guns??

Enson

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
what is the extent your gun training? is it taught in your school? if it is at what level?

peace

gmunoz

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Well, in To-Shin Do they don't teach us to use guns...

However, we do train to defend ourselves against them. IMO, they are not much difference to defend against than a knife. I personally haven't done much defense against a gun other than with training partners. But as far as in To-Shin Do I haven't done much yet. On my way there still...
From what I gather there a few To-Shin Do practitioners here. Perhaps they have trained in gun defense. As for me, not yet.

A

AnimEdge

Everynow and again they train stuff with guns but not all that often, and its how to disarm not how to use or handle them :p Im on the board for my local gun club(youngest ever :p) so maybe i can get them to let us go up and shoot or something

J

J. Lee

Guns ??
What is the desire ; personal defense or battlefield ?

Tai sabaki waza is first , then - sword training
for body dynamics including multiple attackers

j lee

J

J. Lee

gmunoz said:
I believe he actually was asking about
Enson understood
I stated tai sabaki waza then sword are prerequisties to handguns
Still self defense is different than battlefield
hoping this simplifies your concern

j lee

Kizaru

Purple Belt
Reaction score
gmunoz said:
However, we do train to defend ourselves against them. IMO, they are not much difference to defend against than a knife...
Interesting. I see them as having some very specific characteristics.

For example:

GUN
1. Can blow a hole in you.
2. Can hit you from point blank, or from a long distance.
3. Has limited number of shots.
4. Usually makes a loud "bang" or "crack" sound when fired.
5. At long distances, shooter usually doesn't get blood all over him.
6. Doesn't take more than the twitch of a finger to discharge a bullet.

KNIFE
1. Can cut you
2. Unless thrown, can only harm you at "point blank".
3. Can cut you multiple times.
4. Usually doesn't make much noise when used.
5. When used, there's "spatter" and things get "sticky".
6. Takes more than the squeeze of a finger to employ.

I believe that these significant differences make avoiding being maimed or worse by either quite unique situations.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Kizaru said:
Interesting. I see them as having some very specific characteristics.

For example:

GUN
1. Can blow a hole in you.
2. Can hit you from point blank, or from a long distance.
3. Has limited number of shots.
4. Usually makes a loud "bang" or "crack" sound when fired.
5. At long distances, shooter usually doesn't get blood all over him.
6. Doesn't take more than the twitch of a finger to discharge a bullet.

KNIFE
1. Can cut you
2. Unless thrown, can only harm you at "point blank".
3. Can cut you multiple times.
4. Usually doesn't make much noise when used.
5. When used, there's "spatter" and things get "sticky".
6. Takes more than the squeeze of a finger to employ.

I believe that these significant differences make avoiding being maimed or worse by either quite unique situations.
Well spoken...Whenever possible you should practice both GUN and KNIFE defenses, because as you see there signifigant differences..

V

Vadim

At my school we practice knife defense at seminars. At my job we practice pretty regularly with gun retention & defense skills.

-Vadim

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, We have a very limited training in gun self-defense. Just the basic take away and graps from the front and back and side. We don't spend too much time. More on the club and knife defense. Off course we teach to avoid getting into trouble.....aloha

Moko

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Enson.

Define guns.

Eschew obsfucation.

Robert

sojobow

Purple Belt
Reaction score
AnimEdge said:
Everynow and again they train stuff with guns but not all that often, and its how to disarm not how to use or handle them :p Im on the board for my local gun club(youngest ever :p) so maybe i can get them to let us go up and shoot or something
Generally speaking (we gotta luv her), I'd think that once we are introduced to any subject - be it guns, kicks or other strikes and weapons, history, philosophy, we should practice them and expand on them for the rest of our lives. So, even though we are introduced to guns during a seminar, we should then practice these on a continuous basis. Next time Sensei askes about Guns, you should show him how to break if down and put it together again even though he only taught us how to disarm.

A

AnimEdge

it wasnt at a seminar :p our weapons practice usally is based on how many and what weapon we have on us, if she/he brings in a bag of wooden guns we would do guns, everyone bings the bo, we do bo that kinda stuff, it would be more often if the gym would let us keep all of our stuff there

T

te_greening

i'm surprised you haven't been flooded with "get a qualified" instructor posts as yet!!
ha ha ha.
i agreed with you though. when you're shown something, be it a weapon or a technique or whatever, that's just the begining. someone showing you something doesn't mean you know it (or that you are safe with it), you have to really discover how it works for you and make it your own.

RRouuselot

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Does anyone else think this is strange?

Gabriel Munoz (aka Enson)asks this:

Enson said:
what is the extent your gun training? is it taught in your school? if it is at what level?

peace
And then his brother
Jeremiah Munoz (aka gmumoz) answers with this:

gmunoz said:

However, we do train to defend ourselves against them. 1)IMO, they are not much difference to defend against than a knife. I personally haven't done much defense against a gun other than with training partners. But as far as in To-Shin Do I haven't done much yet. On my way there still...
From what I gather there a few To-Shin Do practitioners here. Perhaps they have trained in gun defense. As for me, not yet.

Jeremiah Munoz’s Bio:

Among his other hobbies, Pastor Jeremiah is highly involved in training in the martial arts. He currently carries a belt in RTMS Tew-Ryu Ninjutsu.

You guys train in the same place don't you?
Why would one person answer the question from the same dojo?

1) Uh....OK. You may want to re-think that philoshphy.

J

jibran

Actually, gmunoz is Gabriel Munoz; Gabriel is a To-Shin Do practitioner. Enson is a RTMS practitioner.

RRouuselot

Master of Arts
Reaction score
jibran said:
Actually, gmunoz is Gabriel Munoz; Gabriel is a To-Shin Do practitioner. Enson is a RTMS practitioner.
I see. So it was [font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial]Senior Pastor [/font][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial] Gabriel Munoz that has his account suspended. His brother [/font][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial]Jeremiah Munoz is Enson the Tew guy. [/font]

Satt

Black Belt
Reaction score
Speaking of gmunoz, I think his account is gonna be on again either today or tomorrow.

Latest Discussions