Getting back in shape and fighting bug

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Ok you guys......I have been sittin at home eating and relaxing after work since I stopped TKD in May. Thanks to Master Stoker I have gotten the bug to start back up. I didn't realize how badly outta shape I am in until I sparred with 2 of his students. I thought I developed asthma I was so tired and outta breath. (By the way if u have a chance to visit Master Stoker please do...great man with a wonderful family and if u dont feel like your home after 5 minutes then something is wrong)

There is a tournament mid august and I need to really get back into shape and fighting form. ANy suggestions giving the current timeframe?? I am gonna start today with running, stretching & technique work.

Any help would be great.

Also is there really anyway to work on distance by yourself or with one person? Anyone know of any drills?

Thanks you guys!

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It much faster to fall back down the mountain than to climb it in the first place. :)

Only someone who trained with a fair amount of intensity would know that, so I'm going to assume, up until May, you were one of them. Good for you! Not knowing your level of skill, I won't answer in that frame of text. What I will say, is that whatever you did to get there the first time, will get you there a second time. This time you know where the foot and hand holds are. Bringing yourself in shape will be much faster. Your mind is the key to everything. Have faith in what you already know and go with it. If you train regularly from now until then, you have more than enough time.

Good luck! Let us know how you do.

OP
AceHBK

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Thanks! Yeah the mental aspect is the main one and for some reason I forgot all about it.
I am a brown belt and stopped a week before I was to receive my red belt.
Mentally I am scared to see how long it takes to get into shape and perfect certain techniques.

In sparring match i felt so slow and thought way too much.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
AceHBK thank you for the kind words, you are welcome anytime to train with my school, I know the drive is a bit much, work on running drills like Yo Yo's and such and timing drills like using a swinging bag to hit the target. Put a tennis ball on a elastic cord and hang it fron the petio and work on hitting it while moving.
Terry

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
Good Luck AcdHBK and congrats to you Terry for motivating another student!

Suggest since you don't have a lot of time til mid-August that you do as much intense sparring as possible. If you don't have partners, perhaps you could run sprints of ever-increasing distance. Stay away from running long distances slowly-sparring is a race not a trip. Also, do intense drills on a heavy bag keeping track of how many kicks per minute and increase the length of time-go from 30 seconds to 45 seconds, to 1 minute to 1.25 minutes, etc.

Good luck at the tournament and tell us how it went!

Miles

fireman00

Brown Belt
Reaction score
jumping rope is the BEST (IMHO) for footwork and getting your wind back. Start with 3 - 2 minute rounds then every week increase your time by one minute until your up to 3 - 10 minute rounds. Try to keep the tempo up so you get 2 jumps in per second.

If you have access to a bag do one minute rounds of combos; jab, hook or whatever you like - do three rounds, increasing your time by a minute each week.

Next use the heavy bag to do kicking drills; same thing start at three - one minute rounds then increase by one minute each week.

Finally do punch/ kick combos for three - one minute rounds and increase by one minute each week.

Lots of sit ups for your abs, push ups and pull ups for the chest, and squats for the quads.

And welcome back!

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
Jump rope, also go to a track and run a quarter mile at an even pace and just gradually build up your wind that way. (If I gained anything from the USMC it is distance running).

Work your forms at least three times a day, all of them. Go over your one step sparring. Work your core, for the love of god work your core. That is the center of your universe.

Of course work flexibility.

Good luck and god speed man.

stone_dragone

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'd recommend looking into "Combat Contitioning" or some other bodyweight method too. You can look into them online...lots of good resources out there.

And I'm all about the jump rope, too.

OP
AceHBK

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Thanks everyone!

I started yesterday and ran some suicides on the basketball court.
(Ok let me b honest, my g/f MADE me run suicides when I hit her hand doing kicks as she held the kick paddle....lol)
As a result she now HATES holding the paddle but I told her it's been 2 months, gimmie a day or 2 :)

I am ashamed that at brown belt I cant remember any of my forms. :(

I will hit the jump rope as well and buy one today.
I will keep up with running as well.
I will keep u all posted.

TX_BB

Purple Belt
Reaction score
To AceHBK,

Try splitting your work outs:

Morning: Try this 10 Laps around the track walk/run,
first two laps walk to warm-up after that 100 yd.s sprint/run/jog, 100yd.s walking repeat 13 more times. 10-15 min.s on the bike and stretch.

Evening: Hit the Dojang and remember to hold the shield for other students so your body get's used to being hit.

Two weeks is kind of short but try to get your legs under you.

Good luck

OP
AceHBK

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Oh lord im sore. I think I may invest in BenGay or icy hot.
My legs feel like they have been run over by a truck.
My tornado kick is rusty but everything else is ok.

My g/f is nice and holds my kick paddles for me but I have hit her fingers a few times (bless her heart n fingers....I told her it will take awhile to get targeting back.) She now says she is will to put on my chest guard so her arms and fingers can take a break. :)

2+ months off from now on is a no no. My flexability is terrible.

I am doing the running and jump rope you all told me and that is helping alot.

Latest Discussions