gift giving etiquette for instructors

rachel

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I posted this in kempo too to reach many of you. what is proper to give your instructor as a xmas gift? my daughter takes kempo too. Just a gift from her or from both of us? any ideas or suggestions? thanks.

Yari

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't know what is normale pratice were you live, but here in Scandinavia we don't give gifts to our teacher unless there is a really special reason. And if there is a special reason then a gift from both of you is appropiate. Or just name the gift in your daughters name.

/Yari

C

cosgod

our dojo gives a group gift to the head sensei

last year we gave a 'bonsai tree' made of copper wire and rose quartz - it was nice and well received

this year will probably be a gift certificate to a nice restaurant for he and his wife (unless we can come up with something more original)

I like giving gifts, and it is not expected or required that we contribute, and that is even better

good luck with your choice!

O

Old Warrior

The etiquette for Martial Arts instructors is no different than for anyone else. If you feel that someone has extended him/herself beyond what is expected - a holiday thank you is appropriate. The choice is up to you and depends on many factors. For whatever its worth, I had a black wool scarf embroidered with my Kumdo instructor's initials and had crossed swords put on the other end. The idea for me is just to express that I appreciate the effort and the patience it takes to teach an unworthy student like me.

Latest Discussions