Getting the weight down

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I just find a bag of "High Protine Shake" that my wife is using in my kitchen. But it said "For weight loss". :)
Don't worry what it said, protein is protein, whether you lose weight depends on what else you put in your mouth.

If you drink the protein shake and eat more vegetables and less fats, you'll lose weight. I have to eat more vegetables as I get old( to go #2!!! :) I drink more protein instead of eating as much meat. I went from 197lbs to 185lbs. But I am losing fat.

But if you eat just as much meat and add protein, you'll gain weight. Calories is calories, both protein and carbohydrates are about 4.3Kcal/gram, so you eat more protein, you will gain weight.

You really need to drink protein powder shake. Drink before you do weights, then some afterwards. Read the label, I would drink at least 75grams total on the day of weights, more if you are not eating enough protein in your meals. Your protein shake got to have label how much protein per scoop, just use that.

Even on the days you only do MA, drink more protein, all the aerobics break down muscle also.

BTW, measure your arms, chest and thighs, go on protein shakes, measure again in a month or two, I bet you will see you grow bigger. I won't even worry about the weight, more the measurement. I bet you'll notice you get stronger also.

Last edited:

caped crusader

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I know of no studies that suggest walking leads to early hip degredation. Heck, even running isn't likely to accelerate that, so far as I know (it puts more wear on the knees).
put on a bit of beef myself (won´t ******** here it was the Beer):p so i started cycling every day now in the evenings when it´s quiter outside.
I used to run for years then i started going for long walks in between but honestly i get bored. Cycling on my mountain bike i enjoy and i get a great quad, calf pump. some hills in there and my lungs are like bellows.
Less chance of injury unless you live in a very busy city.
when i ran a lot i ran with a guy who was into marathons, iron man..etc so he was a great cardio athlete which was good for me as he kicked my *** a lot. However his injuries over the years i knew him were terrible, knees a lot & lower back. As i was working as a trainer in a gym i showed him some good exercises for lower back quads..etc. so we did weights together. I think for older guys cycling is better for cardio, outdoors if you can. together with some weight training you´ll be good to go...like a Stud !

caped crusader

Brown Belt
Reaction score
of course diet is still king.
don´t put it in your mouth you won´t have to lose it!

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
put on a bit of beef myself (won´t ******** here it was the Beer):p so i started cycling every day now in the evenings when it´s quiter outside.
I used to run for years then i started going for long walks in between but honestly i get bored. Cycling on my mountain bike i enjoy and i get a great quad, calf pump. some hills in there and my lungs are like bellows.
Less chance of injury unless you live in a very busy city.
when i ran a lot i ran with a guy who was into marathons, iron man..etc so he was a great cardio athlete which was good for me as he kicked my *** a lot. However his injuries over the years i knew him were terrible, knees a lot & lower back. As i was working as a trainer in a gym i showed him some good exercises for lower back quads..etc. so we did weights together. I think for older guys cycling is better for cardio, outdoors if you can. together with some weight training you´ll be good to go...like a Stud !
My wife used to do high impact aerobics 6 days a week. As she got older, she did fast walk(I say slow jogging) 6 days a week. She got two artificial hips to show for. You do a lot of running when you are young, you might pay the price when you get old.

My cardio is doing rounds on the kicking bags. I do punching and kicking, I spread the exercise to both arms and legs, not just the legs.

Yes, weight training is the best for injury recovery. I can swear by that. It literally saved my life. I usually take two weeks off from any exercise during Christmas. Few years ago, I got a bad flu after the two weeks and I couldn't do any exercise for another week. My back flared up so bad I thought I had it, it's surgery time. Then I went back to the gym, within a week, I was back to usual. I swear by weight training. if I have to choose between MA and weight, it's not even a hard choice, I'd drop MA like a rock.

caped crusader

Brown Belt
Reaction score
My wife used to do high impact aerobics 6 days a week. As she got older, she did fast walk(I say slow jogging) 6 days a week. She got two artificial hips to show for. You do a lot of running when you are young, you might pay the price when you get old.

