Going over techs and the changes

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
How many her believe that every single technique have been changed over the last twenty years and what are some of you favorite changes and some of your least favorite.

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Techniques have to change. They need to evolve with the times. Small tweaks to make them better as well as giving you the ability to use other weapons you have available.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This is true of any system, but as I refine my motion from the primitive, I find my angles are changing and opening up better opportunities. With that in mind I feel that many changes are just misunderstood refinements. Not everyone is ready for the refinement; so, many changes are deemed bad.
Sean

rmclain

Black Belt
Reaction score
How many her believe that every single technique have been changed over the last twenty years and what are some of you favorite changes and some of your least favorite.

This depends on where you go.

Martial art techniques should evolve and improve over time. This is especially true for the teaching method of martial arts. The fundamental principles will remain the same (timing, rhythem, balance, breathing, etc.), but instructors should always try to improve the instruction and techniques.

Model-A cars are kind-of cool, but I wouldn't want to drive one in today's world. But, the principles of the model-A car and modern cars are the same.

R. McLain

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think we need to review if a technique is really changing, or is something else is going on?

I posted on Kenpotalk earlier this week about the technique 'Scraping Hoof'. Working with Mr. Planas, I learned a different way of executing the technique from that which I originally learned. I do not think Mr. Planas is showing me the technique as a changed technique, I think I learned the technique differently from how it was originally designed. Mr. Planas, I believe is a stickler for 'Tradition'.

What is needed to make an accurate determination of any 'changes' is the 'Rosetta Stone'; what was it like, what changes were made, and what is it like now.

One example that is discussed regularly is the American Kenpo Technique 'Five Swords'. The 'original' technique had a right spear hand thrust to the diaphram, the 'altered' technique changed this to an uppercut punch. This change was put in place because most practitioners do not train their finger thrust to a weapon strength; the spear hand is an ineffective weapon.

I don't like the term 'evolve', especially, because we, as human practitioners, haven't grown any new limbs. Our natural weapons, and the methods of executing with those weapons really don't change, do they?

rmclain

Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't like the term 'evolve', especially, because we, as human practitioners, haven't grown any new limbs. Our natural weapons, and the methods of executing with those weapons really don't change, do they?

You're right, the methods of executing with those weapons doesn't really change in the sense that "a punch is a punch, and a kick is a kick, a throw is a throw"

But, the teaching method and vocabulary used to instruct the use of those natural weapons does change. Already, anybody can do martial arts just by moving using natural body motions used everyday - walking, twisting, etc. Even first lesson beginners can learn very quickly using this idea. The closer students practice their martial art techniques to these everyday human natural motions (regardless of style) the longer they can train in life without fear of causing injury to themselves during training.

R. McLain

Latest Discussions