Group Test vs. Private Testing

prm2770

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
As an Instructor I am trying to see the logic between the two types of testing. In my school we do group tests divided by age. Grasshoppers are 4,5 6yr, Jr's 7-11 yr, Youth 12-16, adult 17 up. I have approximately 70 students at any given time and at each promotion test I tend to only recommend 20-40 students depending on whether or not they are ready.

So now I get to the reason for my post. As THE Instructor with only one assistant I see these students 6 days a week. I know there abilities, strengths & weaknesses etc. In my eyes the large group test is more of a demonstration rather than a test. The simple fact of me handing you your test paper and saying you are ready warrants a passing grade. That being said I would like to implement private testing somehow so that I can give more individualized feedback. If I do this then should I do away with the large group test where I recommend you for test and in place let anyone who thinks they are ready pay the test fee sign up for the time and grade them then and there? Any ideas on the two different types of test? or ways to have both? Maybe just some discussion on testing in general.

Thanks for any feedback!

FLTKD

White Belt
Reaction score
We are in the same boat! Really I think for the children the testing in a group is good for two things. #1. The parents get to see everything they have been working on and compair thier childs skill set to others. Probably more important if you charge a testing fee..... I justifies the fee. #2. It helps the children.... I know that you see them 6 days a week but you and I know that a testing is a totally different enviroment. What I mean is johnny could be 100% 6 days a week, but can he be 100% when he really needs to be? Lastly, remember when you tested... It was a big deal! People love to hear others tell them what a good job they have done. We are not like other sportsor activities where you can sit and watch the game. Testing is and what should bring out the best in a student.

I have a grading sheet. I give A,B,C,D etc.. A week after testing I return their testing form with the grade and comments.
Hope I helped.

dbell

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I don't charge a "testing fee" (I do charge them for the new belt, unless they want to go out and buy it themselves), so worrying about that isn't a problem for me.

I feel that for kids, it helps to have a group testing (although I don't teach people under 16 for the most part) for the ability to see how others are testing and the ability to "mimic" the process. It also helps reduce some of the fear and anxiety, making it a bit more "fun", which is important to kids.

For adults, I have never understood having so many people on the floor doing the test. How does the Tester see all the details in each person's moves, forms, etc? I feel that the test should be one on one (with a side line helper when needed). For the grappling, locks, pressure points, etc, I am actually often the helper, as I want to feel the positioning of the hands, body, etc, of the Testing Party...

That said, my test are daily, in my classes, and the student often doesn't know they are testing for the next belt until I let them know a class or three later by giving them their Cert and belt. (And ask if they would please pay for the belt now, thank you. ;) )

HKphooey

Senior Master
Reaction score
I am not a fan of the private test (unless for a specific reason like the student works nights or was on vacation for the last test). I think part of the testing process is the ability to perform in front of your peers and onlookers. One of the common reasons a person is enrolled in the martial arts, is confidence.

But in the end, you need to see what fits your student base the best.

TKDHomeSchooler

Green Belt
Reaction score
As a student I don't really care for private testing, but I do prefer to test alone. I have found that when I test with a group at once, I usually will screw myself up and spot someone out of the corner of my eye and, hey look a squirrel, get off step at some point.

OP
P

prm2770

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Really great comments from all! Thank you for sharing. I do agree with HKphooey and FLTKD in that it helps the student in showing the skills they have learned to the parents and onlookers and also with dbell that you dont even tell them they are testing. I have done that once or twice with a student that just really deserved the recognition. May I ask how many students you have dbell? how do you manage?

