Greetings from Florida

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mou Meng Gung Fu

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Hello to all my fellow martial artists around the internet. I just got a new phone and I'm not used to all the social networking and browser features yet so please forgive me as I'm on a tiny screen. I live in Florida, USA and I have been practicing martial arts on and off for about 25+ years now. I recently became an enforcer or bouncer at a private security agency here in Southwest Florida where I work as a security enforcement officer on the weekends. I'm also the founder of my own Gung Fu system called the Nameless Boxing style or Mou Meng Kuen in Cantonese, which is just a name I recently came up with, not to be confused with Shapeless Boxing and other TCMA styles with similar names or meanings. Before recently Mou Meng Gung Fu had no name and was not really a distinct martial art system or school of thought. Several martial artists from many different schools and styles have influenced me on my own personal journey throughout the years and Mou Meng Kuen is merely the result of that experience. I am not a self-proclaimed master of martial arts, nor do I really have any students apart from my closest family and friends. I'm not really interested in street fighting or sport fighting, or in doing anything really amazing and hard to do. My martial art is very simple. It doesn't require much strength, energy, flexibility, training time or training space to learn my style. Mou Meng Kuen is just a very basic training method designed for self-defense, healthy fitness and longevity. I will probably make a more in-depth elaboration of Mou Meng Gung Fu in the future. But for now I just wanted to introduce myself and say hello to all of the other martial artists here. Like many others, I registered with this group to learn and study new things for my own personal growth and development in martial arts. I am really interested in getting to know everyone here and also maybe sharing some of my knowledge and experience with all of you as well. Thank you ahead of time for accepting me into your MA circle. I hope I learn a lot. Kudos.

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Hello to all my fellow martial artists around the internet. I just got a new phone and I'm not used to all the social networking and browser features yet so please forgive me as I'm on a tiny screen. I live in Florida, USA and I have been practicing martial arts on and off for about 25+ years now. I recently became an enforcer or bouncer at a private security agency here in Southwest Florida where I work as a security enforcement officer on the weekends. I'm also the founder of my own Gung Fu system called the Nameless Boxing style or Mou Meng Kuen in Cantonese, which is just a name I recently came up with, not to be confused with Shapeless Boxing and other TCMA styles with similar names or meanings. Before recently Mou Meng Gung Fu had no name and was not really a distinct martial art system or school of thought. Several martial artists from many different schools and styles have influenced me on my own personal journey throughout the years and Mou Meng Kuen is merely the result of that experience. I am not a self-proclaimed master of martial arts, nor do I really have any students apart from my closest family and friends. I'm not really interested in street fighting or sport fighting, or in doing anything really amazing and hard to do. My martial art is very simple. It doesn't require much strength, energy, flexibility, training time or training space to learn my style. Mou Meng Kuen is just a very basic training method designed for self-defense, healthy fitness and longevity. I will probably make a more in-depth elaboration of Mou Meng Gung Fu in the future. But for now I just wanted to introduce myself and say hello to all of the other martial artists here. Like many others, I registered with this group to learn and study new things for my own personal growth and development in martial arts. I am really interested in getting to know everyone here and also maybe sharing some of my knowledge and experience with all of you as well. Thank you ahead of time for accepting me into your MA circle. I hope I learn a lot. Kudos.
Hi and welcome aboard! :) you have a simple ethos to your new style.. simplicity is good for me :) where do you see your new art going? you would want to gain students? is just for you? Wishes to you

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Welcome aboard, MMGF, and best wishes in developing your art.

OP
Mou Meng Gung Fu

Mou Meng Gung Fu

Purple Belt
Reaction score
My apologies, I didn't see all of your responses until just a little bit ago. Thank you thank you.

A little bit about myself:
- I am not a master of Martial Art
- I have 25+ years of off & on experience in Martial Arts
- I trained under various teachers
- I trained at various schools and locations
- I am the founder of Mou Meng Kuen
- I claim no rank in any System
- I do not publicly teach Martial Art

OP
Mou Meng Gung Fu

Mou Meng Gung Fu

Purple Belt
Reaction score
More about myself:

As far back as I can remember, I always had an interest in martial arts. As a 3-year-old boy in the late 80's, I had exposure to a lot of fighting in cartoons and movies. Ninja Turtles, Bat Man, G.I. Joe and other TV shows are honestly what made me play with sticks to begin with. Then as I matured, my interest started to grow. Eventually, I found myself enrolled in a traditional Tae Kwon Do program ran for children 5-6 under a Korean instructor named Master Dewey Troung Tyler.

I was only there for 2 months (2-3 times a week) before I lost interest after failing to break a brick. I just wasn't old enough to understand yet, so I dropped out. But I still practiced some of the techniques he showed me, despite not knowing how to use them. When I turned 14-yrs-old, I watched a lot of movies like Indiana Jones and Kung Fu: The Legend Continues, which made me interested in trying again. My neighbor happened to be a man twice my age whom everyone called Mister Rokko, who just happened to be a brown-belt Shotokan Karate junior instructor at that time. I became his backyard private student for 6 months, at which time he brought me to his instructor (Grandmaster Santella) and had me tested with the other Shotokan Karate students. I was awarded 3 ranks by the end of it and earned a red-belt. For teaching me, Sensei Rokko earned a black-belt and was also promoted to the rank of Master or senior instructor (I believe that was in 1999).

To be continued...

Last edited:

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
More about myself:

As far back as I can remember, I always had an interest in martial arts. As a 3-year-old boy in the late 80's, I had exposure to a lot of fighting in cartoons and movies. Ninja Turtles, Bat Man, G.I. Joe and other TV shows are honestly what made me play with sticks to begin with. Then as I matured, my interest started to grow. Eventually, I found myself enrolled in a traditional Tae Kwon Do program ran for children 5-6 under a Korean instructor named Master Dewey Troung Tyler.

I was only there for 2 months (2-3 times a week) before I lost interest after failing to break a brick. I just wasn't old enough to understand yet, so I dropped out. But I still practiced some of the techniques he showed me, despite not knowing how to use them. When I turned 14-yrs-old, I watched a lot of movies like Indiana Jones and Kung Fu: The Legend Continues, which made me interested in trying again. My neighbor happened to be a man twice my age whom everyone called Mister Rokko, who just happened to be a brown-belt Shotokan Karate junior instructor at that time. I became his backyard private student for 6 months, at which time he brought me to his instructor (Grandmaster Santella) and had me tested with the other Shotokan Karate students. I was awarded 3 ranks by the end of it and earned a red-belt. For teaching me, Sensei Rokko earned a black-belt and was also promoted to the rank of Master.
What is the experience you have with CMA? From what you've sated so far, I've kind of assumed a CMA was our primary art.

OP
Mou Meng Gung Fu

Mou Meng Gung Fu

Purple Belt
Reaction score
What is the experience you have with CMA? From what you've sated so far, I've kind of assumed a CMA was our primary art.

I haven't gotten that far yet. But I will, in due time. Just relax and absorb everything I say about myself. It will give you a better perspective. ;)

OP
Mou Meng Gung Fu

Mou Meng Gung Fu

Purple Belt
Reaction score
More about myself:

Prior to 1999, martial art was just an off and on hobby for me. But by the age of fifteen, I was beginning to take it more seriously. I invested countless hours in internet research, library books, films and movies, studying as much as I could about the martial arts. That's how I found out about legends like Chuck Norris and Bruce Lee, who really influenced me as a teenager. I was also infatuated with Shaolin spirituality and Shaolin Kung Fu, and it was through this exposure to Shaolin's fame and mysticism that drew my energy to it. I wanted to be like Bruce Lee, or the Shaolin monks, so that's when I became more passionate and decided to learn Chinese martial arts. By the year 2000, I was studying the Tao of Jeet Kune Do and applying it to my Shotokan Karate style. That's how I found out about the Jun Fan Gung Fu Institute.

To be continued...

Last edited:
OP
Mou Meng Gung Fu

Mou Meng Gung Fu

Purple Belt
Reaction score
More about myself:

I continued to practice Karate over the years, modifying it and adapting it to myself as I trained. Being young, I wanted to test my skills. I had some exposure to bare-knuckle boxing and illegal street fighting as a result. In the year 2000, I enrolled in a western fencing studio. I went to 4 lessons, but the classes were too expensive so I dropped out. Shortly afterwards, I met a grandmaster named Sifu David Gallaher who accepted me as his student. Sifu Gallaher forced me to empty my cup and forget everything I had learned previously from other styles. It was at that moment when I began my training in Wing Chun Kuen.

To be continued...

OP
Mou Meng Gung Fu

Mou Meng Gung Fu

Purple Belt
Reaction score
More about myself:

I met two Karate practitioners in the year 2000 who would later become like brothers to me. One was my junior, a Kyokushin stylist named Brother Erik Klow, and the other, my senior Master Maruyama who was a Shotokan instructor (and a senior student of Hung Suen Wing Chun Kuen). Following this, I met another man named Grandmaster Gallaher who started training me in Yip Man Wing Chun Kuen, a style that heavily influenced my future training. From the year 2000 to around 2005, my primary focus was on Wing Chun and sparring. Towards the middle of 2003, my Wing Chun was getting better, and soon I started taking additional side classes in Jeet Kune Do, the martial art that Bruce Lee founded. I did some WC/JKD training with my Sihings (Wayne King Jr., Jay Koller and Gary Leverson- all now Sifus at their own locations) as well as some Sayoc Kali training and sparring under 2 of Grandmaster Gallaher's other FMA students. Through the Wing Chun connection, I met a lot of TCMA stylists from a lot of different schools and martial arts during that time period. The heavy cultural exchange would have a big effect on my training.

To be continued...

Last edited:
OP
Mou Meng Gung Fu

Mou Meng Gung Fu

Purple Belt
Reaction score
More about myself:

In 2004, I met a 34th generation Shaolin warrior monk by the name of Shi Yan Ming, who showed me some TCMA demonstrations. It was at this time I began to take more of an interest in Qi Gong and Tai Chi, which also complimented my TCMA training. Then in 2005, I began backyard private training with Sensei Mears, a Kodokan Judo and Brazilian Jiujitsu black-belt holder from GM Santella's institute. I continued to train privately with Sensei Mears for a few years, then after a break from martial arts, we both re-enrolled at GM Santella's institute and joined the MMA program. During the MMA classes we would train using MMA's methodologies and orthodox structure, then for backyard private training we would practice WCK/JKD and traditional Judo/Aikido, mixing all of our different elements together. At that time, we simply refered to it as "Martial Arts" training.

To be continued...

Last edited:

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Then in 2005, I began backyard private training with Sensei Mears, a Kodokan Judo and Brazilian Jiujitsu black-belt holder from GM Santella's institute. I continued to train privately with Sensei Mears for a few years, then after a break from martial arts, we both re-enrolled at GM Santella's institute and joined the MMA program.
By "GM Santella" I presume you mean this guy? The Instructors - Martial Arts University

If so, I've got a question for you. During your time at "Soke" Santella's academy, did he claim to hold a black belt in BJJ? If so, did he say who awarded it?

I ask because:
  1. His bio is curiously vague on specifics. He claims to hold black belt or teaching credentials in 9 arts but doesn't say what any of them are. Neither he nor any of his instructors list any background or qualifications in BJJ.
  2. Nevertheless, his academy offers BJJ classes and BJJ is listed as one of the major programs for the school.
  3. I can't find any indication elsewhere that Mr. Santella holds rank in BJJ or is a qualified instructor.
  4. When you were posting as Fujian Animal over at Martial Arts Planet, you made some claims regarding his Judo qualifications that were wildly incorrect. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and presume that you were repeating what you had been told rather than making up those claims on your own. If so, I'm wondering what other sorts of stories he might have told.

(Note to the mods - don't worry, I'm not going to engage in any fraudbusting on this forum. I'm just gathering info to see if I need to start some investigations elsewhere.)

OP
Mou Meng Gung Fu

Mou Meng Gung Fu

Purple Belt
Reaction score
By "GM Santella" I presume you mean this guy? The Instructors - Martial Arts University

If so, I've got a question for you. During your time at "Soke" Santella's academy, did he claim to hold a black belt in BJJ? If so, did he say who awarded it?

I ask because:
  1. His bio is curiously vague on specifics. He claims to hold black belt or teaching credentials in 9 arts but doesn't say what any of them are. Neither he nor any of his instructors list any background or qualifications in BJJ.
  2. Nevertheless, his academy offers BJJ classes and BJJ is listed as one of the major programs for the school.
  3. I can't find any indication elsewhere that Mr. Santella holds rank in BJJ or is a qualified instructor.
  4. When you were posting as Fujian Animal over at Martial Arts Planet, you made some claims regarding his Judo qualifications that were wildly incorrect. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and presume that you were repeating what you had been told rather than making up those claims on your own. If so, I'm wondering what other sorts of stories he might have told.

(Note to the mods - don't worry, I'm not going to engage in any fraudbusting on this forum. I'm just gathering info to see if I need to start some investigations elsewhere.)

I never said he learned BJJ "at" GM Santella's school, just that he was "from" that school. While I was at GM Santella's school, all we practiced was Karate (in the 1990's), Judo and MMA (in the 2000's). I do not recall him ever making any personal claims about himself lol. All he ever cared about was training. This might seem odd to you, but to be honest I never asked for his credentials. I didn't have to. He was a good teacher. I met many martial artists from that school.

Last edited:
OP
Mou Meng Gung Fu

Mou Meng Gung Fu

Purple Belt
Reaction score
More about myself:

Between the years 2005 and 2010, there was a lot of cross-training and sparring going on in Sensei Mears' garage-style "Martial Arts" program. I was his assistant 80% of the time. We trained with our closest friends and family members. It was very informal, very casual, very neighborhood friendly. I eventually branched off from Sensei Mears' garage and started cross-training in Brother Jon Young's backyard also, which was just 2 streets away. Whereas the training at Sensei Mears' garage was more tactically geared for Street Defense (with protective gear and metal knives), the training in Brother Young's backyard was mostly geared towards traditional Bokuto Sword Freestyle Fencing drills (without protective gear) and improvised WCK/FMA knife-weilding techniques (using sticks instead of knives), with some sensitivity drills and philosophical discussions pertaining to martial arts. By the year 2012, stylized systems no longer mattered to me. I was doing everything- researching my own experience, absorbing the useful, discarding the useless, and adding what was specifically my own. A different non-classical "Martial Arts" program emerged, the foundation of what I would refer to many years later as Wumingquan (or "Nameless Boxing").

To be continued...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.