Got my butt whopped by a Kickboxing champion until I started jabbing him

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Had another gym war with the kickboxer. Started well this time and threw a roundhouse kick clean on his stomach as hard as I could. But things went downhill from here. His dominance was mostly an initiave thing, but I'm trying to get used to his level of sparring intensity.

The jab out didn't work this time, for some reason. It only made it more difficult to transition and actually lost time rather than won, with my jab out. Also exposed the other side of my jaw which he banged with a full swing roundhouse kick. He claimed that he was going sem contanct, simply because full contact leads to warnings, and he took that hypotethical warning (.....):
On top of what Tony said, I want to point out two statements in here.
"threw a roundhouse kick clean on his stomach as hard as I could"
"which he banged with a full swing roundhouse kick. He claimed that he was going sem contanct, simply because full contact leads to warnings, and he took that hypotethical warning"

You threw a roundhouse at him as hard as you could, after you guys had agreed on semi contact. Then he threw a hard roundhouse at you in response, and you complain that he went full contact. In any dojo I've been to, that's what is expected; if you amp up the intensity, I will throw the exact shot/equivalent shot at you as a warning, then go back to the contact level we agreed on.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Had another gym war with the kickboxer. Started well this time and threw a roundhouse kick clean on his stomach as hard as I could. But things went downhill from here. His dominance was mostly an initiave thing, but I'm trying to get used to his level of sparring intensity.

The jab out didn't work this time, for some reason. It only made it more difficult to transition and actually lost time rather than won, with my jab out. Also exposed the other side of my jaw which he banged with a full swing roundhouse kick. He claimed that he was going sem contanct, simply because full contact leads to warnings, and he took that hypotethical warning (.....):
Maybe last time you sparred, he was too far ahead of you that he mentally checked out by the time you started throwing the jab? Or that he let you because he was doing you a favor by giving you some confidence? Or maybe this time once you landed a full force kick against him, play time was over?

Nah. Never mind.

OP
Axiom

Axiom

Black Belt
Reaction score
Here we see an illustration of my earlier point about over generalizing from limited information. Last time he had trouble with your jab, this time he didn't. This could be for a variety of reasons. Maybe he was holding back last time or working on something specific that didn't function well against your jab or he was having a bad day or maybe you genuinely did a good job and took him out of his game. This time he adapted to what you were doing and showed you that the jab isn't some sort of a magic weakness for kickboxers any more than the roundhouse kicks you were having trouble defending against are any sort of special weakness for TKD practitioners.

Correct, I was jumping the gun a bit there.

OP
Axiom

Axiom

Black Belt
Reaction score
On top of what Tony said, I want to point out two statements in here.
"threw a roundhouse kick clean on his stomach as hard as I could"
"which he banged with a full swing roundhouse kick. He claimed that he was going sem contanct, simply because full contact leads to warnings, and he took that hypotethical warning"

You threw a roundhouse at him as hard as you could, after you guys had agreed on semi contact. Then he threw a hard roundhouse at you in response, and you complain that he went full contact..

Yeah, I complain that he went full contact to the head with a kick. Is that strange, you think?

OP
Axiom

Axiom

Black Belt
Reaction score
Or maybe this time once you landed a full force kick against him, play time was over?

He is actually very respectful of me and never plays around. He allowed an opening and I took it. Chalk that one up for TaeKwondo:cool:

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yeah, I complain that he went full contact to the head with a kick. Is that strange, you think?

Yeah. That was your fault. And you deserved that response.

I have done it before. Will probably do it again.

Last edited:

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yup. You went full contact (with him under the assumption it was semi contact), and got full contact back. Nothing to complain about there.

OP
Axiom

Axiom

Black Belt
Reaction score
Yup. You went full contact (with him under the assumption it was semi contact), and got full contact back. Nothing to complain about there.

I don't know what to say if I you can't see the difference in danger going full contact to the head compared to the stomach.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't know what to say if I you can't see the difference in danger going full contact to the head compared to the stomach.
You're ignoring the other part though, where you intentionally (I'm assuming from your post) went full contact to his stomach, knowing he was only expecting semicontact. Whether he went overboard with his response is irrelevant, when you decided to be an *** doing that you should be prepared for repercussions.

