Good fight/running song recommendations?

Thunder Foot

Brown Belt
Reaction score
This may sound a bit funny, but do you have any special songs you like to train to? Or possibly run to? I'm looking for songs to add to my ipod when I'm out training.

In specific, I was wondering if any of you know of any good 80's jams, geared around Martial Arts? As corny as that sounds, I really get amped off of songs like "Eye of the Tiger" from Rocky, or "You're the Best" from Karate Kid. Can anyone recommend songs within that realm? The Martial Arts movie craze soundtracks? If not, feel free to recommend any. Don't laugh guys.... but so far, for my 80's movie theme collection, I have.... :asian:

Survivor - "Eye of the Tiger"
Joe Esposito - "You're The Best"
Dwight David - "Last Dragon"
Survivor - "Moment of Truth"
Winger - "Out For The Count"
Paul Herzog - "Kumite"
Survivor - "Can't Hold Back"

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Stan Bush - "Fight to Survive" from Bloodsport ;)

Shaderon

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I don't like training music, I like to have quiet but I have some running favourites - none of them 80's though so sorry.

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
Loop Guru
Art of Noise
Sufi Music - various especially Omar Farouk Tekbilek
Tuvan Music - especially Hun Hur Tuu
African Drumming
Congas
Samba

Much as I like the Blues it doesn't work for working out.

Common theme? Strong rhythm but not simple 4/4 *thump* *thump* *thump* *thump*

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I don't listen to music when I'm training poomse, but when lifting weights or hitting the bag I like some RATM.

I heard Ravel's Bolero on the radio the other day and thought that might be a good one to work out to. The same with Funeral of Amenhotep III from Philip Glass' opera Akhnaten.

You can find a sample here http://www.amazon.com/Akhnaten-Philip-Glass/dp/B0000026GR. Even though I like some of the other music from the opera, I'm not ready to dish out $30 for it though.

Yeti

Black Belt
Reaction score
Nothing from the 80's era, but when I train I like to listen to stuff like Pantera, Statix X and Van Halen. It just gets me amped to give it all I've got.

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't usually listen to music while training, but once in a while I'll listen to Kodo (Japanese drumming group) while doing my forms. I have an iPod (shuffle) also, but I don't usually use it unless I'm on the slopes. I don't have any 80's tunes on it, though.

fnorfurfoot

Senior Master
Reaction score
If your looking for something corny, whenever I'm getting the kids in my class to work on speed, or the get them pumped up I use a few different songs from the Mortal Kombat soundtrack. It kind of gets me going too.

LawDog

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I personally do not believe in artificial stimulation while training, it should come from within. If a person cannot motivate themselves during any sort of training then there's a likelihood that they will not be able to do it on the outside when it really matters.
Old time running song, Fort Dix 1967, Starts something like this,
Two newly weds were lying in bed one rolls over to the other one and said, drive on, drive on.
there's more to it, worked for me back then.:)

meta_aesthete

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Prince's "Dirty Mind" album is the perfect running album, if you can stand naughty lyrics and like cheesy '80s music. It has these driving 4/4 beats and funky dance numbers that energize you the whole way through, except a 3 minute ballad (which still has a strong beat) that gives you a little breather around the minute.

Fight music? Well, if you want goofy as hell but awesome in its own way, check out Amon Amarth. They're a Swedish metal band that sings about being Vikings. I'm not kidding. "Oden! Guide our ships, our axes, spears, and swords!" The hilarity value aside, it's really angry, violent, let's-go-burn-down-a-village music.

Also, Venom or Motorhead get me pumped. Napalm Death if you're really pissed off.

Ping898

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
"Duck and Run" from 3 Doors Down is what I always start with

"this world can turn me down but I won't turn away.
and I won't duck and run cause I'm not built that way.
when everything is gone there is nothing left to fear
this world can't bring me down cause I'm already here. "

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
"Of Wolf and Man" by Metallica - one of my favorite running songs.

Danzig II

"Coma" - Guns n Roses

"Can't Stop" - Suicidal Tendencies

chinto01

Black Belt
Reaction score
When I train at the gym in the morning the music on the iPod is alll the good motivational stuff:

Metallica
Rage Against the Machine
Korn
G N' R
Tool

That is just the beginning. It is hard to drag it out of bed in the a.m. to workout!

In the spirit of bushido!

Rob

P.S. this list never makes it to the dojo floor.

chinto01

Black Belt
Reaction score
I personally do not believe in artificial stimulation while training, it should come from within. If a person cannot motivate themselves during any sort of training then there's a likelihood that they will not be able to do it on the outside when it really matters.
Old time running song, Fort Dix 1967, Starts something like this,
Two newly weds were lying in bed one rolls over to the other one and said, drive on, drive on.
there's more to it, worked for me back then.:)

Good to see someone else went to Fort Dix! I believe I can name the end of that song in 2 notes by the way.

Rob

chinto01

Black Belt
Reaction score
chinto01
Do you remember the rest of that running cadence?

Yes sir. It would not be appropriate at boot camp now because of peoples sensitivity to things. Darn shame I really liked that.

Rob

KempoGuy06

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Metallica
Korn
RATM
Eminem
Nickelback
Foo Fighters
NIN
Stuff like that. I listen to way more but I dont have the time or the patiences to list them all :D

B

Latest Discussions