General Outlook & Questions

Garzeel

White Belt
Reaction score
Though it has been years since I've attended classes (specifically, Tang Soo Do classes), I still have a desire to further my understanding and practice of self-defense martial styles. Yet, at the moment, I am not able (living constraints) to attend any sort of school or studio, and will not be looking for one for maybe a year or so.

I have, however, picked up a keen interest in my formerly retired Bo staff, and perhaps a desire to learn some empty-handed fighting as well. Though I will accept that simply practicing without direct instruction may not offer me much advancement, I am hopeful that I will be able to develop some skill with the Bo before I eventually find someone to teach me.

So, any general advice/resources with self-teaching methods? And, what is the outlook, in your opinion, for solitary practice?

Anarax

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Though it has been years since I've attended classes (specifically, Tang Soo Do classes), I still have a desire to further my understanding and practice of self-defense martial styles. Yet, at the moment, I am not able (living constraints) to attend any sort of school or studio, and will not be looking for one for maybe a year or so.

I have, however, picked up a keen interest in my formerly retired Bo staff, and perhaps a desire to learn some empty-handed fighting as well. Though I will accept that simply practicing without direct instruction may not offer me much advancement, I am hopeful that I will be able to develop some skill with the Bo before I eventually find someone to teach me.

So, any general advice/resources with self-teaching methods? And, what is the outlook, in your opinion, for solitary practice?

I think it's a great idea to build on what you know when it come to solo training. If you have a foundational understating of a style, build on it. Conditioning drills that correspond to the style you think you will attend again in the future is also a good idea. Keeping you Martial arts muscles tight, strong and quick, will give you a huge advantage when you return to training.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

If you have even a very sparse experience with the bo, look for material that is related to that experience. It doesn't have to be the same style, so long as the basic forms carry the same principles as you were taught. On top of that, practice the strikes and blocks of the staff against something other than air. Even trying them on a static heavy bag will give you feedback that kata will not.