Greetings from Florida

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
Mou Meng Gung Fu

Mou Meng Gung Fu

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I would say I was delusional if I claimed 30+ years of martial arts experience but couldn't even practice respect at a beginner level. I would say I was delusional if I tried to form an opinion about another martial artist based on gender, age, height or weight. I would say I was delusional if I thought I needed to ask someone else for permission to do my own thing. I would say I was delusional if I thought I knew more about someone's style than the founder does. I would say I was delusional if I spent all my time scrutinizing other martial artists than actually training. If that is the case, then yes I am delusional.

I have no further comments. I'm done talking to you about my style. It's obvious you don't even care. I don't even understand why you keep coming back or trolling my threads. I honestly don't look at your threads ay all. You don't even cross my mind. I'm too busy focussing on myself to worry about what you do. Just being honest.

oaktree

Master of Arts
Reaction score
There are lots of different blades in the PI. But a katana-like one I haven't seen (doesn't mean it doesn't exist...)

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
A ginunting i guess would be the closest comparison if that is what wumingquan is referring to other than some slight resembling you are correct there is none.

DanT

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
So in total (before teaching on your own in 2012):

-2 months TKD (1991)
-6 months Karate (1999)
-4 classes Fencing (2000)
-5 years Wing Chun (2000-2005)
-5 years MMA + FMA (2005-2010)

I don't feel like this is enough training to start your own style. I think the best thing for you is to find a good Wing Chun Sifu and finish your training. Then find a good teacher in another martial art and complete your training in that. Once you have reached a high level of skill in 3-4 martial arts, then create your own.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
So the brown belt who taught you was "rewarded" with the rank of master or senior instructor? Umm, he was a brown belt, how did he jump to master rank or sernior instructor rank?
Trying to stay within the bounds of the rules against fraudbusting here ...

If I'm following the story correctly, the brown belt who become an instructor was another student at Mr. Santella's school. (As was the "Judo/BJJ black belt" friend/instructor that MMGF did a lot of his work with.) Due to the MartialTalk prohibition on fraudbusting, I'm not going to publicly* go into the red flags I've found regarding Mr. Santella, but suffice it to say that it wouldn't even be surprising to see that sort of promotion going on.

If so, it's possible that a lot of the issues you're seeing with MMGF's understanding may go back to his previous head instructor.

*(Feel free to PM me for details.)

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
I was saying that my cartoon has a copyright for name over a trade mark

Right because it is a literary work or artists work.

For a business or school or organization etc you would get a trademark to protect someone else from using it.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
So in total (before teaching on your own in 2012):

-2 months TKD (1991)
-6 months Karate (1999)
-4 classes Fencing (2000)
-5 years Wing Chun (2000-2005)
-5 years MMA + FMA (2005-2010)

I don't feel like this is enough training to start your own style. I think the best thing for you is to find a good Wing Chun Sifu and finish your training. Then find a good teacher in another martial art and complete your training in that. Once you have reached a high level of skill in 3-4 martial arts, then create your own.
Eh, a number of successful styles have been founded by people who started out with significantly less training than that.

Of course, 99.5% of the individuals who create their own style with that sort of limited background lack the talent, brains, drive, spark, whatever to do a good job of it and their new system either fades away without making any impact or becomes the basis for a mediocre McDojo somewhere. It doesn't offend me as long as the person involved doesn't flat out lie about their background and qualifications. It's like small businesses. Most of them fail in the first year or two because the founder didn't understand the market or what was required or didn't have the talent or work ethic or whatever. A few go on to be great successes. So with martial arts.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Maybe this has nothing to do with the thread, but, I think to some extent, a lot of non traditional Martial Artists, at least in striking arts, form their own way of teaching things. Maybe not a "style or a system", but it's unique to what they do and how they do it. Some really well known Martial Artists, too.

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Oh Tony, I admire your "fraudbusting" style and patience to explain even the basics. :)
Most of them fail in the first year or two because the founder didn't understand the market or what was required or didn't have the talent or work ethic or whatever. A few go on to be great successes. So with martial arts.
Just adding something here. Martial skill is just a percentage of the skill required to be successful. A founder (leader, instructor...) needs to be charismatic and understand people and business. These 3 things alone perhaps brings more students than martial skill alone (with bad or no marketing and so on...).

OP
Mou Meng Gung Fu

Mou Meng Gung Fu

Purple Belt
Reaction score
So if a style was founded by midgets can we not form an educated guess that they can't jump kick very high?