OP
Axiom

Axiom

Black Belt
Reaction score
You're ignoring the other part though, where you intentionally (I'm assuming from your post) went full contact to his stomach, knowing he was only expecting semicontact. Whether he went overboard with his response is irrelevant, when you decided to be an *** doing that you should be prepared for repercussions.

No, it was a mutual give and take. He didn't complain about it, nor did I when kicked my stomach. Having him take a shot at my head with a kick with that force was however not expected, and incredibly unnecessary.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
No, it was a mutual give and take. He didn't complain about it, nor did I when kicked my stomach. Having him take a shot at my head with a kick with that force was however not expected, and incredibly unnecessary.
"Started well this time and threw a roundhouse kick clean on his stomach as hard as I could."
"He claimed that he was going sem contanct"
Those two statements, and what you've stated about your dojo don't coincide with the above quote. Considering I would bet your school is mostly semi-contact, you starting off full force isn't really a give and take. And he may not have complained out loud, but in all the schools I've been to, his response would be the "complaint"/warning, and the other person accepts it and calms down.

Maybe since he's a kickboxer, he has had similar experiences as me, and you have trouble understanding/accepting it since it's not the culture of your club?

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
He is actually very respectful of me and never plays around. He allowed an opening and I took it. Chalk that one up for TaeKwondo:cool:
Maybe I wasn't as clear as I intended. Here's a story of what I meant...

There's a 13/14 year old girl in our dojo who's recently been allowed into the adults class. She's been allowed to come to the adults class on Saturday mornings for about 2 years now though.

I've never really had to try while sparring with her. 2 weeks ago, she hit me with a solid punch in the chest. Woke me up, in a good way. I grinned and said "great punch." Then she threw a front kick, which I went to block, and turned it over into a roundhouse kick. She stopped the kick no more than an inch in front my face. It was perfect. I laughed and said "now I have to try."

I didn't beat her up. I wasn't out to beat her at sparring (if there is such a thing); I just couldn't take it easy and go in slow motion to not overwhelm her. And I had to actually block.

Nothing disrespectful about it on either end. She's a great kid, and I love it when she's in class. She's said she like sparring with me the most because I really challenge her, but I don't overdo it.

By "playtime was over," that's what I meant. He could've been letting you get away with it, then once he felt he was making it too easy, he ramped up the intensity and didn't let you get away with it anymore. Nothing disrespectful about that at all IMO.

OP
Axiom

Axiom

Black Belt
Reaction score
"Started well this time and threw a roundhouse kick clean on his stomach as hard as I could."
"He claimed that he was going sem contanct"?

Do I need to explain to you why full contact to the body is ok but to the head is frowned upon? There are TKD schools in which kicks to the head are prohibited before black belt.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do I need to explain to you why full contact to the body is ok but to the head is frowned upon? There are TKD schools in which kicks to the head are prohibited before black belt.
Not everyone agrees with you. That happens in group discussions.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It's frowned upon to you. To me it's payback. That's the different school culture idea.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Sounds to me like...you started it. So quit whining and grow up. Don't escalate in the first place if you are afraid of what he might do in response.

You have a lot to learn about respecting your training partners.

MA_Student

Black Belt
Reaction score
It's also unnecessary to throw a 100% kick to the body that's just as dangerous if you break his ribs. It's sparring there's absoloutely nothing to be gained by throwing shots at 100% the only thing you get by doing that are injuries

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

I doubt you will find very many people who do full contact sparring period. Hard contact, certainly, but there's pretty much always a little more in reserve. Because it's sparring.
And yes, please explain to me why head contact would be frowned upon. And before you start, you might bear in mind that while I have roughly ten times as much TKD experience as you, I'm willing to bet I have roughly a hundred times more medical training than you. Because 35 years in the ER...
If some schools prohibit kicks to the head, so what? There are schools that only spar no contact. That's a school issue, not a TKD issue.

Latest Discussions