Gymnastics cross training for martial arts

Ella

<B>Banned User - Multiple Accounts / Previously Ba
Reaction score
So I used to do gymnastics a long time ago. After a weekend trip to vegas for the NBL "duel in the desert" tournament, and seeing the excalibur dinner show, I was inspired to jump head first (bad pun intended) back into gymnastics. (the show had excellent tumblers in the coronation scene).

It's been about 8 years since I last stepped foot into a gym. Not counting tonight. Class started at 7:40, and by 8:20 I was doing back handsprings on the mat with a spotter, and back tucks on the trampoline. I cant believe how well muscle memory served me.

I was scared to do a back tuck again on the trampoline, it's probably been 4 years since I stepped foot on a trampoline. I started with back hand springs on the trampoline, and I was only a little nervous for that. But back tucks are different; you dont get to use your hands, and if you mess up, you can mess up bad. When I first went to do a back tuck, I wimped out and decided to do back handsprings first. But I realized that if I didn't do it NOW I was going to scare myself out of it; and how many hundreds of back tucks have I done on the trampoline? So I went for it.

It wasn't beautiful, I landed on my feet only to promptly fall to my knees, but not at all a bad for a first attempt after all these years. The next try I landed on my feet. Within 10 minutes and a little coaching they were looking much better indeed.

I'm so glad that I didn't let myself out of trying again. I haven't had this much fun in years. And I think the tumbling is cool, and the flexibility and strength can't hurt my karate.

Does anyone else cross train in gymnastics? Adult gymnastics isn't all that common, but it was amazingly fun. There were 3 other martial artists at class tonight. and out of the 10 or 12 people, only 3 were girls, it was mostly guys! That surprised me indeed.

God I'm sore,
and I'm sure it will only be worse tomorrow.

Life IS good.

qi-tah

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Does anyone else cross train in gymnastics? Adult gymnastics isn't all that common, but it was amazingly fun. There were 3 other martial artists at class tonight. and out of the 10 or 12 people, only 3 were girls, it was mostly guys! That surprised me indeed.

I wish i had kept up gymnastics when i was in my early teens... i did do some with my sister but i was never that flexible and also a little stocky - i guess i got discouraged. If only i knew how much it would have helped me in MA later in life!! Who knows, i could still be doing Capoeira...
icon9.gif

God I'm sore,
and I'm sure it will only be worse tomorrow.

Life IS good.

icon10.gif
icon10.gif

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Gymnastics are great for the body, as long as you take care of it. I have noticed, that some of the students who have trained in gymnastics before, tend to pick up things pretty quickly, and that it really doesn't take that much time for them to develop the correct muscle memory, compared to the inexperienced student.

Those who either have, or still train in, gymnastics also demonstrate a better sense of balance at the earlier stages, although this tends to level out once they hit shodan or higher.

The only time I ever frowned upon such a student, was when she said "Hey, I found this movie, that shows some guy who's an olympic class gymnast, and that he combines his gymnastics with Kung Fu!"

That movie happened to be the infamous "Gymkata..." :rofl:

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
Doing Gymnastics is no weider then doing Dance, Playing the Guitar, or studying Carpentry to develop your Martial Arts. In fact, it makes more sense then some of those. Good Training!

OP
E

Ella

Reaction score
OH MY GOD
I feel like I was beaten with a stick all last night.

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
OH MY GOD
I feel like I was beaten with a stick all last night.

Could be worse. You could have ACTUALLY been beaten with a stick. Besides, whats the saying "pain is just weakness leaving the body"

OP
E

Ella

Reaction score
I dont feel so hot today either. Hopefully I can go back on thursday though.

I wonder how long before I can go monday, tuesday, wednesday, and thursday, and still go to karate before hand?

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Gymnastics are great for the body, as long as you take care of it. I have noticed, that some of the students who have trained in gymnastics before, tend to pick up things pretty quickly, and that it really doesn't take that much time for them to develop the correct muscle memory, compared to the inexperienced student.

Those who either have, or still train in, gymnastics also demonstrate a better sense of balance at the earlier stages, although this tends to level out once they hit shodan or higher.

I think it goes both ways, my 7 yr old just started gymnastics (after 3 years of kempo) and the teachers say these same things about her progress in gymnastics.

it is funny seeing the influence of one on the other. for example, forward rolls. at the dojo, she struggles to get over the shoulder correctly. Go to the gym, she is supposed to do them straight over the head, and she is over the shoulder CONSTANTLY. what the heck??

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
My oldest daughter took up Kenpo at the same time she took up gymnastics. She did very well with both--cross training has helped her tremendously. She stopped for about a year and now wants to return to Kenpo and Gymnastics.

- Ceicei

OP
E

Ella

Reaction score
that's a weird coincidence. Maybe I'm secretly your daughter, cei cei.

Latest Discussions