Gross out for some

risingfire

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Greetings all,
I have a moderate case of Psoriasis which flairs when the in the fall – early spring. I am able to control it to a degree but all the handwork lately has left my knuckles busted from the plaque over rough skin. Every time I hit a bag I leave blood, not due to lack of skill, but skin that bursts. I can deal with the pain of the ripping skin, and I am hoping it will get better with what the doc has put me on, but for now I am stuck.
Does anyone have experience with gloves that might “slightly” pad the impact on my knuckles and yet still allow for pretty good movement of the fingers and such? I would appreciate the advice and direction.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
there are a lot of bag gloves out there., some more padded, some less.

However, having your skin break constantly is neither hygenic not good for you.

Maybe it's time to plan a trip to the Dead Sea and give your knuckles a rest.

OP
R

risingfire

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I agree, and I do for the most part, but at the same time, we are expected to work through some pain as long as its not harmful. My docs says its okay, just need to get something padded to help encourage the skin for a while.

jthomas1600

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I think it could be argued that bleeding on the bags every class is in bad form these days. I could see others not being really excited using the bag after you. It could also be argued that continually exposing open wounds to surfaces where dozens of other people are sweating and bleeding on is not wise. I'd wear something. Maybe even just boxing hand wraps.

Stac3y

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
My son has eczema that causes his hands to bleed. When it's bad, we sometimes have him wear cotton gloves under his sparring mitts to soak up any blood and keep him from getting blood on the other kids.

The problem with saying that you have to adjust your training to your body (I'm paraphrasing, obviously) and take time off is that some psoriasis/eczema/[insert chronic skin condition here] NEVER gets totally better. All you can really do about it is use the best preventative treatment you can find and cover it if you might bleed on someone. My son's skin can flare and split within minutes, unexpectedly. Naturally, he keeps gloves and bandages in his karate bag.

If your goal is to harden you hands, you might consider very light leather gloves rather than padded bag gloves. Those will take care of the hygiene issue without padding your hands too much.

Good luck with your psoriasis. Chronic skin conditions are a *****.

OP
R

risingfire

Orange Belt
Reaction score
My son has eczema that causes his hands to bleed. When it's bad, we sometimes have him wear cotton gloves under his sparring mitts to soak up any blood and keep him from getting blood on the other kids.

The problem with saying that you have to adjust your training to your body (I'm paraphrasing, obviously) and take time off is that some psoriasis/eczema/[insert chronic skin condition here] NEVER gets totally better. All you can really do about it is use the best preventative treatment you can find and cover it if you might bleed on someone. My son's skin can flare and split within minutes, unexpectedly. Naturally, he keeps gloves and bandages in his karate bag.

If your goal is to harden you hands, you might consider very light leather gloves rather than padded bag gloves. Those will take care of the hygiene issue without padding your hands too much.

Good luck with your psoriasis. Chronic skin conditions are a *****.

EXACTLY THANK YOU!! Its horrible, stress, food, weather all cause it to flair! Its freaking hard!! I was looking at the mma gloves, I just need something that breathes a bit, and I just have good motion with hands and fingers, anybody use a glove that way? Just to cusion my knuckles a bit.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
EXACTLY THANK YOU!! Its horrible, stress, food, weather all cause it to flair! Its freaking hard!! I was looking at the mma gloves, I just need something that breathes a bit, and I just have good motion with hands and fingers, anybody use a glove that way? Just to cusion my knuckles a bit.

If you are looking at MMA gloves get leather ones not the plastic. I can recommend the Fairtex ones, a bit pricey but I know you can put them in the washing machine and they come out fine! The velcro may go eventually but tape will sort that. When we wrap our fighters hands for a fight we often use gauze bandages, they are light and absorb sweat so should be fine with blood too. We have to make sure the palm is free so gets a bit fiddly but you'd be fine with using them as you would ordinary wraps/bandages. If they do get bloody and dry while you still have them on you can put your hands into a bowl of warm water and soak them off easily. The gauze bandages are cheap and can been thrown away after one use unless you want to wash them.
http://www.fairtex.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=12

We have the black and white MMA ones. We have a lot of pairs as we use them for comps so each time they have to be clean and free from blood, germs etc so I chuck them in the washing machine on a low heat and they come up as new.

dortiz

Black Belt
Reaction score
I feel that if your body wether regularly or at times has conditions that bleed its a sympton and therefore you should not be damaging it. If its all the time then sorry you should probably not be striking all the time.
I also think that great folks find ways to succeed. A week handed puncher may be the fastest kicker. My right hand always hurts but dont get caught by me elbow.
Just saying...you dont have to stop but you may want to stop abusing the hands and focus on your other tools. Especially if its chronic.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Respectfully disagree. With psoriasis and the like, the skin is already damaged from the plating of the skin. It is an autoimmune disorder, and not something that is worsened by training. The skin could break from punching a bag or it could break from holding a pencil or opening a door. It is pretty much a given that the skin cracking open is going to happen. It won't make the condition worse, and (perhaps most importantly) poster's doctor doesn't seem to indicate that this should preclude their training.

Living with autoimmune disorders generally doesn't mean adapting the activity to the body, it means adapting the body to the activity, and finding a way to deal with the discomfort and inconveniences that happen. Training often helps -- a lot.

