Gustav and the end of the Big Easy?

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Looks like Hurricane Gustav is barrelling down on the Big Easy (New Orleans). I just checked the storm surge predictions on the tropical weather pages and the worst of the storm surges will be focused right on the least protected parts of New Orleans.

In a few days, a major American city could be wiped off the map. What do you think will happen? How do you think this will be different from Katrina? What should be done is New Orleans is completely wrecked again? And most importantly, what do you think you can do to help people?

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Looks like Hurricane Gustav is barrelling down on the Big Easy (New Orleans). I just checked the storm surge predictions on the tropical weather pages and the worst of the storm surges will be focused right on the least protected parts of New Orleans.

In a few days, a major American city could be wiped off the map. What do you think will happen? How do you think this will be different from Katrina? What should be done is New Orleans is completely wrecked again? And most importantly, what do you think you can do to help people?
If at first you don't succeed try try again... seems that New Orleans is slated to be wiped off the face of the earth and since Katrina didn't do a through enough job her time around Gustav and the one behind him is coming up.

They're either going to have to spend BILLIONS to reinforce the entire city or find someplace else. I mean ... take a hint folks... this is NOT a safe place to live year-round.

As far as what I think I can do to help people down there... not much. As far as the country... just like with Katrina; help them relocate or move them out of harms way until the SEASON is passed.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You really have to feel for anyone living in Louisiana and especially the areas near the coast. I hope and pray that everyone gets out safely.

I also feel that living below sea level is not an optimum condition and residents there should probably look to live some place else.
icon9.gif

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mandatory and properly organized evacuations. If folks in New Orleans didn't learn a lesson with Katrina about getting out while the getting is good there's really nothing anyone is going to be able to do. The city sits below sea level for crying out loud. Pack what you can't live without and leave. If shelters haven't been set up yet then someone needs to be kicking the local government (city and state) in the *** to get them that way.

As to a major American city being blown off the face of the earth... folks will inevitably rebuild even though it's been proven that NO is a money pit just waiting for the next big storm to come along and wash a little bit more of it out to sea. Losing NO wouldn't be as big a blow to the US economy as rebuilding it time and again will be.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It does sound harsh to simply say "relocate, it's too dangerous to live there" but there may come a point where it is a fait accomplis.

After all, as hard as it is to let go of a couple of centuries of settlement, it must be better in the long run not to keep seeing your property swept away. It's also not like there isn't a lot of room in the country either - why is the drive to urbanise so strong in the States?

EDIT: Jeff said it first and better :rei:.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It does sound harsh to simply say "relocate, it's too dangerous to live there" but there may come a point where it is a fait accomplis.

After all, as hard as it is to let go of a couple of centuries of settlement, it must be better in the long run not to keep seeing your property swept away. It's also not like there isn't a lot of room in the country either - why is the drive to urbanise so strong in the States?
The late great comedian Sam Kinneson had a great (and hiliarous) point about those living in Ethiopia and other places where millions are starving and food is being sent to them annually that doesn't reach them (being stolen by the Warlords for their arms money)... he said that to end world hunger MOVE to where the food is!
If Hurricanes, tornadoes, earthquakes, fires are constantly causing millions of dollars in damages on an annual basis... MOVE to where there isn't any!

True the areas have been settled for centuries and millions have been spent on developing it and a rich history has emerged from it all. But take a hint people... it's happening a lot more often and the costs to rebuild now-a-days are far out weighing the cost to live there and try to *ahem* weather it out.

girlbug2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I feel for the people who were in that hurricane 3 years ago. They got a raw deal and destroyed lives.

Now we should all be wiser.
Like Carlos Mencia said about 2 years ago, why rebuild? It's like God is sending a clear message, "Get Out!"

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I really can't do much from 5,000 miles away...except for sending money and food.

I wonder how this is affecting gas prices? I imagine all of the ocean platforms are shut down.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I really can't do much from 5,000 miles away...except for sending money and food.

I wonder how this is affecting gas prices? I imagine all of the ocean platforms are shut down.
Hmm, this gives food for thought indeed. If we were to set up oil drilling platforms all over the gulf of Mexico... how many of them will need repairs/rebuilding after each Hurricane season and how much would that cost us?
Sure there are platforms out on the North Sea near the British Isles but one wonders if they have to face the power of a class 5 hurricane?

Me thinks they might want to figure out some-other way of getting that Gulf Oil out. Perhaps undersea drilling, ala the Abyss??

Skip Cooper

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Like Carlos Mencia said about 2 years ago, why rebuild? It's like God is sending a clear message, "Get Out!"

Did Carlos Mencia say that...or...George Lopez? Seems he's likes to "repackage" George Lopez's material, it's hard to tell what is a legitimate Mencia quote. :wink1:

Skip Cooper

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Relocation may seem like the obvious answer, but sadly, those who could relocate already have. The ones that remain, depend on the government for their livelihood. Agree with it or not, that is the way it is.

Others cling to the place where their families have been for generations. I have heard the same about the people who live along the Mississippi River. How many times does one have to lose everything before they move? Everyone has a breaking point.

Relocation can be tough for people looking for work in new cities and they may experience discrimination. I am not talking about racial descrimination, but the kind that happens between locals and "new-comers". Especially since work may be hard to come by without the influx of people seeking to move away from hurricanes, tornadoes, earthquakes, famine, and war.

Before Katrina and Rita, I lived on the Texas gulf coast...5 miles from the coast and 25ft. above sea level. Rita was forcasted to hit Galveston Island as a Category 4. This would have meant the end of my home. What the hurricane didn't completely destroy, the 30ft storm surge and flooding from the runoff would have certainly finished us off. Fortunately for us, and unfortunate for folks east of us, we were spared...but this was my breaking point. We moved an hour inland and where now all we have to worry about is wind damage from future storms.

Why didn't we relocate completely? My work is in Houston. Sure I can obtain the same work in Austin, Dallas, or any other major city with commercial office buildings...but the stark reality is that we would have to take the risk of uprooting the family, quit my job, move in with relatives with the hope of landing employment in another city...not always a guarantee. I would rather take my chances with Mother Nature, thank you.

Last edited:

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A good, sensible, personal, perspective on things, Skip :tup:.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This is really depressing. I've been watching "Architecture School" and thinking about how the city has struggled to rebuild...and now this.

grydth

Senior Master
Reaction score

My money is on the city surviving.

This is not any vote of confidence in the klown mayor, the confused state officials or especially in the Bush Administration. No, I have faith in the average folks.... the tough and decent folks who are the building blocks and the glue of any American neighborhood.

Cities have been prematurely counted out before for various reasons.... places like London and Stalingrad. I was stationed in a beautiful old city on the Main River in Bavaria, a place called Wurzburg. It was flattened at the end of World War II.... and then gradually and lovingly rebuilt to the old plans.

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
This just says it all...

gomex_sat_600x405.jpg

I thought I'd give a little commentary on this picture. Since the hurricane is rotating counter clockwise, the worst winds and the highest storm surge will be on the eastern side of the eye. THAT portion of this very powerful storm is what will move right over New Orleans.

During Katrina, the western side of the eye moved over New Orleans and the wind was actually spinning out of the north. This is what pushed lake Pontchatrain over its banks and into the canals of the city, where it eventually broke out. The eastern part of the eye wiped a small peice of Mississippi off the map.

Gustav is larger and the worst part of the storm is looking like it will pass right over the Big Easy...

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yea it does not look good for the city right now. I hope it stands it grounds and comes out better than before.

Latest Discussions