Gun Disarming

msneen

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I used to work as a bodyguard back in the 90's. One night my client tried to shoot his attorney... through me.

I stepped /pivoted to the outside of his drawing arm, let my left palm fall over the hammer, my right hand under the barrel in front of the trigger guard. Then I did the classic "inside wrist lock" takeaway.

As the gun started to come out, he pulled the trigger and I felt full hammer pressure against my palm. Had to have one of my partners help me get it out of my hands safely.

In retrospect, I made a really big mistake. I should have waited until the gun was empty to take it away. The attorney turned out to have major ethical problems. :)

Regards,

Mike Sneen

Gray Phoenix

Green Belt
Reaction score
In all honesty, if someone has a gun on you, your about to die. Only in a very rare instance would you have the opportunity and the proper body positioning to attempt a disarming move. Even then, I would need to feel like there is no chance of me or anyone else walking away with out some counter to the gun.

rmclain

Black Belt
Reaction score
This story of pistol defense was originally published in Black Belt Magazine. This event happened on November 1, 2001 to a green belt(6th gup) student of mine. Students learn close-range handgun defense at yellow belt (7th & 8th Gup). The entire event was caught on the store's video cameras. My student was honored for heroism by the Arlington P.D.

Robert McLain

www.defendu.com/newsletterjune2004.htm

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
rmclain said:
This story of pistol defense was originally published in Black Belt Magazine. This event happened on November 1, 2001 to a green belt(6th gup) student of mine. Students learn close-range handgun defense at yellow belt (7th & 8th Gup). The entire event was caught on the store's video cameras. My student was honored for heroism by the Arlington P.D.

Robert McLain

www.defendu.com/newsletterjune2004.htm

Wonderful Job. Congrats to your student! :) For learning purposes, I would like to see the tape. Have you considered putting the video on your site?

Paul

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Gun Disarms? Learn them, practice them and God help you if you actually need them. They are for "DO or DIE" situations. Run first if possible. If you have to do it, go all out and dont stop until you win or you die. Just because you get shot dosent mean you are dead...keep going!

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
IMO many of the "cops shot with their own guns" stories are either. a. guns in the holster and the BG takes it. OR b. the cop is supprised and the gun is "snatched" from his hand or c.Guns is in the cops hands, BG goes for it and the Cop tries to fight without shooting the BG because the BG is unarmed, cops afraid of lawsuits, shooting an unarmed BG etc...IMO any BG coming at me when my gun is out is intending to kill me.

msneen

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Tgace said:
IMO many of the "cops shot with their own guns" stories are either. a. guns in the holster and the BG takes it. OR b. the cop is supprised and the gun is "snatched" from his hand or c.Guns is in the cops hands, BG goes for it and the Cop tries to fight without shooting the BG because the BG is unarmed, cops afraid of lawsuits, shooting an unarmed BG etc...IMO any BG coming at me when my gun is out is intending to kill me.
In reality, that is the case, but I can understand the hesitation. Lawyers have months to analyze what happens in a couple seconds and make it look like something else.

Regards,

Mike

msneen

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
One of the other things we work on quite a bit in our training group is disabling and re-enabling the weapon(semi-auto) during take-aways/ retention. Mainly firing it with the slide blocked so the spent casing doesn't eject and the slide has to be cycled before it will fire again.

Latest Discussions