As for gloves, how about trying workout gloves or cycling gloves? These are generally designed to protect the skin from abrasion, instead of being overly cushy. Many are machine washable so when you are through with the activity you can simply toss them in the washing machine with the rest of the laundry, let them air dry over night, then they are good to go for another round. :)

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree, and I do for the most part, but at the same time, we are expected to work through some pain as long as its not harmful. My docs says its okay, just need to get something padded to help encourage the skin for a while.
No offense -- but it's not just you that you have to be worried about. Nor is it about training through pain. Years ago, we didn't worry about contamination, but we aren't in that world anymore. Spilling blood on class training gear creates a potential exposure for everyone in the club. Including you. If it's your own bag, and you're the only one using it -- it's your call. In class? Be respectful of everyone else.

Note, please, that I am not suggesting that psoriasis or eczema are (automatically) signs of contagious disease or anything like that. But blood is blood... Contagious or potentially contagious things like rashes are a different question entirely!

OP
R

risingfire

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Respectfully disagree. With psoriasis and the like, the skin is already damaged from the plating of the skin. It is an autoimmune disorder, and not something that is worsened by training. The skin could break from punching a bag or it could break from holding a pencil or opening a door. It is pretty much a given that the skin cracking open is going to happen. It won't make the condition worse, and (perhaps most importantly) poster's doctor doesn't seem to indicate that this should preclude their training.

Living with autoimmune disorders generally doesn't mean adapting the activity to the body, it means adapting the body to the activity, and finding a way to deal with the discomfort and inconveniences that happen. Training often helps -- a lot.

As for gloves, how about trying workout gloves or cycling gloves? These are generally designed to protect the skin from abrasion, instead of being overly cushy. Many are machine washable so when you are through with the activity you can simply toss them in the washing machine with the rest of the laundry, let them air dry over night, then they are good to go for another round. :)

Yes! thank you.

OP
R

risingfire

Orange Belt
Reaction score
No offense -- but it's not just you that you have to be worried about. Nor is it about training through pain. Years ago, we didn't worry about contamination, but we aren't in that world anymore. Spilling blood on class training gear creates a potential exposure for everyone in the club. Including you. If it's your own bag, and you're the only one using it -- it's your call. In class? Be respectful of everyone else.

Note, please, that I am not suggesting that psoriasis or eczema are (automatically) signs of contagious disease or anything like that. But blood is blood... Contagious or potentially contagious things like rashes are a different question entirely!

No offense taken (but usually when someone starts out with that, it’s going to be offensive). I am here asking for help. The fact is you cannot get HIV or whatever because blood is on a bag, you have to have an open wound, the same with sweat, tears, saliva. I have to get it in your mouth, or another orifice, if I am HIV positive. So really we all should NEVER sweat or spit near each other, near impossible in MA. :roflmao:
I am respectful of classmates, thye are family.... again, that is why I am asking for help...this is not my first rodeo, I have been in the art for a total of seven years over time, and trained in various others on and off. I ended up wrapping body parts when needed. I just thought there might be something out there that might be new, with all the mma stuff.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
No offense taken (but usually when someone starts out with that, it’s going to be offensive). I am here asking for help. The fact is you cannot get HIV or whatever because blood is on a bag, you have to have an open wound, the same with sweat, tears, saliva. I have to get it in your mouth, or another orifice, if I am HIV positive. So really we all should NEVER sweat or spit near each other, near impossible in MA. :roflmao:
I am respectful of classmates, thye are family.... again, that is why I am asking for help...this is not my first rodeo, I have been in the art for a total of seven years over time, and trained in various others on and off. I ended up wrapping body parts when needed. I just thought there might be something out there that might be new, with all the mma stuff.

Hm, considering that one of the forum members here got a very nasty infection from a minor cut (feel free do search it, it contained pictures, your gross out doesn't hold a candle to his gross out) There is more in blood than HIV, and more on the bag than sweat.
Certain segments of the population think it's normal to fight through pain and neglect small injuries - such as small cuts - only to get a rude awakening!

OP
R

risingfire

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Hm, considering that one of the forum members here got a very nasty infection from a minor cut (feel free do search it, it contained pictures, your gross out doesn't hold a candle to his gross out) There is more in blood than HIV, and more on the bag than sweat.
Certain segments of the population think it's normal to fight through pain and neglect small injuries - such as small cuts - only to get a rude awakening!

To quote myself, "hiv or whatever," so yes I am fully aware of blood borne pathogens:) It sounds like your friend had a small cut, so therefore bacteria or viral agents got into it and it became infected or he became sick, sounds like the first. That had to be horrible. I know our floor in the dojang should be cleaned more often, it scares me sometimes. I have offered to clean it, but I get, "its fine, we do it." - they don't, anyways - You can get that from someone’s sweat or salvia, not just blood as you point out of course.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
To quote myself, "hiv or whatever," so yes I am fully aware of blood borne pathogens:) It sounds like your friend had a small cut, so therefore bacteria or viral agents got into it and it became infected or he became sick, sounds like the first. That had to be horrible. I know our floor in the dojang should be cleaned more often, it scares me sometimes. I have offered to clean it, but I get, "its fine, we do it." - they don't, anyways - You can get that from someone’s sweat or salvia, not just blood as you point out of course.

Exactly, but you will be bleeding, so you are at risk, since obviously the bags are not wiped down.

In any case, you have several good leads on glove bags.

A friend of mine got the regular bag gloves from century with the extra padding, like over stuffed oven mits. I always got corrected on the thumb position because they were so big and the 'thumb' stuck up.
I bought the wrap around ones, fingerless style, ultra cool, blue and white. But they can be a bit tough to get off...and they are leather...so washing is a bit iffy, not imposible, but you have to know what you are doing.

Latest Discussions