Great American Smokeout

OP
Maltair

Maltair

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Adept said:
*is embarrased*

I was feeling the pangs, walked past some people having a smoke outside the local supermarket, and then past the tobacco counter inside.

I know how you feel. I was at the store yesterday and I was going to by a pack, wasn't even thinking about it. But then I saw the price, 5.25! That woke me up.

I've been lucky in that my family up here has all been going in the back bedroom or outside to smoke. They have been very helpfull.
Last night I was up late and was really craving, I came out looking for somebody's smokes couldn't find any. Started looking for longies but couldn't find any ashtrays even.
I'm glad all that was gone or I would have caved.

This is hard and it's not getting any easier yet. I do a lot of deep breathing. Good air in, bad air out. Good air in, bad air out. Rinse and repeat...

Gin-Gin

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Adept said:
*is embarrased*

All went well until yesterday afternoon.

I was feeling the pangs, walked past some people having a smoke outside the local supermarket, and then past the tobacco counter inside.

After this packet. Five left, then it's quit time. Again.

Damn. Those 'last ones' are better than sex.
:lol: I remember that feeling. Don't be so hard on yourself, Adept. You're trying to break a long-time habit. I wasn't successful the first 2 times I quit. The important thing is that I didn't give up, & neither (IMO) should you. Yes, it will be harder since you work in a place where people smoke, but if you can change your other surroundings & habits, & find something else to keep your hands busy, hopefully you'll be successful in the end. When I quit, I carried chewing gum with me wherever I went, as well as hard candy.

Hang in there! :)

Gin-Gin

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Maltair said:
I know how you feel. I was at the store yesterday and I was going to by a pack, wasn't even thinking about it. But then I saw the price, 5.25! That woke me up. I've been lucky in that my family up here has all been going in the back bedroom or outside to smoke. They have been very helpfull.
Last night I was up late and was really craving, I came out looking for somebody's smokes couldn't find any. Started looking for longies but couldn't find any ashtrays even. I'm glad all that was gone or I would have caved.

This is hard and it's not getting any easier yet. I do a lot of deep breathing. Good air in, bad air out. Good air in, bad air out. Rinse and repeat...
Hey Maltair,

The climbing price of cigs was another good reason to quit. I now spend that $ on Kenpo. :D Glad you didn't cave...we know it's hard.

Keep up the good work! :)

OP
Maltair

Maltair

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Gin-Gin said:
I wasn't successful the first 2 times I quit. The important thing is that I didn't give up, & neither (IMO) should you.
Hang in there! :)

This is my third attempt in as many years. Each time you try and quit is practice for the next time. Come on adept, we can do this. We are Martial Artists, we will achive our goal. :partyon:

OP
Maltair

Maltair

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Been looking for this

• After 20 minutes

Blood pressure and pulse are normalised, blood circulation increases.
  • After 8 hours

The level of carbon monoxide in the blood falls.
  • After 48 hours

Carbon monoxide from smoke and nicotine have disappeared completely.
  • After 2-3 days

Less or no phlegm in the throat, fewer breathing difficulties.
  • After 5-7 days

Your senses of taste and smell will improve, your breath is fresher, your teeth are cleaner and your energy levels higher.
  • After 2-3 weeks

Physical withdrawal symptoms will stop, and you can now go several hours without thinking about smoking. Your risk of blood clots (thrombosis ) is reduced.
  • After 4 weeks

Coughing, blocked sinuses and breathing difficulties should disappear. Less fatigue. More energy. The lungs are better able to resist infection.
  • After 2-3 months

Lung function improves by 5 per cent.
  • After 1 year

The risk of developing cardiovascular disease is halved.
  • After 2-3 years

The risk of developing severe pneumonia or flu is the same as for a non-smoker. Your risk of heart disease, angina (chest pains) and stroke continues to fall.
  • After 5-10 years

The risk of developing cardiovascular disease or thrombosis (blood clots) is the same as for a non-smoker.
  • After 15-20 years

The risk of lung, throat, oesophageal or bladder cancer is the same as for a non-smoker. But heavy smokers (20 a day) have double the risk of lung cancer for the rest of their lives.

Gin-Gin

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Great info, Maltair; good way to keep track of how you're helping your body! :ultracool Keep up the good work!

OP
Maltair

Maltair

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Made it over another hump. Have gone 3 days now without any nicotine products, no gum, no patch, no smokes.
I need to get into a sauna and try and get this crap in my lungs broken up. it's getting tighter and tighter.

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Maltair said:
Made it over another hump. Have gone 3 days now without any nicotine products, no gum, no patch, no smokes.
I need to get into a sauna and try and get this crap in my lungs broken up. it's getting tighter and tighter.

