How to find an example of the official DuanWei system for Hsing I ??

TaiChiTJ

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Xue Sheng introduced us all to this new ranking system coming from mainland china called the duanwei system, and I have been surfing the net, researching it. There was also an article in last months kung fu tai chi magazine about it.

There are a gazillion examples of the duanwei system for changquan in youtube out there and I've watched many of those and much of the instructional wing chun offering.

According to the one essay in english language I have been able to find, an official duanwei system for the art of Hsing I has been created.

I have not been able to locate a video of that on youtube. Maybe I should figure out a way to search youku for it.

Anybody know a good way to do this?

OP
T

TaiChiTJ

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Got it. Found what I think are the right chinese characters for Hsing-I and searched youku with them. Came up with some examples of the duan wei form.

Its a no-brainer actually. Any newly choreographed two person forms in the hsing-i realm are going to look alot like the classical two person form An Shen Pao, so I wasn't expecting anything too different. Interesting though.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Xue Sheng introduced us all to this new ranking system coming from mainland china called the duanwei system, and I have been surfing the net, researching it. There was also an article in last months kung fu tai chi magazine about it.

There are a gazillion examples of the duanwei system for changquan in youtube out there and I've watched many of those and much of the instructional wing chun offering.

According to the one essay in english language I have been able to find, an official duanwei system for the art of Hsing I has been created.

I have not been able to locate a video of that on youtube. Maybe I should figure out a way to search youku for it.

Anybody know a good way to do this?

Sorry, but for the record...Xue Sheng thinks the duanwei system is rather silly and mostly useless as it applies to TCMA... and I do not like it at all for Xingyiquan...for Xingyi there is basically a 3 level system already that is traditional

OP
T

TaiChiTJ

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Point taken Xue Sheng, I was aware you are not at all enthusiastic about their new system.

I've just been researching it.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Point taken Xue Sheng, I was aware you are not at all enthusiastic about their new system.

I've just been researching it.

It's all good, I may have been a bit harsh there, I was over tired and just got off a 2.5 hour computer training course for work after being at work 8 hours before that. If it works for what you are doing that's cool. Do you have a link to look at? I am interested in taking a look

I am still not a fan of the Duan system but Sorry about the gruff post before

OP
T

TaiChiTJ

Brown Belt
Reaction score
No worries. I hope you get some rest and relaxation. I appreciate your posts here. I am not practicing hsing-i, just interested in knowing about the duan wei system and challenged myself to play detective. I am not sure because I do not read chinese, but I think this could be one of the duan sets:

http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMTExNTAyNA==.html

By the way, I don't know if you have seen the yang taichi duan wei sets. I think the following clip shows all six ( six seems to be the magic number), duan wei sets I think. If I have already posted this, my aplogies, I have been roaming around the internet with google advanced search, trying to find info:

The music is calming, I will leave it to someone else to comment on the tai chi.

So anyway I am learning about it.

by the way copying and pasting the chinese posts into an online translator reveals that not all mainlanders are that enthusiastic about the system either.

Last edited by a moderator: