Good sparring techniques

r1cky

White Belt
Reaction score
I was hoping some of you guys could share your best sparring techniques with me along with some common weaknesses you may find etc. Something that almost never fails for me is stepping to the left side and then sliding in with a sidekick to the ribs.

Thank you.

Just4Kicks

Green Belt
Reaction score
I'm not a great sparrer(is that a word?) but I have learnt that counter attacks are more effective than attacks and fast powerful combinations can intimidate the opponent.

If I am tired I'll let my opponent waste their energy by being on the offensive, I'll stand in one spot usually and lead them to run about around me. I see a gap, I attack. If they are unbalanced I go in with a combo. I try to look detached and focused, that usually unsettles them too.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
"No block with face" - the first rule I was introduced to! One of the most common mistakes that people make is to assume that a good offense will make up for a poor defense - but it doesn't matter how fast or hard you can hit me if I hit you first. Blocking is the key to good sparring, and to good self-defense - because there will always be someone faster, stronger, younger, whatever. Specific techniques are hard to recommend without seeing you spar.

Another thing to remember is that sparring is a game - and the name of the game is score points. This is different from self-defense, where the name of the game is do it first, do it fast, do it dirty. To score points, you need to confuse your opponent so that your strikes land and your opponent's miss or are blocked. How you do this is going to vary widely depending on your personal style. Like Taekwondo_gal06, I tend to prefer counter-fighter, but that doesn't always work.

Some general ideas that I've found useful:
  • control the center of the ring
  • use psychological tactics - ask your opponent if he's wearing his cup, write "kill" on your mouthguard (unless prohibited by your rules)
  • move in unpredictable directions - most people back up when defending, move forward when attacking, and circle the rest of the time; defend moving forward, attack moving back, move to the sides, the front - avoid backing up whenever possible
  • pace yourself - starting strong can be good for psychological reasons, but if you run out of energy before the end of the match, you're going to be in trouble

tkd_Jaz

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I try to focus on cut kicks and also back kicks when the opponent tries to roundhouse. Our gym also focuses on using cover punches a lot too. A big thing if you are a beginner is don't do just one roundhouse and back out. Do a couple follow up kicks. Oh yeah and also if you are defending, never start to back up but rather step to the side. That's just a few things that I've been told when I started out.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
"No block with face" - the first rule I was introduced to! One of the most common mistakes that people make is to assume that a good offense will make up for a poor defense - but it doesn't matter how fast or hard you can hit me if I hit you first. Blocking is the key to good sparring, and to good self-defense - because there will always be someone faster, stronger, younger, whatever. Specific techniques are hard to recommend without seeing you spar.

Wait a second! I spent YEARS perfecting the face block! I can guarantee that I can block any strike thrown at my head with my face!:uhyeah:

Of course... I later realized that maybe my teacher had a point, and it hurts a whole lot less to stop or avoid the strike BEFORE it hits!

stoneheart

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Kacey has some good information in her post. I would only add that you should look at your footwork. In sparring, the ability to lunge in quickly is often the difference between winner and loser, particularly at the beginner and intermediate levels. At those stages, the aggressor frequently has the advantage.

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
Getting into top shape is important too. Hard to execute your brilliant tactics, move around etc if you're sucking wind and seeing stars a minute into the first round.

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
Train combinations until they feel like a single technique to you.

Lots of them.

So then, every time you initiate an attack or counter, 2 or 3 strikes flow out instead of a single technique.

Then, when fighting, string those combos together like MOST people string single techniques together into combos, so your "combos" end up being longer sequences.

i.e., instead of ending up with a combo of, say 3 to 5 techniques, you may end up with a "combo" of 6 to 10.

Telos

White Belt
Reaction score
Probably my favorite is to feign either being tired or overwhelmed by the opponent while fighting back with embarrassing bee chagis that have almost no real impact to the hogu. and carry on for a bit and then BOOM out of no where blast them with high section dollyo chagi with a carry over right upside their head. Usually results in a Stop match victory. Though sometimes people have gotten back up. but their entire sparring style has changed for the more cautionous approach.

Bumblebee

Green Belt
Reaction score
I was told by one of our visiting masters about a technique he called "Meatballing." Generally in Taekwondo our roundhouse kicks are our most common kicks used. Mostly because it's the most simple to throw at your opponent. WTF rules state that you get points for the body two points for the head. No points maybe even a point deduction or warning if you kick below the hip. So we'd naturally kick toward the head or body. Meatballing is where you lean back and allow your opponent's roundhouse kick to go over you while you nail them with a roundhouse kick of your own. It's pretty effective against opponents that just charge at you throwing roundhouses.