My cardio is doing rounds on the kicking bags. I do punching and kicking, I spread the exercise to both arms and legs, not just the legs.

Yes, weight training is the best for injury recovery. I can swear by that. It literally saved my life. I usually take two weeks off from any exercise during Christmas. Few years ago, I got a bad flu after the two weeks and I couldn't do any exercise for another week. My back flared up so bad I thought I had it, it's surgery time. Then I went back to the gym, within a week, I was back to usual. I swear by weight training. if I have to choose between MA and weight, it's not even a hard choice, I'd drop MA like a rock.
Yeah...I remember in one Gym I worked in we had a Center just for back Training and I sometimes worked with a female physio on our normal Training area. She was older and a bit quirky but I learned Lots from her.
I learned Sport admin and was a normal Fitness Trainer so no where near her know how about injuries. Had a good laugh sometimes together

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just find a bag of "High Protine Shake" that my wife is using in my kitchen. But it said "For weight loss". :)
Likely because protein (like fat, but differently) is filling and satisfying. And many newer diets are light on protein. So diet programs might include protein powder. It's likey much the same as other protein powders, but we buy more readily when the packaging says it's for the purpose we intend to use it for.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Likely because protein (like fat, but differently) is filling and satisfying. And many newer diets are light on protein. So diet programs might include protein powder. It's likey much the same as other protein powders, but we buy more readily when the packaging says it's for the purpose we intend to use it for.
I admittedly know very little I know about it but the inclusion of "all the meat protein you want" is what seems to makes the Keto diet work for many people. Dropping the carbs I think is akin to dropping body energy and there is a noticeable change in the body coined as the "Keto Flu", where you just feel like crap for a few days. But the body does adjust.
I am not nearly as lean as I once was and could stand to abstain from breads, pasta, and potato's a bit.
Will I is the real question.

'No for a thousand Alex'

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Yeah...I remember in one Gym I worked in we had a Center just for back Training and I sometimes worked with a female physio on our normal Training area. She was older and a bit quirky but I learned Lots from her.
I learned Sport admin and was a normal Fitness Trainer so no where near her know how about injuries. Had a good laugh sometimes together
Notice MD doctors mostly don't prescribe rehab with weights? They mainly prescribe PT or injection, or surgery. Even if you go to sports medicine doctors. I was lucky I went to St. Mary's spine center in SF, the place that operated on Joe Montana. They put me through PT, did not do a damn thing, out of desperation, they put me into a rehab with weight. I was magic and never look back. Been 35 years, still manage to fix almost everything for me. I went from not able to stand for 2 minutes to kick boxing in the last 30+ years. It's ALL credit to weight training. To every injury, there likely be a weight exercise that works and the result is fast to see. Whenever I injure myself, I experiment with different exercise, most of the time, I can find one that do the trick.

Only one seems to be exception, the hip joint. It's so simple, once it goes wrong, there doesn't seem to have anything that can fix it, it's not like knee, shoulder that have so many small parts that if one goes wrong, there's a way to recover. There's nothing my wife could do to help her hips but to replace it. The good news is the hip joint is so simple people can have total recovery in weeks. She could walk around in a day or two after surgery. She forgot about the two hips most of the time now.

That's the reason I am NOT an advocate for running or normal aerobic jumping exercise. People laugh of what I said, but it's the long term. If you do like 6 days a week for years when you are young, watch out when you get old. Too much concentrate on the leg and hip, the knee and hip can crap out. If it is bone on bone on the knee, the recovery is LONG after surgery. That's the reason I kept telling my wife to do kick boxing using arms and legs. She refused.

Also, it's so boring to run!!! Might as well KMN if I have to do running. My aerobics is rounds on heavy bags. I know it's not as good as running, but at 69, WHO CARES. At least I still can run up and down the stairs, still kicking and punching.

