Go Canada! We're #1! :D

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A majority of people believe that Israel and Iran have a mainly negative influence in the world, a poll for the BBC World Service suggests. It shows that the two countries are closely followed by the United States and North Korea.
The poll asked 28,000 people in 27 countries to rate a dozen countries plus the EU in terms of whether they have a positive or negative influence.
Canada, Japan and the EU are viewed most positively in the survey.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/6421597.stm

Top of the chart, Canada :D

We rock :p

:partyon:

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yes you gut do, but yet America is close to the bottom, it is such a pity for most of us here to be that low in a survey.

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yes, it's just disgraceful that the Israelis keeps on insisting that they have a right to live. :shrug: Not to take anything away from Canada, but this says more about the people who participated in the poll than it does about the countries listed.

OP
A

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yes, it's just disgraceful that the Israelis keeps on insisting that they have a right to live. :shrug: Not to take anything away from Canada, but this says more about the people who participated in the poll than it does about the countries listed.

The US is on good relations with Israel, but the much of the world isn't. I'd say this reflects the fact that a good percentage of the world is Muslim, and Israel taking Jerusalem, amongst other holy places, is not something they would be in favour of.

The country was cut out of Palestine by western powers, I don't think they liked that. Jerusalem was meant to be internationally run, then war between Israel and Arbab states landed it in Israel's hands, that would have annoyed them even more.

A lot of the conflict in the middle east is related to Israel.

Who is right and who is wrong about whether the country should be under Jewish or Islamic control isn't really important to the survey, just who has a good or bad influence over all.

Israel, rightly or wrongly, is a major **** magnet in the middle east. They are also one of the worlds largest weapons suppliers, and are most likely in possesion of Nuclear weapons.

Whether we agree with the majority or not is irrelevant, but surely it can be seen why a lot of people might not like the country all that much?

31 countries still refuse to even reocgnize it as a country:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foreign_relations_of_Israel

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
Whether we agree with the majority or not is irrelevant, but surely it can be seen why a lot of people might not like the country all that much?

It makes no difference whether it can be seen why a lot of people don't like Israel, if one believes those people are wrong. It's called "considering the source". I know why they hate Israel and I think it reflects poorly on them, not Israel.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I hesitate to ask such a question in an open forum, Cory but why do you think the Arab nations hate Israel so?

Without wishing to derail this thread (so perhaps we should discuss this in either a new one or via PM?), it might have something to do with the fact that the state was imposed on an existing ethnic and political structure via fairly heavy handed Western powers (my country's government primarily included).

It's very easy to put youself in both the Arab and Jewish peoples shoes and see their points of view - that's why the problem is so difficult ... both sides are right :arghh:!

grydth

Senior Master
Reaction score
Actually, I think it is survey takers that have "a mainly negative influence in the world". I would thnk an Iranian pollster would be especially unpopular.

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
I hesitate to ask such a question in an open forum, Cory but why do you think the Arab nations hate Israel so?

Without wishing to derail this thread (so perhaps we should discuss this in either a new one or via PM?), it might have something to do with the fact that the state was imposed on an existing ethnic and political structure via fairly heavy handed Western powers (my country's government primarily included).

It's very easy to put youself in both the Arab and Jewish peoples shoes and see their points of view - that's why the problem is so difficult ... both sides are right :arghh:!

Well, no, both sides are not right. There are many resources on the net to check the history behind the turmoil, including the link that Andrew posted. I also don't want to hijack the thread, so I'll post one link and leave it at that. This is a pretty good summary, but you have to get past the book review to get to it. Evil Fiction

grydth

Senior Master
Reaction score

Humor, it is bad humor. Once upon a time, it would have been seen as such. But now...

I was afraid of this - when a society loses both its guns and its poor humor..... its a long and bumpy ride down.....:) irrespective of polling results.....

*** This is bad humor, too***

Latest Discussions