants with a pocket that you insert the plastic portion into. It is possible to stick some padding between the cup and the outer portion of the pocket to protect your friend's foot.

You don't have to do it like I did and use one of those doggie squeak toys. But since the air lets out, they are less likely to burst. And the look on someone's face who has not been told what you did as they kick you and a certain part of your body squeaks at them has got to be seen to be believed. :erg:

Latest Discussions