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Ha ha, nothing as filling( say full filling) as sweets and fatty food!!! I drink protein, I eat a lot of vegetables, BUT...........I save up the calories for sweets and treats!! That's why I still have a lot of "muscles" on my stomach!!! :)

Calories is calories, sickening thing is if you eat excess protein, the body can change it to carbohydrates. The body then change the carbohydrates to FAT. BUT, it doesn't work the reverse way. You cannot eat more carbs and hope the body can transform to protein. It doesn't work that way. Life is unfair. We studies all these in the bio-chem class back in the days.

that's the reason you don't drink 100 grams of protein in one shot. The body change excess to carbs. You drink max of 50grams each time and space it out. That's why you drink before, exercise, then drink later and maybe at night.

Last edited:

caped crusader

Brown Belt
Reaction score
The good news is the hip joint is so simple people can have total recovery in weeks. She could walk around in a day or two after surgery. She forgot about the two hips most of the time now.
I know a guy who has to have both hips done at just over 50. They did one recently and the next one will be in the near future.

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I know a guy who has to have both hips done at just over 50. They did one recently and the next one will be in the near future.
That's seem to be the trend, if one goes, the other follows soon. My wife is not lazy, she goes the the gym 3 times a week religiously and spend at least 1 hour each time. Our gym used to be Gold's Gym, it's for more serious people. They don't fool around. Her friend in the gym is going down the same road. She just had her first hip replacement a few months ago, now she said she feel it on the other one already.

Ha ha, if you can find a way to heal the hip joint by exercise, you'll be rich!!! It just doesn't work on hip.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ha ha, nothing as filling( say full filling) as sweets and fatty food!!! I drink protein, I eat a lot of vegetables, BUT...........I save up the calories for sweets and treats!! That's why I still have a lot of "muscles" on my stomach!!! :)

Calories is calories, sickening thing is if you eat excess protein, the body can change it to carbohydrates. The body then change the carbohydrates to FAT. BUT, it doesn't work the reverse way. You cannot eat more carbs and hope the body can transform to protein. It doesn't work that way. Life is unfair. We studies all these in the bio-chem class back in the days.

that's the reason you don't drink 100 grams of protein in one shot. The body change excess to carbs. You drink max of 50grams each time and space it out. That's why you drink before, exercise, then drink later and maybe at night.
Recent(ish) research suggests calories aren't all the same. The body reacts to some kinds of foods differently. For instance, sweet foods apparently cause an insulin reaction in advance, triggered by taste. That puts the body in a different state than the same number of calories in a steak. There even seems to be a difference in how the body reacts to different levels of sweetness, so that perceived sweetness may matter in the same way (though I'd expect to a lesser extent) as how many calories are in a food.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's seem to be the trend, if one goes, the other follows soon. My wife is not lazy, she goes the the gym 3 times a week religiously and spend at least 1 hour each time. Our gym used to be Gold's Gym, it's for more serious people. They don't fool around. Her friend in the gym is going down the same road. She just had her first hip replacement a few months ago, now she said she feel it on the other one already.

Ha ha, if you can find a way to heal the hip joint by exercise, you'll be rich!!! It just doesn't work on hip.
I suspect the gait change from a bad knee/hip/whatever puts enough strain on the other side to advance the issue. I didn't realize how much my left foot had changed my gait until I had surgery a couple of years ago, and now I wonder if the years of that gait aren't why my right knee is so much worse.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I suspect the gait change from a bad knee/hip/whatever ...
I don't understand how can one get bad knee/hip. Should there is early warning?

Whenever I don't feel comfortable on my knee, I would take easy on my knee. Just 2 or 3 days, my knee will come back to normal. As doctor said, "You should always listen to your body."

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Recent(ish) research suggests calories aren't all the same. The body reacts to some kinds of foods differently. For instance, sweet foods apparently cause an insulin reaction in advance, triggered by taste. That puts the body in a different state than the same number of calories in a steak. There even seems to be a difference in how the body reacts to different levels of sweetness, so that perceived sweetness may matter in the same way (though I'd expect to a lesser extent) as how many calories are in a food.
My knowledge is OLD!!! I never follow up with the latest trend. I literally studied these in college in 1977.

