Getting the weight down

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
You should tell your wife if she want to lose weight to change to SOY protein.
This is the one I'm using. My wife uses the one that has "weight loss" label on it. The soy milk that I use has 80 calories. The soy milk that my wife uses has only 25 calories. If my wife can just transfer her body weight to me, that will be perfect.

It's so funny that everybody try to loss weight but I try to gain weight. It further indicates that I don't belong to the main stream.

Last edited:

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
OK, I just ordered this:
Soy Protein Isolate Powder Natural Unflavored 32 oz | Puritan's Pride
Here is the label:
Puritan content.jpg

Lets’ do the calculation first by simple weight, then by protein content:

For Puritan: Cost is $18.49 for 2lbs.

(A)By Weight: there are 32scoops or 28g each = 896g = 1.97lbs. By weight, it is $18.49/2lbs = $9.25/lbs.
(B) By protein: 24g/scoop, 32scoops=>total protein = 32 X 24g = 768g = 1.692lbs => $18.49/1.69 = $10.93/lbs

Now, let’s calculate the protein shake by (C) simple weight and (D) by protein content:

For Shake: Cost is $28 for 2.7lbs.

(C) By weight: protein is ½ the weight, so By weight it is $28/1.35lbs = $20.74/lbs.
(D) By protein: 24 serving of 21g protein = 504g = 1.11lbs => cost = $28/1.11lbs = $25.22/lbs

Now, look at the price RATIO of Puritan Pride vs the Shake

BY Weight=> (A) divided by (C) = $9.25/$20.74 = 0.446.

BY Protein =>(B) divided by (D) = $10.93/$25.22 = 0.433

You can see it’s quite accurate using either simple weight vs protein content. Difference is 0.446-0.433=0.013.

It is easier to just compare by simple weight. You can see the Puritan is less than half the price ( about 0.44 cost of the shake).

Last edited:

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
This is the one I'm using. My wife uses the one that has "weight loss" label on it. The soy milk that I use has 80 calories. The soy milk that my wife uses has only 25 calories. If my wife can just transfer her body weight to me, that will be perfect.

It's so funny that everybody try to loss weight but I try to gain weight. It further indicates that I don't belong to the main stream.
Hey, consider yourself is blessed!!!:p

I am sure your shake must taste much better than mine, my soy protein tastes AWFUL!!!! But, it's cheap and I am born cheap.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
True, the way you calculate is slightly more accurate, but in general, for protein shake and power, it's quite accurate to just go by weight ratio that people can easily understand without calculations.

For example, 1lbs = 454g. With your calculation of 504g. You have 1:1 weight of carbohydrates. So each bags has 2X504g of protein and carbohydrates = 1080g = 1080/454lbs = 2.38lbs. This compare quite well with 2.7lbs as labeled on the bag. Yes, you have some vitamins and minerals that take up some weight, but you can see it's close enough and you don't need calculation to show only about 1/2 of the weight is protein.

For comparison with other protein powder, they have some fillers also, that make it even more accurate to just compare by simple weight.
I was just speaking to your point (at least I thought it was your point) about paying more/lb of protein. For that, there's no need to add the extra step of calculating by the lb, since that doesn't actually tell you what you're getting of protein. In any protein powder, the protein is a fraction of the weight. I have yet to see one that is anywhere near 1:1 protein. If you are looking at cost, it's best to look at it per gram of protein, limiting your selection to combinations of fillers (in this case, largely non-sugar carbs) that you find acceptable.

Carbs as a whole aren't really the fat-packing evil they are portrayed as in many books (and media). Sugar is worse than other carbs, and there's some reasonable evidence that sugar substitutes may be worse than sugar, because of how they trigger insulin reactions. Fiber, of course (very little in this one), isn't bad at all.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score

Yall sound like the Jack Sprat nursery rhyme. :)

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I was just speaking to your point (at least I thought it was your point) about paying more/lb of protein. For that, there's no need to add the extra step of calculating by the lb, since that doesn't actually tell you what you're getting of protein. In any protein powder, the protein is a fraction of the weight. I have yet to see one that is anywhere near 1:1 protein. If you are looking at cost, it's best to look at it per gram of protein, limiting your selection to combinations of fillers (in this case, largely non-sugar carbs) that you find acceptable.

Carbs as a whole aren't really the fat-packing evil they are portrayed as in many books (and media). Sugar is worse than other carbs, and there's some reasonable evidence that sugar substitutes may be worse than sugar, because of how they trigger insulin reactions. Fiber, of course (very little in this one), isn't bad at all.
I think we are drifting away from the original point. Yes, I was looking at the protein/lb as that's more important. I just use the ratio of protein vs carb which is 1:1, that's why I divide the weight by half to calculate.

My second post is to show how close the calculation match just using the ratio compare to your method of actually calculating protein. My point is it's much easier to just use weight alone instead of protein to calculate and the result comes very close as shown.

Yes, your method is the precise one, I just offer an easier way and still get a very good idea of the cost/lb protein.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
So far, I've done okay just traying to make stuff myself. As Jack Lelanne said, "If man made it, don't eat it."

I'm okay with some sugar, but try to only eat sweets I make myself. Overall, I'm with Jack. :) Eat veggies and proteins, stay away from processed foods and ingredients, and generally try to eat food that is fresh and freshly prepared.

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
So far, I've done okay just traying to make stuff myself. As Jack Lelanne said, "If man made it, don't eat it."

I'm okay with some sugar, but try to only eat sweets I make myself. Overall, I'm with Jack. :) Eat veggies and proteins, stay away from processed foods and ingredients, and generally try to eat food that is fresh and freshly prepared.

Then you miss all the fun and enjoyments

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Latest Discussions