guitar god survivor series, a call for nominations

Ramirez

Black Belt
Reaction score
Hello, I am thinking of setting up a guitar god survivor series. A fun exercise that I have helped organize ob a couple of discussion boards. The idea is that we nominate 64 or 128 guitar gods, then set up polls of 4 guitarists with the top 2 vote getters going to the next round.

This is a call for nominations. I prefer a wide range of guitarists, from all genres, rock, classical, flamenco, country etc. Also try to stick to guitarists we can find on youtube so we can post their performances for everyone to see.

I'll start with 4

Steve Morse
Wes Montgomery
John Williams
Paco De Lucia.

If I get enough interest, I'll set up the competition, if not...well this is the end of it.

BTW: how do I set up polls on this board?

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
An interesting idea, Ramirez. The only thing I can say I don't like is the YouTube restriction.

If people are knowledgeable enough about guitar-players then they shouldn't need a video to judge ... otherwise Nancy Wilson will just win straight away because she's prettier than Dave Gilmour :lol:.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Pat Metheny

Django Reinhardt

Andres Segovia

Alex Lifeson

Sukerkin

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My voted for quartet of fret-twiddlers would be (at this minute :D):

Dave Gilmour
Ritchie Blackmore
Jimi Page
Steve Howe

OP
Ramirez

Ramirez

Black Belt
Reaction score
An interesting idea, Ramirez. The only thing I can say I don't like is the YouTube restriction.

If people are knowledgeable enough about guitar-players then they shouldn't need a video to judge ... otherwise Nancy Wilson will just win straight away because she's prettier than Dave Gilmour :lol:.

Lol, well the whole idea is to expose the posters to guitarists that the don't know, so they might not be that knowledgeable about some of those guitarists , so I need to show their music to those that might not know them.

Steve Morse was dismissed as "just a shredder" on one competition by a poster until I posted some more videos of him, now he is one of that poster's favorite guitarists.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Would it make more sense to post YouTube clips as we go along?

Sukerkin

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hmm ... I guess I'm just too old school :eek: :lol:. Surely a sound-recording will do just as well?

EDIT To Carol: That wouldn't be a bad idea. At least then everything would be available from the get-go.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Actually Suke, there are a lot of YouTube clips that are just a sound recording with nothing, or perhaps just the guitarist's picture in the backdrop.

But since I'm not on YouTube I can't nominate myself :( (Kidding!!)

OP
Ramirez

Ramirez

Black Belt
Reaction score
Would it make more sense to post YouTube clips as we go along?

That is the plan, I will post youtube clips for each set of 4 guitarists in the poll. It doesn't have to be youtube, as long as we can post audio/video from any source on a guitarist.

Sukerkin

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Oh okay - actually, I just realised that this is a video that does not feature Dave Gilmour playing it (they had to draft in two session musicians instead to back Roger Waters).

Here's the real deal:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=mVOHGHUiFhc

I'll put the Gdansk link too, even tho' it's shortened, just because it starts with Rick Wright's last performance and makes me cry (shocking behaviour for an Englishman I know :eek:)

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=bGV1lfoKhi0

Gordon Nore

Senior Master
Reaction score
  • Eric Clapton
  • John McLaughlin (progressive jazz, composer, tech innovator) He appeared on the album, Saturday Night in San Francisco w/ Paco de Lucia and Al Di Meola -- one of the best sounding albums ever
  • Leo Kottke (a virtuoso of the 12-string)
  • Chet Atkins who has inspired many of the above. All players owe a debt to Chet.

OP
Ramirez

Ramirez

Black Belt
Reaction score
  • Eric Clapton
  • John McLaughlin (progressive jazz, composer, tech innovator) He appeared on the album, Saturday Night in San Francisco w/ Paco de Lucia and Al Di Meola -- one of the best sounding albums ever
  • Leo Kottke (a virtuoso of the 12-string)
  • Chet Atkins who has inspired many of the above. All players owe a debt to Chet.

post videos, it looks like no one is interested in a competition. As for Chet, I have an autographed poster from him that a friend of mine brought back from a country music festival in Nashville, the man was incredible...and a big influence on my personal favorite Steve Morse.

Gordon Nore

Senior Master
Reaction score
post videos, it looks like no one is interested in a competition. As for Chet, I have an autographed poster from him that a friend of mine brought back from a country music festival in Nashville, the man was incredible...and a big influence on my personal favorite Steve Morse.

Leo Kottke: http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=gJthGsBB5YQ

Chet Atkins & Mark Knopfler together: http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=5wTVLIZaxMk

Chet could play anything with anyone. Here's one collaboration he did with a bunch of artists in 1985: Stay Tuned.

Stay Tuned is an album by Chet Atkins on his new label Columbia after recording for RCA since the 50's. Chester's guests include Larry Carlton, George Benson, Mark Knopfler, Steve Lukather, Earl Klugh, Boots Randolph, David Hungate, Dean Parks and Mark O'Connor.

John McLaughlin, Al Di Meola & Paco Delucia performing a track from Saturday Night in San Francisco: http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=9cadbYIzhqQ

More later. I'm off to the theatre with my son.

Latest Discussions