I can only say, I eat very sweet. I have to dip my Twix icecream in sugar( I mix sugar and Sweet & Low) to eat. I am really bad in this regard. I eat apple pie with condensed milk(sweet). Other than that, I am eating very healthy!!!

Hey, we live only once, I pay my dues in exercise. I am surprised my A1C is still below 6. I am not going to change until I have to.

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I don't understand how can one get bad knee/hip. Should there is early warning?

Whenever I don't feel comfortable on my knee, I would take easy on my knee. Just 2 or 3 days, my knee will come back to normal. As doctor said, "You should always listen to your body."
My experience is knee and shoulder has a lot of warning, what you do is correct, ease off and it'll likely come back. Hip is a totally different animal, when you feel the first sign, it's a big red flag. Whatever you are doing, STOP!!!

My wife have the first hip replacement in 2013, at the time when she was still with a PT, the guy already told him she need the hip replacement and warn her she's going to replace the other one sooner or later. She laughed that off at the time. She's not laughing anymore.

Till the pandemic, she was still doing fine with the second hip. Then the gym closed, so she started walking on the street. I told her to be careful, she didn't even do 6 days, only took a month or two when she felt the first symptom, it got worst fast and she had the second hip replacement in Aug 2020. It's that fast. In a way, it's good timing. The second hip was wearing thin from the X-ray already, she was 75, if it linger on for a few more years, it would be that much worst to have the hip replacement or they won't even do it because of old age.

If things work out for you, consider yourself lucky. You might have good genes and good workout regiments.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I eat very sweet. I have to dip my Twix icecream in sugar( I mix sugar and Sweet & Low) to eat.
There was 2 years of my life that I didn't have any sugar, salt, oil, ... in my kitchen. Everything that I ate was from steaming. After that 2 years, I lose desire of eating.

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I suspect the gait change from a bad knee/hip/whatever puts enough strain on the other side to advance the issue. I didn't realize how much my left foot had changed my gait until I had surgery a couple of years ago, and now I wonder if the years of that gait aren't why my right knee is so much worse.
Everything matters, it's a lot of weight on the hip and knee. You shift a little in weight distribution, it really affect the joints. You been to a Chiropractor? I remember one of the exam was they had me step one foot on one scale and look at the weight difference. It was off.

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
There was 2 years of my life that I didn't have any sugar, salt, oil, ... in my kitchen. Everything that I ate was from steaming. After that 2 years, I lose desire of eating.
My friend, you have to live!!! No wonder you lose weight!!! I work hard and I EAT hard.

I cook Chinese dishes, lots of oil, heat the pan to smoking hot and flambe the food to get the what we Chinese called "pan taste".

At our age, we need to enjoy life, I am not going to sacrifice living just to hope to live a few years longer. My brother-in-law died at 69 of pancreatic cancer, only one year after retirement. Can't worry too much. He was a lawyer, made a good living and well off enough. Never got to enjoy life, got sick within a year after retirement.

EDIT:

Hell, I am not sure I want to live past 90. I don't mind live long, but I don't want to become an invalid, not just physically, it's the mind. I did not have photographic memory, but when I was young, I can study the book one time and went to take the exam and did good. As I get older, I am losing it. After I retire, I still study advance math and physics to keep my mind active. I wrote good notes. I found myself forget what I studied just a few weeks later. When I read back my notes, I actually understood it and wrote perfect notes, but I had no memory I even wrote those.

Exercise is only half of my daily thing, I spent a lot of time in studying for my mind. But it doesn't seems to help as much as physical exercise. Just last year before I picked up stick fighting, I spent 7 months learning how to program computer in C++. I studied one book from cover to cover ( over 700 pages). I was good at it. Now I wonder how much I can still remember!!!

I don't want to live to the day when I become very helpless.

Last edited:

Latest Discussions