Group Lessons vs. Private Lessons

BushidoUK

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
My school has struggled over the last year for students.
However, one lad has been with me throughout, and although he has come on a lot, it is glaringly obvious he has not sparred with a lot of people.

One on one is great for correcting technical faults, giving more depth to bunkai but for a student to really improve, they must have a larger class to work in.

This will help them assess their own development, give them variety in training with different people with mixed abilities; different body shapes (Very important); and different attitudes.

Also, how can someone learn to teach unless they are taught in a group?

KenpoBruce2006

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I offer both private and group classes. In my time in Kenpo I have always been in schools that use both. It seems to get the best results. Group does offer more body types for sparring and drills but private gives me time to fine tune everything.

OP
AceHBK

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I will start training at other schools soon to help with getting use to other people. Great advice in here that I will definately remember and use. Thank you

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The students that have come the furthest, the fastest took both groups and privates from me. As has already been pointed out, privates allow you to focus on your specific material while groups allow you to work with many different people and lots of energy and momentum can build in the class.

You can often also get extra material in privates that may not be shown in group classes.
I have been taking private lessons for nearly 20 years and have benefited tremendously from them.

Keep us posted!! :)

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the Void (Where still, this merciless GOD torme
AceHBK said:
I will start training at other schools soon to help with getting use to other people. Great advice in here that I will definately remember and use. Thank you

Good luck to you!
icon14.gif

w.kaer

Green Belt
Reaction score
Here is a testimony that the mixed experience is optimal.

At my dojo back home, as a mid-level belt holder, there were times when I was asked to help teach our child's class. In order to explain a technique or stance to another student, sometimes I would have to demonstrate the technique. In taking the role of instructor, I would focus on my performance of that technique and I would be forced to think about the technique on a different level in order for the younger student to get it. That experience helped in my own adult classes (which were only 4-5 big). Because the class was so small there were many times in which the only people there were Sensei and me, so I would benefit from the private instruction, especially with self-defense techniques.

Tony

Black Belt
Reaction score
My Wing Chun class has about 6 people max and wednesday night there were only 3 of us! I think small classes are better as you can learn a lot more and the teacher can give you more of his time.

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
I like either one, because they both have their own "good" thing to offer. Private= more individualized attention for working on what you need/ want to work on. Group= well, it's pretty much self explanatory- you work with people because not everyone is the same (pain thresh holds,etc.).

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
We have a small tae kwon do roster at my school. It is great to have others to work with, you cant beat it. However, my hapkido class is starting to look like it is myself and the master. It is good because it is mostly review stuff and fine tuning, I am getting ready to test for my green belt in Hapkido and in a month and a half or so I will test for my green in Tae Kwon Do. In my school the belt ranking goes: white, yellow, orange, green, blue, purple, brown, red, black.

Look both are great and advantageous, however having a mixture of both is the best.

Hoshin,

Matt

lhommedieu

Black Belt
Reaction score
I like both for different reasons. Group classes are great for camraderie and for seeing the big picture. I don't like them so much when they move too quickly as I like to take my time. You also have the advantage of changing training partners frequently.

Currently I take private lessons from two teachers and have done so for the past five years. Here you get to ask more questions, slow down and concentrate on details, and fine-tune your skills.

Best,

Steve Lamade

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I see nothing wrong with studying either way.

What do I prefer?

I prefer to take Private Lessons. I did every week form 1998 through 2005, until my Instructor Manong Ted had his Stroke.

As stated by others Privates are good for working details and like the details and also capability of working timing, not just speed.

Grouped classes are good for people who learn with others better and also like it not as a passion or hobby but is into for a group thing with a friend or to make friends. The learning can be good here as well.

stone_dragone

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Private lessons are an excellent way to augment training, but in my opinion, training is better in the long run when there is a group. A small and consistant group (no more than 15 for one instructor) is ideal. It gives each student enough different individuals to see and absorb from while maintain a small group environment where eveyone gets personal instruction (if the instructor is quality, that is).

Henderson

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I think both Group and Private training have there pros and cons. Private training allows more one-on-one time with the instructor and can provide much detail (as already stated by others). Group training, for me at least, ofers the opportunity to share with others the experience, AND allows me to test what I have learned on varying body types. For example, if I only train privately when it comes to kansetsu waza (joint techniques), then I will become experienced in applying them only to the body type I train against. If that training offers a wide variety of body types (group class) I gain much more knowledge of the techniqe, how different body types react, and everybody benefits.

Just my $.02

Latest Discussions