Great American Smokeout

Maltair

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Heard wed on the radio that this was happing on thur. Ran out of smokes wed night and didn't get anymore.
Stayed real busy thur with raking leaves, working on the jeep. 8 hrs into it I was a wreck, felt like a kid that didn't take his ritlan. Stopped at the store and bought some nicorette. That stuff tastes like ***. Chewed that during MA class. Everybody was congratulating me. Afterwords we went out to a restaraunt for dinner and drinks. They swithed to a non-smoking place for me. Had a couple drinks, thats when I like to smoke. Was supposed to stop at the store for icecream and other stuff but couldn't because I knew there were smokes in there.
It's now 34.5 hrs since I've had a smoke. smoke smoke smoke

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Dude

Get the patch, much better then the gum.

OP
Maltair

Maltair

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Well it's Sat afternoon, still going. Hard part will be tonight at work. Used to getting out of the fab and going out for a smoke and game of chess. I'll go to the gym and practice forms I think.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Maltair said:
Stopped at the store and bought some nicorette. That stuff tastes like ***.

Excuse me.... but.... umm, how do you know what *** tastes like? Or is that what you imagine what *** tastes like... now the question is... why did you even ponder what *** tastes like? <shudders>

Ah, well... trying to quit myself... go for hours and hours without a smoke and then AHHHHHHHH AAAAARRRRGGGGHHHH! .... eventually I'll get it right.

SIGH

Gin-Gin

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Maltair said:
Well it's Sat afternoon, still going. Hard part will be tonight at work. Used to getting out of the fab and going out for a smoke and game of chess. I'll go to the gym and practice forms I think.
Good idea...keep going, Maltair--You Can Do It!!

Xequat

Black Belt
Reaction score
Good luck, Maltair! I think it's different for everyone, so I hope you find the quitting technique that works best for you. My dad tried quitting a bunch of times cold turkey and it worked once...for seven years, then he went back. Now, he just tells himself that he is a smoker, but he just doesn't want one right now, and he stopped keeping track of how long it's been because it just brings attention to it. I think it's been about 6 months to a year. So, maybe mental tricks will work for you, or the patch, or gum, or finding something else to smoke, hehehe. Who knows? But I wish you success.

Adept

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Maltair said:
It's now 34.5 hrs since I've had a smoke. smoke smoke smoke

I've just hit 22 hours myself. Not the first time I've 'quit', either. I'm really feeling it this time though...

OP
Maltair

Maltair

Blue Belt
Reaction score
90 hrs, seems more like 90 days. Work wasn't so bad last night. Went out to the smoke shack and watched a game of chess. Don't really feel the urge for a smoke but boy am I irritable. That and I've put my shoes on a couple times to go outside and I didn't know why, I keep feeling like I'm forgeting something when ever I leave the house, my smokes and lighter. And when I'm driving a feel like I should be doing something else.
It's maddning I say MADDNING! Muhahahahaha :mp5:

Gin-Gin

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Adept said:
I've just hit 22 hours myself. Not the first time I've 'quit', either. I'm really feeling it this time though...
Hang in there, Adept! Keep yourself occupied with training & whatever necessary to keep your hands busy from lighting up...You Can Do It Too!:)

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I watched my dad beg for cigarettes on his death bed with a knowing glow in his eyes that he couldn't smoke in ICU and that he was at the mercy of more than his addiction.

Y'all keep strong. You can do it.

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You can do it, Maltair. My doctor told me I couldn't have more than ONE cup a day of coffee a year ago this month. The first few months were murder (2-3 BIG Starbucks Dark replaced by 1 medium). Now I don't even feel it. Actually, I do. I feel much better.

Best of luck and you might speak with your Doctor. Perhaps she has some ideas and alternatives to ease the transition?

Icewater

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I'm 3 months and holding with the non-smoking deal. Let me tell you that after about 2 months I felt energy that I haven't had in years! So KEEP IT UP! It's a MENTAL battle!

White Belt
Reaction score
Good luck to all of those here that are quitting. As someone who had tried to quit unsuccessfully many times (and finally made it) I know how hard it can be. If you aren't able to quit right now don't stress over it. Any good addictions counselor will tell you that relapse is often part of recovery. Just get back up and give it another go.

Adept

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
*is embarrased*

All went well until yesterday afternoon.

I was feeling the pangs, walked past some people having a smoke outside the local supermarket, and then past the tobacco counter inside.

After this packet. Five left, then it's quit time. Again.

Damn. Those 'last ones' are better than sex.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Like they say--being around others who are smoking is one of the biggest reasons for falling back to old habits. Give it another shot though! Talk about self-defense...you have a chance to add 15 years to your life here. The martial arts are much less likely to do that for you.

Adept

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
arnisador said:
Like they say--being around others who are smoking is one of the biggest reasons for falling back to old habits. Give it another shot though! Talk about self-defense...you have a chance to add 15 years to your life here. The martial arts are much less likely to do that for you.

It doesn't help that several of my mates are smokers, or that I work in a smoke filled nightclub with several other people who also smoke.

Seems everywhere I go, theres someone lighting up.

Man, I'm really feeling it. Not going to cave in this time.

*grits teeth*

Latest Discussions