I was told that too much blocking was bad. This is because you can develop the habit that you'll just block and block and when an opportunity opens up you'll start, but what if your opponent had spent all his time conditioning so he can kick for the full round? Will you just block for the whole round and not throw a kick? No, that would be ridiculous. I was told that as much as possible dodge the kicks because it's true that it takes more energy to swing and miss than it is to swing and hit/be blocked. Also with too much blocking you're bound to get tired or encounter an opponent that kicks like a mule and you'll eventually drop your guard and then you're in trouble. So try to dodge as much as possible and use your counters. That's what your 45 degree kicks are for. That's what your spinning back kicks are for. Use them. There's a reason why they were developed.

One thing that I personally like to do is be creative in kicking. If something doesn't work out, either let it fail or do something about it. For example, I was sparring with my instructor and I threw a roundhouse kick aimed for his ribs, I saw him move his arm at the last second to block and I pulled my kick back and turned it into a side kick nailing him in the gut. I've also been on the opposite end of the stick when I'm missed with an axe kick to the face it gets turned into a sidekick. So I guess what I'm trying to say is to not be intimidated of modifying your kicks as you do them and to be creative. One of the things that Taekwondo values is its practitioners to be able to evolve.

hong kong fooey

Black Belt
Reaction score
I myself am not very good at sparing. but I rely on countering other then attacking. I agree with others that have posted and alow the attacker to run out of energy until they get tired then I attack

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well here is my take on sparring, everybody has given great advice so far, but for me it is about the person learning what will work for them and what does not.
So when I first started to spar I was the attacker at all time, I felt the harder I attack the less chance somebody had to react to what I was doing. Now that I'm older I look for more of my opponets weakness so I can take advantage of them from him giving them to me.

Each and every person needs to find there little niche in the sparring world and make it fit them and not them trying to fit somebody elses style.

I hope this helps.

cflick

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I would say use a variety of kicks. Most sparring matches I see during class, 85% of the kicks are the turning kick (roundhouse).
If you throw the same kick over and over again your opponent will adapt and be able to successfully counter.
Mix the kicks up. Combos combos combs!
And I know some people have a hard time sparring when the opponent is coming at you with un relentless kick, or if they are constantly too close...give them a hard side kick to the chest to back them off.
Also since the head is worth more execute a couple of kick to the chest and wait for a clean headshot!

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
one of our T-shirts reads 'If we have more then one way we can have our way more often'

Practice all kicks you have learned. In class is the time to try them out. There are some where the mechanics don't agree with me a whole lot, I neglect those, no doubt a downfall.

Use front legs to kick. it's true, a back leg kick can be more powerful, but it's also a whole lot more visible and thus avoidable. Practice keeping the forward momentum when you kick. bag, target drills, don't matter. Use the kick to close distance, then follow up with a hand technique. Crown it with a back leg kick.

One thing some folks don't run into a lot, but we are a small school and have to spar students of all shapes and sizes: When confronted with someone who is a lot taller then you, make sure to use the angles and avoid straight lines. There is hardly a way to not run into a kick before you even get into your own range.

igillman

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Time to add my tuppence...
Some people are light and fast, others are slow and heavy. If you are light and fast then you need to be able to react to other people. Dodging and moving, never staying still. Staying out of range then, when you see an opening, executing 2 or 3 kicks and getting out of the way again.
If you are slow and heavy then combinations are your friend. Also, practice kicking straight ahead and at up to 45 degrees on either side of you.

I use the sparring time at our do-jang to try out techniques and combinations. I do not worry about winning or losing when we are practicing, just about trial and error.

One final thing, punching. Do not be afraid to do it if they get too close to you. I used to box and one time when we were practicing sparring I punched a few times and backed the guy off the mat. Everyone started laughing and I learned that only the first 2 punches count for points. I also learned that it is a great way to get someone to back off and next time I will punch a few times, take one step back and let loose with a front kick.

turtle

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I'm definitely a counterattacker too. Used to spend a lot of time chasing opponents and attacking but I realized it didn't work so well for me. I think something else I've learned is that you don't need a lot of techniques/combinations. Pick a few that work really well for you and just keep working on them until their unbeatable.

Something I've always found to unsettle opponents is to fight from open stance. I'm equally comfortable from a right or lefthanded stance (but with different techniques on each side) so if my opponent is in a right handed stance I'll switch to left handed. When they switch to left handed to "match" me, I'll switch back to right handed. Seems to drive some people crazy because they just don't like open stance fighting.

rabbit

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I would look to see how they shift their weight from leg to leg. When the oppent is going to kick he will shift his weight. Once you know what leg he is planning to kick with move out of the way or get out of range.

Bascially, looking for telegraphs.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I would look to see how they shift their weight from leg to leg. When the oppent is going to kick he will shift his weight. Once you know what leg he is planning to kick with move out of the way or get out of range.

Bascially, looking for telegraphs.

LOL, only with mediocre people you get that advantage...the really good people can kick you five ways before you figure out what they are going to do - and change it mid way should you have guessed by chance... ;)

(And no, while I don't think I telegraph - much - I fall for fakes a lot...)

Latest Discussions