Tong Zhongyi's 'The Method of Chinese Wrestling'

Kforcer

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
...does anyone have this book?

In it, he references a book on the art of Chin Na given to him by his grandfather, which he initially discarded, before returning to after much study in the martial arts whereupon he realized the immense value of the book.

The book 'The Method of Chinese Wrestling', is a collection of photos essentially made up of his efforts to make sense of the positions and maneuvers from his grandfather's text. The positions look very similar to those that could be found in shoot-wrestling, catch-wrestling, sambo, Brazilian jiu jitsu, judo etc.

But I can't help but think that perhaps there would be much utility in the original text of Tong Zhongyi's grandfather. Failing any know of the elder Zhongyi's text, does anyone know of texts on Chin Na predating 1935, the publication of Zhongyi's text(to my knowledge)?
[URL="http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=ntt_athr_dp_sr_1?_encoding=UTF8&sort=relevancerank&search-alias=books&field-author=Tong%20Zhongyi"][/URL]

OP
K

Kforcer

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Does anyone know anything about Tong Zhongyi or his grandfather, perchance, if not this book Zhongyi refers to?

The amount of ground submissions in Zhongyi's book seems to differ from a lot of the contemporary Chin Na I see, which seems to be more focused on standing grappling involving throws, takedowns and a number of wristlocks and combinations of takedowns and wristlocks.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
You need to Work on your powers of webfu my friend

Webfu strikes again, You may also want to talk to Tim Cartmell or join his forum and ask this question

Tong Zhongyi was an expert in a type of Mongolian Wrestling, Guan Jiao, not Chinese Wrestling which is Shuaijiao.

Tong Zhongyi (also known as Tong Liangchen), a Manchurian whose ancestral clan came from Shenyang in Liaoning Province, was born in 1878, the fourth year of the reign of the emperor Guangxu, in Zhili (Hebei), Cang County. His father, Tong Enrui, was a famous practitioner of the Da Liu He School in Cang County. Tong Zhongyi became an expert at Chinese Wrestling not through study with his family, but through his training with a senior student of his father, Tong Zhongyi’s older martial brother Cai Jintian. Cai Jintian was a Mongolian and was an expert at “Guan Jiao” (Mongolian Wrestling). Although Tong Zhongyi trained very hard, he had a hard time making serious improvement and would always lose matches to his older martial brother. Eventually, Tong moved to Baoding to assume the role of head martial arts instructor at the military training school. In Baoding he had the opportunity to train with other Chinese Wrestlers on a regular basis, and his skills quickly improved

And just as a note… the bold font makes people think you are yelling at them

Last edited:

mograph

Master of Arts
Reaction score

It's not as bad as ALL CAPS ... or BOLD ALL CAPS. Lower case italics are sweeter for emphasis.:)

OP
K

Kforcer

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
You need to Work on your powers of webfu my friend

Webfu strikes again, You may also want to talk to Tim Cartmell or join his forum and ask this question

Tong Zhongyi was an expert in a type of Mongolian Wrestling, Guan Jiao, not Chinese Wrestling which is Shuaijiao.

Hmmm. Your web-fu is strong. Thank you, sir. The bold, by the by, was a fatal error on my part. Not an error judgment, mind you, for it was not by design that I struck a key which emboldened by text, but an error in coordination.

So interesting. Guan Jiao. Hmmm. So I wonder then, where his grandfather and Chin Na fits into all of this. The story about his improvement is so interesting, too.

Latest Discussions