msmitht

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I have been a practitioner of TKD and a few other arts for around 31 years now. I run my own school with 100 students and run a kids program for BJJ at another school. I have seen many different ways to promote students. It all depends on what type of school you are running.
Group testing is good for the school. It brings everyone together with their families and friends. It is also a clear way to see the difference between the belt levels and gives the students/parents a look at what lies ahead if they keep training.
If you run a more sport orientated school then promotion should be based on performance. It should also be done in class at the beginning or end (i.e. when the parents are there) or after success at an event. This will encourage competitors to train harder and can also keep class performance/attendance up.
Private testing is both good and bad. The student can feel intimidated if you are the only two there. Yo might be too lenient/harsh in your grading.
On the positive side the student may bee too shy to attend a group exam at first. A private exam with the parents present can help to break the ice a little. Maybe they had an emergency and could not make it. Having them wait another month or six seems unfair.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well, we have group tests.

ladydady everybody comes to watch it.

it can be nerve wrecking but the main participants all have been there so you know it's gonna be OK.

Especially for the smaller school in the area (we had some changes in the past concerning ownership) it's a great chance to bring in another set of eyes and for the students to make their first step outside school boundaries.

Every instructor is required to be there, so you have at least one set of eyes on any student performing forms and spar.

Also, having all the students present you have a greater selection to pair sparring buddies. It's not to show off how hard they can hit, but use all the techniques they have mastered during class time (for tourney you stick with your bread-and-butter techniques)

We have a make-up date for those who flunked one part or missed the date, one week later. You might have to show your stuff against one or more of the instructors...

In the past we had more flexibility in terms of tests, one lady told me she had to go up against 4 of the instructors, one of them having an enormous hight/range advantage!

And then of course the higher we ascend, we eventually will have to strut our stuff on a national level, in front of all the big wigs the organization has to offer! :)

goingd

Purple Belt
Reaction score
My plan for giving students feedback in the future when I'm teaching my own program is to return their testing form to them. They can see their scores and the notes I leave, and I can expect them to make the effort to improve on the matters in the future.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
My plan for giving students feedback in the future when I'm teaching my own program is to return their testing form to them. They can see their scores and the notes I leave, and I can expect them to make the effort to improve on the matters in the future.

Unless you plan to write an essay for each, those forms aren't terribly useful, particularly since the student won't have the proper frame of reference for your notes without a personal explanation.

Many schools that use this approach combine it with a private lesson so the corrections needed can be demonstrated in a one-on-one.

dbell

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Really great comments from all! Thank you for sharing. I do agree with HKphooey and FLTKD in that it helps the student in showing the skills they have learned to the parents and onlookers and also with dbell that you dont even tell them they are testing. I have done that once or twice with a student that just really deserved the recognition. May I ask how many students you have dbell? how do you manage?

I just moved to Ashland Kentucky, from Pompano Beach Florida, so the numbers are changing in my CWRyu school, in Florida I had about 15 students, and up here I am officially opening next week, but already have 5 students here. In my Kendo school, I have about 8 students in Florida of mine (although they are no longer training since I moved) and up here I have none yet, but I do have about 1500 students world wide (I inherited Hasumi Ryu Kendo when my Sensei/Soke passed away), and I am present for all 3rd Dan and up testings/beltings. (I go to them, or they come to me.) My, in which I have opened personally, largest Kendo class had about 55 at one time (and that school, in Texas, is with one of my 3rd Dans who took it over for me when I moved). In Aikido, when I was teaching for other Sensei, I have ran classes as large as about 40 for extended periods in time.

How do I manage? If I have good senior students/Dan ranks, I use them to help with the more advance students for the first part of the class, and I work with the new(er) students. For the second part of the class, I flip the roles and take the more advance students, and put the "helpers" with the new ones. After class, I work with the helpers...

On grading/advancing "my students" (by that, not another person's school, but my school) I watch each student as they progress, and know how they are doing. In each class, while the classes are small (which I prefer) I work one on one as often as I can with each student in each class. As/if the classes get bigger (Kendo being a good example for some reason...) I do the one on one in cycles, low belts one month or week, middle belts next, high belts next, BB next, then the next cycle I mix it up doing middle, BB, low, high belts, etc...

Latest Discussions