Good arts for getting to your gun

Mountie

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
The narrator definitely has some confirmation bias believe me. That said it was more his central point that I agree with. If you are going to carry a weapon don't assume that the weapon alone is a "magic wand."

As for people having their guns taken from them, while there is no statistic for officers who are "simply" disarmed, a number of studies have been performed that show of Officers who died from gunshot wounds, ~10% were shot with their own gun.

It's one of the basics of being a police officer; every call is a gun call, because you carry one into it.

It's also one of the reasons we can't afford to lose a fight. It hasn't happened often, but I have had idiots go for my gun. And I practice protecting it.

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
It's one of the basics of being a police officer; every call is a gun call, because you carry one into it.

It's also one of the reasons we can't afford to lose a fight. It hasn't happened often, but I have had idiots go for my gun. And I practice protecting it.

To true on all counts. And the more tools they give us the more you have to worry about... "Protect my gun... Oh great now he's going for my Taser." .fun times.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The narrator definitely has some confirmation bias believe me. That said it was more his central point that I agree with. If you are going to carry a weapon don't assume that the weapon alone is a "magic wand."
I probably agree. While it's not a good luck charm or talisman that repels evil, it sure looks like just showing one makes the bad guy go away at least 2/3 of the time. While not a magic wand, it sure seems as close as I'm likely to see. :)

As for people having their guns taken from them, while there is no statistic for officers who are "simply" disarmed, a number of studies have been performed that show of Officers who died from gunshot wounds, ~10% were shot with their own gun.
Sure. No argument there. My only caveat is that the vast majority of people who carry for self defense aren't LEO. Two very very different goals. On the one hand, self defense minded non-LEO civilians have basically one goal: to make the bad guy stop doing whatever it is he was doing that made you need to deploy the gun. That's it. LEO, on the other hand, have a much more comprehensive, and demanding, requirement. Capture, restrain, and arrest puts LEO in a very different position, both "tactically" and philosophically, from someone carrying for self defense. Cops have a much greater need to be able to "fight" at that (or any) range than someone carrying for self defense.

The two groups have different goals and so it follows that what is effective for each will be somewhat different. To be honest, I have a bit of a problem with CCW people taking classes intended for LEO, or worse, military application, and believing that the material is 100% applicable to their needs.

CCW holders aren't cops, shouldn't try to be, and should be reminded of such.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score

It's also one of the reasons we can't afford to lose a fight.
Further, non-LEO civvies-for-self-defense can, and often SHOULD, just let the bad guy "get away." As a general rule, I'd really prefer that cops didn't. This is a fundamental difference and requires different tactics and a somewhat different mind set. :)

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Latest Discussions