New in Virginia

varick

White Belt
Reaction score
I am new to the Richmond Virginia area having recently moved from New Jersey, where I had a less than pleasurable experience with my last TKD school (virtually little instruction, people constantly getting hurt, etc). In seeking out a new Tae Kwon Do school in my new locale, I am cautious and I am looking for a very reputable school. So far, only two names have come up, Master Dong's and Master Chos. Both of these schools are in the Glen Allen area. How do I investigate the schools? People always reply to my inquiries, "just try a school to see if you like it". I was hoping to at least start with a schools reputation. Does anyone recogonize either of these schools, or have any other recommendations in the area?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

VARICK

HKphooey

Senior Master
Reaction score
First off, welcome to MT! :)

I am not fimiliar with any schools in your area, I am sure you will have some great advise for the rest of the MT group.

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Welcome to MT, varick!

I'm surprised to hear your experience in Jersey was so bad. There are so many reputable schools there.

I was looking at one time near Richmond also. Give me a little time and I'll come up with some quality names for you. I'm not familiar with the ones you posted, but I'll see what I can find out.

In the meantime, why don't you head over to the Meet and Greet section and post a "hello" over there. :)

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
First, welcome, and happy posting!

Second, being in Colorado, I am also not familiar with the names you post, or Richmond, for that matter. In addition to walking into the classes and trying them out, here are some other things to consider:
  • are the classes open? That is, do they let you walk in and watch, and possibly try the class (some places won't let you try without signing up, due to insurance concerns). If they don't, ask why - be wary of a class that won't let interested people watch.
    • If there are children's classes - are the parents allowed to watch? If not - be wary. If so, try to talk to some of them.
  • are the students willing to talk to you about the class? My students are always inviting friends to class to try it, and also answering questions from people in the Y where the class is held - and I encourage this. There are no deep, dark secrets of training that must remain within the gym, although there are things students aren't allowed to teach non-class members for safety reason - if you get this attitude, be wary.
  • Is the fee structure reasonable in comparison to other facilities in the area? Some factors to consider when comparing prices:
    • how many classes are offered a week?
    • are there price differences for different numbers of classes
    • can you access the facility to practice outside of class times? This one is worth extra money if the answer is yes.
    • are there sign-up fees or required equipment/clothing? My students aren't required to buy a uniform immediately, because I want them to see if they like it before they invest in gear - certainly, they are welcome to buy a uniform if they like, but they don't have to unless and until the first time they test.
      • If the gear is necessary for safety, do you have to buy it from them, or can you get it anywhere? How do their prices for gear compare to others?
  • Do you like the "vibe" you get from the facility and staff? If everything else seems good, but it doesn't feel right, pay attention!
  • Are you able to talk to the instructor before joining? If not, to an assistant instructor? Not being able to hook up is one thing - but if no one is willing to talk to you before you pay - be wary!
  • Is the class part of a larger organization? If so, investigate the organization as well as the class.
You might also check into classes in recreation centers, community colleges, and YMCAs - they tend to be more limited in their times, but since the instructors answer to the facility as well as any seniors they may have in the MA, there are more people to talk to about how the program runs. Also, these classes are often less-expensive than stand-alone gyms - there's less overhead, and the instructors are often teaching part-time because they enjoy teaching, rather than full-time, and this can create a different atmosphere within the class.

I hope this is a little more useful to you than the advice you've had before. Please feel free to come back with more questions as you find out more about the classes available in your area.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Welcome to MT and just go and watch a couple of classes sit down explain what happened in the other school you was at and your concern in finding another school.
Terry

cooldude

White Belt
Reaction score
Too bad you don't live in Norfolk, Va area. I've been with Grandmaster Park for 5 1/2 years. But too far away for sure. I transfered to Chicago IL and miss the place.

Buck

White Belt
Reaction score
If you're still looking for a school in Richmond, try Koryo on Three Chopt! I looked at a lot of schools before joining and Koryo is definitely the best in the area. In my opinion, Master Dong's is more of a business then a teaching establishment - when I went to observe there did not seem to be much focus on correcting improper technique. Master Cho's seemed better suited for children looking for a fun after school program. Here's Koryo's website:
http://www.koryomartialarts.org/

Latest Discussions