Guns in the x-kans?

Hudson69

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I have been in BBT off and on now for a while so I haven't gotten far enough to actually have guns as the weapon to be learned. I am always looking to become a better shooter (and martial artist) and would like to know how the training relates to the NRA's training and to LE training and military training. Not a this is better or this is worse but what are the teaching principles (are they universal?).

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That's an area that Dale Seago knows a lot about. I hope he sees this and is able to contribute. :asian:

Dale Seago

Black Belt
Reaction score
Firearms and their tactical employment are not a part of the official Bujinkan curriculum in the same way as, say, use of the sword. On the other hand, I've been told that Takamatsu sensei had no compunction about usng them when he was in China.

And I've heard Hatsumi sensei comment a number of times that a true martial art doesn't need to fundamentally change just because technology changes: It simply incorporates the new into the existing knowledge base in a congruent way which will allow the practitioner to make the best use of it.

It's not at all uncommon to see firearms use incorporated in a very natural way with taijutsu in training in Japan, and I often do so with my own students -- particularly when it comes to things like weapon disarming and weapon retention with both long guns and handguns. The same general methods applied to these skills with other weapons work just fine with firearms; the main difference is that instead of thinking about where you and others may be in relation to edges and points you need instead to be aware of things like the line of fire, muzzle blast effects, etc.

My first training in Japan was on a military mission after I'd been training here for 3 years, my battalion commander having given me some time off to run down to Noda from Camp Sendai. The instructor I was working with had me doing interesting things with a (non-firing replica) 12-gauge shotgun, Uzi subgun, and Browning pistol. That was in January of '87.

Bujingodai

Black Belt
Reaction score
We practiced Teppojutsu when I was in the Kan, mind you more an opportunity to be better thru practice than tactical deployment and usage of the weapon. But we used rifle, handgun, shotgun, hand cannon some explosives and cross bow.
I think it depends on the instructor.

althaur

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Based on my training with Dale and Jack Hoban, I've taught various firearms related material while in the Military and to Afghan Police. The concepts transition quite nicely. Also has a tendency to be a little less than conventional compared to what people normally expect with weapons work.