What makes that an educated guess, and not a biased opinion? I wonder. But in short, "No," we can not make that biased opinion. For all we know, some midgets may have found a way to jump kick very high. If they have practiced Midget-style kickboxing for many years, regardless of whether they can kick very high or not, should I insult their style or make biased remarks based on their size? In short, "No," midgets have every right to be as passionate about their martial arts training as anyone else. But there you go, again, getting stuckup on stylized nonsense. I don't feel where you're coming from. All I feel is your skepticism and criticism. Which is fine, it doesn't bother me that you have questions. That's good. What bothers me is that I feel like you've trained for so long in what you do that you have actually become biased. You are stuck in your ways, and incapable of seeing anything else that does not fit in accordance with your ways. You are more interested in pressing your education on to others, rather than opening up your mind (emptying your cup) in order to learn new things. You keep spitting out names, schools, forms, styles, etc. You are completely off track and out of bounds. You can not taste my tea, until you empty your cup. If you are not interested in my tea, why come to my teahouse? There are plenty of other teahouses on this forum. I don't go to your teahouse and spit in your tea. So again, I have nothing really left to say to you guys. I'm not answering any more of your questions about me personally, my martial arts history, or the style that I practice now. You have lost my patience with your investigations.

If anyone else has any questions in regards to wumingquan or myself, feel free to PM me and I will oblige.

Thank you for your time. :)

TwentyThree

Green Belt
Reaction score
What makes that an educated guess, and not a biased opinion? I wonder. But in short, "No," we can not make that biased opinion. For all we know, some midgets may have found a way to jump kick very high. If they have practiced Midget-style kickboxing for many years, regardless of whether they can kick very high or not, should I insult their style or make biased remarks based on their size? In short, "No," midgets have every right to be as passionate about their martial arts training as anyone else. But there you go, again, getting stuckup on stylized nonsense. I don't feel where you're coming from. All I feel is your skepticism and criticism. Which is fine, it doesn't bother me that you have questions. That's good. What bothers me is that I feel like you've trained for so long in what you do that you have actually become biased. You are stuck in your ways, and incapable of seeing anything else that does not fit in accordance with your ways. You are more interested in pressing your education on to others, rather than opening up your mind (emptying your cup) in order to learn new things. You keep spitting out names, schools, forms, styles, etc. You are completely off track and out of bounds. You can not taste my tea, until you empty your cup. If you are not interested in my tea, why come to my teahouse? There are plenty of other teahouses on this forum. I don't go to your teahouse and spit in your tea. So again, I have nothing really left to say to you guys. I'm not answering any more of your questions about me personally, my martial arts history, or the style that I practice now. You have lost my patience with your investigations.

If anyone else has any questions in regards to wumingquan or myself, feel free to PM me and I will oblige.

Would you mind, please, answering my question about katana-like blades in the FMA's? Thanks.

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Maybe this has nothing to do with the thread, but, I think to some extent, a lot of non traditional Martial Artists, at least in striking arts, form their own way of teaching things. Maybe not a "style or a system", but it's unique to what they do and how they do it. Some really well known Martial Artists, too.
Not two people are the same, nor have the same body. Everyone performs on his own way. Regardless the style. Some transmit what they learned as similar as possible, some put their personal print more freely (which may be better or not)...

OP
Mou Meng Gung Fu

Mou Meng Gung Fu

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Would you mind, please, answering my question about katana-like blades in the FMA's? Thanks.

I don't practice FMA, so maybe you should ask someone who practices FMA (and I think someone already answered you, so you might want to research what they said first - I'm not an expert in FMA).

OP
Mou Meng Gung Fu

Mou Meng Gung Fu

Purple Belt
Reaction score
PicsArt_04-20-04.37.44.jpg

oaktree

Master of Arts
Reaction score

• You set up a tea shop and sell horse water as tea then get upset that I tell the town people you are selling horse water you then say I don't understand your tea even if I am highly qualified(actually i am a tea snob and I drink only high end tea). You are welcome to my tea house anytime but my tea is high end high quality high price.

oaktree

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I don't practice FMA, so maybe you should ask someone who practices FMA (and I think someone already answered you, so you might want to research what they said first - I'm not an expert in FMA).
"FMA uses katana-type swords, but they use them very differently as opposed to their JMA counterparts. Is it right then to say that FMA is wrong? That they have bad form. "
This was your words couple pages back.

TwentyThree

Green Belt
Reaction score
I don't practice FMA, so maybe you should ask someone who practices FMA (and I think someone already answered you, so you might want to research what they said first).

Actually, you're the one who claimed:

FMA uses katana-type swords, but they use them very differently as opposed to their JMA counterparts. Is it right then to say that FMA is wrong? That they have bad form? Or to be the devil's advocate, is it right for FMA stylists to say that JMA stylists are wrong? That they have bad form, or no true understanding of how to wield a sword?

That's why I asked you. If you're going to make a claim, surely you have a source for it, right?

I am an active FMA player and I study kobudo. I'm kind of a weapons nerd. That's why I perked up at this claim, and am wondering where it came from, as it's news to me.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions