Getting the weight down

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't understand how can one get bad knee/hip. Should there is early warning?

Whenever I don't feel comfortable on my knee, I would take easy on my knee. Just 2 or 3 days, my knee will come back to normal. As doctor said, "You should always listen to your body."
Well, I've had issues with my knees since I was 16. At no point was taking it easy for a few days any remedy for the long-term issue, though it did (once upon a time) help with acute pain.

I suspect for some of us, it's just genetics. Sure, I wasn't terribly nice to my knees, but I know people who were (and still are) harder on them, without having the issues I had and have. I strongly suspect my leg structure (my feet very much do not align with my knees) contributed.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My knowledge is OLD!!! I never follow up with the latest trend. I literally studied these in college in 1977.

I can only say, I eat very sweet. I have to dip my Twix icecream in sugar( I mix sugar and Sweet & Low) to eat. I am really bad in this regard. I eat apple pie with condensed milk(sweet). Other than that, I am eating very healthy!!!

Hey, we live only once, I pay my dues in exercise. I am surprised my A1C is still below 6. I am not going to change until I have to.
Some of it is definitely genetic, man. Some people's bodies can deal with the sugar. I don't like it as sweet as that, but I certainly eat more sugar than my shape would suggest. There's even some evidence to suggest that those of us who chose sugar over artificial sweeteners are less likely to have issues with diabetes.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Everything matters, it's a lot of weight on the hip and knee. You shift a little in weight distribution, it really affect the joints. You been to a Chiropractor? I remember one of the exam was they had me step one foot on one scale and look at the weight difference. It was off.
The first time I did that test was with a chiropractor who was one of my training partners (a few years behind me, but close enough I never considerd him my student). My hips were dramatically misaligned, but my weight came out perfectly even. Probably because we focus on that a lot in my primary art.

But yes, I do have a chiropractor. Went to my first one about 30 years ago, and have my best one now. He has some post-grad work in orthopedics, so has a different approach from most of the chiropractors I've been to.

Back to the point - none of my chiropractors were able to keep me from getting all out of whack until I had my foot surgery. The gait change from not having full range of motion in my big toe had a huge impact that had increased over time. I didn't realise it until the first time I walked without the "boot" after the surgery. My knees are both somewhat better than they were 4 years ago....though still not any good.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Don't worry what it said, protein is protein, whether you lose weight depends on what else you put in your mouth.
This is what my wife is using. Are you saying that I can add weight by taken this weight loss high protein shake?
protien_1.jpg

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Man, that doesn't even sound like eating, John.
It seems to me that there are some benefit from my diet. Here is my 2021 lipid panel test result:

Cholesterol143 mg/dL140 - 200 mg/dL
HDL Cholesterol51 mg/dL>40 mg/dL
LDL Cholesterol72 mg/dL80 - 130 mg/dL

The 72 LDL Cholesterol concern me. My doctor suggests me to add olive oil into my food.

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
This is what my wife is using. Are you saying that I can add weight by taken this weight loss high protein shake?
View attachment 27478
Yes, I actually look online and got the image of the other side of the package:
https://www.martialtalk.com/attachm....27479/?hash=9ef07db929c92752517d6de429af9967

It said the content of the protein is 25g per 2 scoops. That's 40% recommended daily allowance.

It's quite expensive, $33 for 41.5oz and still have 12g per 2 scoops of powder. My soy protein is about $19 for 32oz and very low(or no) carbs. One thing is they don't even list the content of amino acids.

I am born cheap, I can find cheaper protein power than this. I don't buy into natural and all that. But it's up to you. Also, I have to say, pure soy protein powder tastes quite bad. So if you like this, go for it. It's good.

Attachments

• Naturemade shake.jpg
    Naturemade shake.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 163

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
It seems to me that there are some benefit from my diet. Here is my 2021 lipid panel test result:

Cholesterol143 mg/dL140 - 200 mg/dL
HDL Cholesterol51 mg/dL>40 mg/dL
LDL Cholesterol72 mg/dL80 - 130 mg/dL

The 72 LDL Cholesterol concern me. My doctor suggests me to add olive oil into my food.
Is 80-130mg/dL the range of acceptable range of LDL? If so, 72mg/dL is below the range. It's too low, your diet is too lean!!! You really should eat more. You are on the other extreme. No wonder you are so thin.

Why are you so worry about eating regular food? It's one thing to be vegetarian, it's another thing about no oil, steam food. That's no eating, try relax and enjoy some. Have some sautéed vegetables, you'll enjoy it.

Ha ha, if I eat like you one meal every other day, I would be very healthy. I won't have all the "muscle" around my tummy to show for!!!

Last edited:

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Why are you so worry about eating regular food?
I just don't like meat. Many times in my dreams that I found a piece of meat in my food. It scared me and waked me up. I then felt so happy it was just a dream.

I didn't force myself not to eat meat. I just hate meat. One time I was in Hong Kong, I went in a expensive and fancy vegetarian restaurant. The vegetarian food they served looked too much like the real meat. I lost appetite and left.

Last edited:

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I just don't like meat. Many times in my dreams that I found a piece of meat in my food. It scared me and waked me up. I then felt so happy it was just a dream.

I didn't force myself not to eat meat. I just hate meat. One time I was in Hong Kong, I went in a expensive and fancy vegetarian restaurant. The vegetarian food they served looked too much like the real meat. I lost appetite and left.
That's not what I meant, I love to eat vegetables. I was talking about your no oil, no salt part instead of normal sauteeing. I love those Chinese sauteed vegetables. I cannot take steamed or boiled vegies. I love western salad also......with dressing. Got to have some oil to make it taste good. I love Walmart Asian Salad with dressing mix included. You can make vegetable taste very good. I love vegetables too.....together with ice creams, pies and cookies!!!........I know, I am bad...........It's my hands, keep stuffing those in my face!!!:D:D

yes, I don't want vegetable pretend to be meat or make it look like meat.

Last edited:

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
That's not what I meant, I love to eat vegetables. I was talking about your no oil, no salt part instead of normal sauteeing. I love those Chinese sauteed vegetables. I cannot take steamed or boiled vegies. I love western salad also......with dressing. Got to have some oil to make it taste good. I love Walmart Asian Salad with dressing mix included. You can make vegetable taste very good. I love vegetables too.....together with ice creams, pies and cookies!!!........I know, I am bad...........It's my hands, keep stuffing those in my face!!!:D:D

yes, I don't want vegetable pretend to be meat or make it look like meat.
You just crossed over to a different subject, but it is a good one.
The fake meat industry is playing on peoples perceptions of what a burger, hotdog, etc... has historically looked like, thinking they can change minds on what they are supposed to taste like.
But my taste buds do not lie. Most of them neither taste like meat nor vegetable's. Instead it is overly processed goo. This is a major part of the huge lie. A classic case of media marketing trying to sell a false precept.

We have a local restaurant here named J Alexanders. They have a really, really good veggie burger. It very much has a vegetable taste and is marketed as such, as it should be. Hard to eat with your hands because it easily falls apart, the way you should expect vegetables to do.

I most always always love raw vegetables more than cooked ones. Hard beans and such being an exception. We buy 3-4 stalks of Romaine lettuce every week. Most of it never makes it into a salad bowl. I eat water chestnuts and baby carrots like candy.

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
You just crossed over to a different subject, but it is a good one.
The fake meat industry is playing on peoples perceptions of what a burger, hotdog, etc... has historically looked like, thinking they can change minds on what they are supposed to taste like.
But my taste buds do not lie. Most of them neither taste like meat nor vegetable's. Instead it is overly processed goo. This is a major part of the huge lie. A classic case of media marketing trying to sell a false precept.

We have a local restaurant here named J Alexanders. They have a really, really good veggie burger. It very much has a vegetable taste and is marketed as such, as it should be. Hard to eat with your hands because it easily falls apart, the way you should expect vegetables to do.

I most always always love raw vegetables more than cooked ones. Hard beans and such being an exception. We buy 3-4 stalks of Romaine lettuce every week. Most of it never makes it into a salad bowl. I eat water chestnuts and baby carrots like candy.
I munch on Celery!!!

I love vegies, the green ones. I never into Tofu and all those. I never try the fake stuffs nor I am interested.

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
210 as of this morning. I just bought a new pair of jeans - size 36 waist. They fit like a glove. That's down from a size 44 waist last year.

My goal is still 200 lbs. I am within striking distance of that, so my new goal will be 180 lbs and a 34 inch waist. At that point, I will be roughly the same size I was the majority of my time in the Marine Corps, 40 years ago. However, I had much more upper body strength then, so it's not distributed the same way. I can work on that too.

isshinryuronin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
210 as of this morning. I just bought a new pair of jeans - size 36 waist. They fit like a glove. That's down from a size 44 waist last year.

My goal is still 200 lbs. I am within striking distance of that, so my new goal will be 180 lbs and a 34 inch waist. At that point, I will be roughly the same size I was the majority of my time in the Marine Corps, 40 years ago. However, I had much more upper body strength then, so it's not distributed the same way. I can work on that too.
Good job! I was at a 36" waist for 20 years, but a couple of weeks ago went out and bought a few 34" pants and they fit well. I've been trying to get to 165 lbs for a year, but can't seem to break 170. I'm stuck at 172.

I know my problem - I enjoy eating which is my only vice now. Back when I had other pleasures to indulge in (which I did as often as possible) I was happy eating low fat fish, miso soup, brown rice and few sweets to keep at 150. True, my metabolism was probably a lot faster then as well.

What the hell, when you don't have that much time left, might as well enjoy yourself.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I just bought some protein shake from Costco. I mix it with soy milk. My weight is 165 with waist 34 and I try to bring my weight back to 170.

My wife tries to lose weigh and I try to gain weight. It just makes no sense at all. I just walked 2 and half hours on the beach (while training punches with my upper body) yesterday. I didn't feel tired at all. May be less weight does have advantage.

protein.jpg

Last edited:

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I just bought some protein shake from Costco. I mix it with soy milk. My weight is 165 with waist 34 and I try to bring my weight back to 170.

My wife tries to lose weigh and I try to gain weight. It just makes no sense at all.

View attachment 27545
I did not know Costco sell this, how much? I have to check this out!!! THANKYOU.

Completely off the topic, DO NOT buy those Kirkland battries in Costco, they used to be very good and cheap, the last two years, they change. They LEAK, make a big mess in everything you use them. Both AA and AAA are like this. They even start leaking when still in the package.

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score

My wife tries to lose weigh and I try to gain weight. It just makes no sense at all. I just walked 2 and half hours on the beach (while training punches with my upper body) yesterday. I didn't feel tired at all. May be less weight does have advantage.

View attachment 27545
I was very excited about this until I went to the website you linked and look at the content.
Nutrition facts.jpg

Notice there is 1:1 ratio of protein to carbohydrate? This means in order for you to get 21g of protein, you have to also consume 21g of carbohydrates. For you that want to gain weight, that's ok. For your wife that want to lose weight, this is the WRONG shake to use.

I don't want to gain weight, the soy protein I linked has almost NO CARBODRATES. You should tell your wife if she want to lose weight to change to SOY protein.

Also, if you look at the cost of the protein, it is not cheap as half is carbohydrates. This is 2.7lbs for $28, that is about $10/lbs, but you really got 1.35lbs of protein which ends up to be about $20/lbs of protein. That's very expensive.

It's very easy to get carbohydrates, eat a few potatos, bananas etc., you get plenty of carbs. It's the protein that is hard to get that you have to pay money for it.

It is very important to read labels.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was very excited about this until I went to the website you linked and look at the content.
View attachment 27548
Notice there is 1:1 ratio of protein to carbohydrate? This means in order for you to get 21g of protein, you have to also consume 21g of carbohydrates. For you that want to gain weight, that's ok. For your wife that want to lose weight, this is the WRONG shake to use.

I don't want to gain weight, the soy protein I linked has almost NO CARBODRATES. You should tell your wife if she want to lose weight to change to SOY protein.

Also, if you look at the cost of the protein, it is not cheap as half is carbohydrates. This is 2.7lbs for $28, that is about $10/lbs, but you really got 1.35lbs of protein which ends up to be about $20/lbs of protein. That's very expensive.

It's very easy to get carbohydrates, eat a few potatos, bananas etc., you get plenty of carbs. It's the protein that is hard to get that you have to pay money for it.

It is very important to read labels.
I don’t think measuring the weight is necessarily useful in this. Measuring in grams of protein would be more revealing. This has 24 servings x 21 g, so 504 g at that price. If you’re comparing the price of the protein (ignoring, for the moment, the carb ratio), that’s what you want to look at.

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I don’t think measuring the weight is necessarily useful in this. Measuring in grams of protein would be more revealing. This has 24 servings x 21 g, so 504 g at that price. If you’re comparing the price of the protein (ignoring, for the moment, the carb ratio), that’s what you want to look at.
True, the way you calculate is slightly more accurate, but in general, for protein shake and power, it's quite accurate to just go by weight ratio that people can easily understand without calculations.

For example, 1lbs = 454g. With your calculation of 504g. You have 1:1 weight of carbohydrates. So each bags has 2X504g of protein and carbohydrates = 1080g = 1080/454lbs = 2.38lbs. This compare quite well with 2.7lbs as labeled on the bag. Yes, you have some vitamins and minerals that take up some weight, but you can see it's close enough and you don't need calculation to show only about 1/2 of the weight is protein.

For comparison with other protein powder, they have some fillers also, that make it even more accurate to just compare by simple weight.

Latest Discussions