Excellent Job Maltair! Keep up the great effort.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You can do it, man. Hang in there - all of ye.

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Maltair said:

Good Job!!! It WILL get easier. I smoked in college - until a young co-ed white belt in our college Judo class threw my brown belt butt around because she was in far better physical condition and did not smoke and I did.

OP
Maltair

Maltair

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Thanxs alot everyone. I know I wouldn't have gotten this far without your support. It is getting easier. But boy am I a grump!
Jonathan Randall said:
Good Job!!! It WILL get easier. I smoked in college - until a young co-ed white belt in our college Judo class threw my brown belt butt around because she was in far better physical condition and did not smoke and I did.
This is another motivator for me :) Been through this a couple times.

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
This is an inspirational thread. I think that the message of quitting needs to be shared and conspicuous. The more I see the message, the closer I get to being there.

Thanks for your hard work, guys.

OP
Maltair

Maltair

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Todays rant:
Well havn't had a smoke since Nov 15th. Used the gum mostly, had a couple patches. Those seam to work the best. Have now gone the last 4 days with none of the above.
Boy am I pissy! Full of piss and vinegar!
Took some dougnuts to the family this morning as a peace offering. My daughters are real proud, my youngest keeps hugging me and tells me what a good job I'm doing.
I'm so sleepy too. Been sleeping all day but still tired at work. Been reading how your sleep will be messed up for about a month. Great. The say the sleep is more restless but better?! I say BS. I'm tired. Where is all this energy I'm supposed to have?
Saved over 45 bucks so far. Gum cost me 35 so I'm 10 dollars up
happy.gif

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sounds like you have a lot of family support! Good for you. Having your sleep messed up for a month is an aggravation, I'm sure, but think of how much better your lungs and arteries are doing!

Gin-Gin

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Maltair said:
Todays rant:
Well havn't had a smoke since Nov 15th. Used the gum mostly, had a couple patches. Those seam to work the best. Have now gone the last 4 days with none of the above.
Boy am I pissy! Full of piss and vinegar!
Took some dougnuts to the family this morning as a peace offering. My daughters are real proud, my youngest keeps hugging me and tells me what a good job I'm doing.
I'm so sleepy too. Been sleeping all day but still tired at work. Been reading how your sleep will be messed up for about a month. Great. The say the sleep is more restless but better?! I say BS. I'm tired. Where is all this energy I'm supposed to have?
Saved over 45 bucks so far. Gum cost me 35 so I'm 10 dollars up
happy.gif
Hang in there, Bryan! :D Remember those hugs & the money you're saving when you get tired & pissy. You also might drink coffee or try energy drinks to help you until your quality of sleep gets back to normal. You're doing great!! :partyon:

OP
Maltair

Maltair

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Posted on Kenponet I'll take all the help I can get tackling this beast. Thought I'd get a little more help/kudos/support, another reason I like MT. I did get a nice email from Mr. Bleecker though.
On a side note, Earlier this year I made an agreament with Sifu that I would have to quit smoking before I got Brown. I'm on my way :)
I feel MA has really helped me get thru this. Breathing excercisis. Forms to divert and focus the mind. Not to mention the support. :ladysman:

Havn't been getting any real stong cravings. Just the kind that are like "It sure would be nice to have a glass of cognac right now." Or "It sure would be nice to take a break from working on this jeep, get a quick BJ, then right back at it, yea, that would be nice. :fanboy: " Oh well, can't always get what ya want, And if you try sometime you find, You get what you need!

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Bryan,

How are you doing now?

- Ceicei

OP
Maltair

Maltair

Blue Belt
Reaction score
One month and counting!
Was over at the neibors drinking this weekend. We'er out in the garage cause everybody smokes. I wanted one but didn't have one. I lit one persons smoke, fixed a broken one, and played with one for a few min, but never took a drag. I was wading in temptation and came out stronger and more confident then when I went in.

Finally had a dream about smoking, I was putting out a smoke in front off my wife, and we both looked at each other and said why did I have that smoke? I didn't even realize that I lit one up or was smokeing it till I put it out. Was weird.

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Maltair said:
One month and counting!
Was over at the neibors drinking this weekend. We'er out in the garage cause everybody smokes. I wanted one but didn't have one. I lit one persons smoke, fixed a broken one, and played with one for a few min, but never took a drag. I was wading in temptation and came out stronger and more confident then when I went in.

Finally had a dream about smoking, I was putting out a smoke in front off my wife, and we both looked at each other and said why did I have that smoke? I didn't even realize that I lit one up or was smokeing it till I put it out. Was weird.

Good for you! You are almost past the hardest point. Good job. :)