Ground fighting

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Isn't a good strategy to move in, but not to stay in?

(Just asking.)

Yeah pretty much. You have to force the grappler to shoot from as are away as possible and as desparatly as possible. Hitting him hard creates that circumstance.

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
The term "grappling" is not very clear. Some people use it as "ground game only". Some people use it as "stand up throw + stand up lock + ground game".

Thank you. And since we are all entitled to interpret terms as we want, my interpretation of grappling did not include joint locks.

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
And by that I mean interpret them within reason, of course. There are certain limits on how far an interpretation can be stretched. For example you couldn't say that someone who knows a thousand kicks and has two submission holds in their repertoire is a grappler. LOL

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Actually traditional martial artist are a dying breed and most adults are now taking some type of MMA kick boxing or grappling.

Do you have a citation for that? I still see plenty of Karate/Kung Fu/TKD/Ninjutsu/etc schools around. MMA still looks like a minority pursuit to me.

BTW - "traditional" is a slippery term. Muay Thai and BJJ are older than TKD and most of the Japanese schools of Karate.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Yeah pretty much. You have to force the grappler to shoot from as far away as possible and as desparatly as possible. Hitting him hard creates that circumstance.
A good wrestler will wrap his opponent's arms and then move in. When his opponent's arms are wrapped, his opponent will lost his striking tool.

Last edited by a moderator:

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
A good wrestler will wrap his opponent's arms and then move in. When his opponent's arms are wrapped, his opponent will lost his striking tool.

You really are not likely to catch a persons arms if they can strike and are going full noise at you.

ST1Doppelganger

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Do you have a citation for that? I still see plenty of Karate/Kung Fu/TKD/Ninjutsu/etc schools around. MMA still looks like a minority pursuit to me.

BTW - "traditional" is a slippery term. Muay Thai and BJJ are older than TKD and most of the Japanese schools of Karate.

It's just a personal observation of what I've seen backed with no statistics.

Agreed you still see allot of somewhat traditional schools (mostly mc dojos) but when you look at those schools the majority of their students are children or young teens and are not 18 years of age or above or they are people looking for the health benefits of MA. (Still just an observation & not backed by any statistics).

This is why I specifically said you most likely would be going up against a MMA, kick boxer, or grappler in a street conflict.
(Talking about adults self defense scenarios not school yard scenarios)

I'm also aware of the term traditional being a slippery term and thats why I specifically mentioned those three arts or groupings of arts.

Again this is all just my opinion.

Last edited:

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm also aware of the term traditional being a slippery term and thats why I specifically mentioned those three arts or groupings of arts.

The reason I mentioned it was that your original post referred to traditional martial artists as a "dying breed" and stated that most adults were now studying MMA, kickboxing, or grappling. From my standpoint, most grapplers are traditional martial artists. The same applies to practitioners of Muay Thai (one of the more popular forms of kickboxing).

ST1Doppelganger

Brown Belt
Reaction score
The reason I mentioned it was that your original post referred to traditional martial artists as a "dying breed" and stated that most adults were now studying MMA, kickboxing, or grappling. From my standpoint, most grapplers are traditional martial artists. The same applies to practitioners of Muay Thai (one of the more popular forms of kickboxing).

Agreed they are considered a type of TMA but they are still pretty much the main arts that are in the MMA arts so thats why I referred to them the way I did i guess I should have referred to them as sport fighting arts instead.

My opinion is also bias since In my circumstance I've been looking for a Kung fu school for over three years now since I relocated and haven't found one i feel is worth giving my time to.

I've found multiple Taekwondo & MMA schools but there's only 2 Kung fu schools with limited scheduling amongst other limitations.

I'd rather be learning what people call internal Chinese arts (got to love classification or grouping) but since there aren't any my best choice of schools for me is a club that has individual instructors for BJJ, Judo & Aikido.

I guess I'm going back to my roots of BJJ & Judo and will be learning a new art of Aikido which I will admit has always intrigued me.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
It all comes down to "strategy".

Which is technically flawed. You are stopping two hands with one And you are doing it by trying to chase each hand and catch it before they hit your head.

So they have more opportunity to hit you than you have to block.

Then you are trying to isolate one of his hands as it is flying at you before the other one nailes you in the head or the first one retracts.

The faster that drill is done the less it works. Unless the guy is only throwing big shots that you are more likely to catch.

And you can drill that full noise with a set of gloves and a mouth guard.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Was this tested with a feint before a punch? Or a simultaneous high/low punch?

You can use this strategy to test any punching combination (not kicks). It has several main purposes:

1. If you just run toward your opponent with your big fist and try to hit on his face, you can put your opponent in "defense" mode.
2. You extend your big fist as close to your opponent's face as possible. This way, you don't give your opponent enough space to generate his powerful and fast punch. It works as similar to the boxing extend arm jab that you put your boxing glove right in front of your opponent's face..
3. Hide your head behind your big fist so your opponent will have hard time to hit your "head". This works similar to the boxing guard.
4. You only allow your opponent to punch from the left side of your left arm, or from the right side of your right arm. Your opponent will have no chance to hit between your arms. this will simplify your defense. You only have to protect your center from inside out. You don't have to protect your center from outside in.
5. It will create a good opportunity for you to get a "head lock" or "double over hooks" on your opponent. You can then use it to take your opponent down. This will be your main goal - to take your opponent down ASAP.
6. ...

Latest Discussions