Gm David German Rip

ArmorOfGod

Senior Master
Reaction score
I just found out that German was teaching a seminar about twenty miles from my house in Aiken, SC (someone here had it listed as NC).
I hate that it took me several days to find out, but one thing about death is that it happens to everyone, so you can always just assume someone is going to die eventually. The sad part is how death affects the living.

AoG

Brian Jones

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Was it common for Mr. German to award 10th degrees? I wonder simply because you used the word "several" hled 10th degree under Mr. German.

Brian Jones

Jeff Faust

White Belt
Reaction score
Sorry for posting so late to this thread.

I would like to share some thoughts and experiences.

"She was so old she looked like a turtle with a skirt." Master German had a great, if somewhat crass, sense of humor. He was very approachable, easy to talk to, patient. He didn't demand respect, although I often wished he would at least a little. It was easy to forget who he really was--at least until you started to work with him.

His grappling was magical. Strong as an ox, slippery and heavy--it was like he could double his weight by sheer will. When he was grappling with somebody, I often cringed because I was sure he would hurt the person. He never did--he knows what people can take. Tremendous control--a true master of an art.

His chin na system was not only beautiful, but practical. Those joint locks really work. I was just beginning to learn this system, and I personally feel this is the biggest loss to the martial arts community. My impression is that most of this was locked up in his head. The video he has out barely scratches the surface.

He was great with children. It was impressive to see this master get down on his knees with a small child and teach a round-house kick!

Just when you thought you knew roughly what he has to offer, he pulls out something new like fie jin su (sp?), aka fast turning hands. His breadth of knowledge was astounding, and his depth of experience unequalled (imo).

About me and Master German:

I had 7 years experience in TKD (hey, it was a start) and kenpo before coming across Master German. I studied with Master German for three years while he had a small place in Glendora, CA and before that in Covina, CA (or is it West Covina? I get the two cities confused). I stumbed across him completely by accident after shopping in the same strip mall as his studio. He built off of my previous experience and strengths and opened up completely new doors. Near the end of my training, we were concentrating on Chin Na, with talk of making a set of videos.

I will always regret this, but I stopped my workouts. I got married, was concentrating on my profession, went back to school for a master's degree in computer science. It was a matter of time and priorities.

I wasn't paying for training, and earned my keep by teaching his classes. Before I stopped working out, I think he had hopes of me eventually opening up my own studio, but I made it clear that it wouldn't happen--I couldn't give up my job. I think he was a bit disappointed, but he didn't let me know it. It makes me sad to think about.

After stopping, one day I drove past the studio, and it was closed. Several months later, I found his website and his new location. I tried and failed to contact him once. It was a little akward--I didn't try very hard, and I didn't try again. A month after he passed away, I found out about it. Today, I did a search and found this thread. I felt I needed to write something.

RIP, David German. I miss you.

Jeff

OP
KENPOJOE

KENPOJOE

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Sorry for posting so late to this thread.

I would like to share some thoughts and experiences.

"She was so old she looked like a turtle with a skirt." Master German had a great, if somewhat crass, sense of humor. He was very approachable, easy to talk to, patient. He didn't demand respect, although I often wished he would at least a little. It was easy to forget who he really was--at least until you started to work with him.

His grappling was magical. Strong as an ox, slippery and heavy--it was like he could double his weight by sheer will. When he was grappling with somebody, I often cringed because I was sure he would hurt the person. He never did--he knows what people can take. Tremendous control--a true master of an art.

His chin na system was not only beautiful, but practical. Those joint locks really work. I was just beginning to learn this system, and I personally feel this is the biggest loss to the martial arts community. My impression is that most of this was locked up in his head. The video he has out barely scratches the surface.

He was great with children. It was impressive to see this master get down on his knees with a small child and teach a round-house kick!

Just when you thought you knew roughly what he has to offer, he pulls out something new like fie jin su (sp?), aka fast turning hands. His breadth of knowledge was astounding, and his depth of experience unequalled (imo).

About me and Master German:

I had 7 years experience in TKD (hey, it was a start) and kenpo before coming across Master German. I studied with Master German for three years while he had a small place in Glendora, CA and before that in Covina, CA (or is it West Covina? I get the two cities confused). I stumbed across him completely by accident after shopping in the same strip mall as his studio. He built off of my previous experience and strengths and opened up completely new doors. Near the end of my training, we were concentrating on Chin Na, with talk of making a set of videos.

I will always regret this, but I stopped my workouts. I got married, was concentrating on my profession, went back to school for a master's degree in computer science. It was a matter of time and priorities.

I wasn't paying for training, and earned my keep by teaching his classes. Before I stopped working out, I think he had hopes of me eventually opening up my own studio, but I made it clear that it wouldn't happen--I couldn't give up my job. I think he was a bit disappointed, but he didn't let me know it. It makes me sad to think about.

After stopping, one day I drove past the studio, and it was closed. Several months later, I found his website and his new location. I tried and failed to contact him once. It was a little akward--I didn't try very hard, and I didn't try again. A month after he passed away, I found out about it. Today, I did a search and found this thread. I felt I needed to write something.

RIP, David German. I miss you.

Jeff
Hi Folks!
Dear Jeff,
We attempted to contact you with no success. Sorry you found out about GM German's passing this way.
I met Jeff when we were working on a series of videos on a Chin Na form that GM German had designed. He, along with Frank Beall [who some of you may know from Budo International's "TAI KARATE" DVD] both worked on the project. Unfortunately, The finished product was never released.
Nice to hear from you,
KENPOJOE

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
[edit]

I posed a question about the history of TAI, then I decided it did not belong to this thread. I created a new thread and came back to edit my post in this thread.

:asian: I wish I got to know more about Mr. German while he was alive. There is very little written (as in published books) so far. I learn a lot from others who knew him and made comments about him. Rest in peace. Your influence is far-reaching.

- Ceicei

Kembudo-Kai Kempoka

Senior Master
Reaction score
[edit]

I posed a question about the history of TAI, then I decided it did not belong to this thread. I created a new thread and came back to edit my post in this thread.

:asian: I wish I got to know more about Mr. German while he was alive. There is very little written (as in published books) so far. I learn a lot from others who knew him and made comments about him. Rest in peace. Your influence is far-reaching.

- Ceicei

He was one of the few men worthy of the "legend in his own time" status.

Regards,

Dave

OP
KENPOJOE

KENPOJOE

Brown Belt
Reaction score
He was one of the few men worthy of the "legend in his own time" status.

Regards,

Dave
Hi Folks!
Dear Dave,
Truer words were never spoken. He had done so many incredible things in his life and met so many memorable characters that a book should truly be written on his life. over the years that I knew him i was constantly amazed by the life he had led outside of the martial arts as well as within it.
BEGOOD,
KENPOJOE

Latest Discussions