Gardeners/Greenhouse Growers?

Shuto

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Yep. I've started my peppers and tomatoes from seed. I'm about to start some herbs from seed as well. Both are still indoors of course. I expect to plant some lettuce outdoors soon. Maybe ~two weeks.

I enjoy working with the soil and growing things but I also enjoy the quality and variety of the vegitables that I grow. I pretty much only plant heirloom tomatoes for example. I don't see these varieties in the stores or roadside stands and I find there flavor superior even when I consider the homegrown factor. I also enjoy the varieties of peppers that I plant, specifically the hot cherry and Thai peppers.

I used to plant potatoes and onions but I don't do that anymore. I find the super market quality equal to what I can grow.

What do you grow?

OP
HKphooey

HKphooey

Senior Master
Reaction score
I just grow a few tomatos and peppers, but I work in the ag industry. I built the ecommerce sites for the company I work for and never knew too much about growing. Since I am surrounded by greenhouse talk all day, I am gettting more interested.

Shaderon

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I used to be, I leave it up to the hubby now though, he loves doing it and I don't play well with others... especially others I don't agree with on what way up to plant a bulb... *shakes head* anyway I do still grow some seedlings for him and this year I'm having a go at some Cayenne Chilli Peppers. I also grow pots of herbs, I love my fresh herbs, it makes all the difference when you can just pop outside for some fresh rosemary, sage or such to use in the cooking.

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
We have a garden, which helps me, because I'm vegetarian. We grow tomatoes, beans, cucumbers, and basil regularly. But we have tried other stuff like lettuce (didn't grow too great here, though). I've tried growing bell peppers, but the plants don't produce that many peppers, so we'd have to plant a lot of them to be worth it. We did try hot peppers, though, and they grew nicely.

Shuto

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I love my fresh herbs, it makes all the difference when you can just pop outside for some fresh rosemary, sage or such to use in the cooking.

Yep. They're definitely worth the effort.

I successfully overwintered some Thyme and Rosemary this winter by potting them and bringing them inside. The Thyme is weak but the Rosemary has done very well. I recently used it in some lamb/lentil soup.

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm gardening this year for the first time in about 20 years. My father doesn't have room at his place so we're sharing garden space at mine. My garden this year is about football field size and will probably wind up with a little of everything in it. The only thing I've started indoors so far are my jalepeno, hungarian wax and bell peppers. Our last frost is supposed to be this coming weekend so I'll be ready to plant everything after that.

OP
HKphooey

HKphooey

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm gardening this year for the first time in about 20 years. My father doesn't have room at his place so we're sharing garden space at mine. My garden this year is about football field size and will probably wind up with a little of everything in it. The only thing I've started indoors so far are my jalepeno, hungarian wax and bell peppers. Our last frost is supposed to be this coming weekend so I'll be ready to plant everything after that.

MMMMMMM.... peppers! :)

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My garden this year is about football field size and will probably wind up with a little of everything in it.

Colour me seriously envious! The last time I had a decent area of land to work with was when me and my father turned a grazing field into an arable plot (thinking about it, that was the last time I used a scythe too :D).

I do have a garden with our new house but it's not 'vegetable friendly' i.e. the front is terraced decorative planting and the rear is 95% lawn :(.

I'm thinking maybe a few tubs and artificial 'beds' on the rear patio - I just have to get the missus on side :).

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Colour me seriously envious! The last time I had a decent area of land to work with was when me and my father turned a grazing field into an arable plot (thinking about it, that was the last time I used a scythe too :D).

I do have a garden with our new house but it's not 'vegetable friendly' i.e. the front is terraced decorative planting and the rear is 95% lawn :(.

I'm thinking maybe a few tubs and artificial 'beds' on the rear patio - I just have to get the missus on side :).
The great part about the plot that I'm using is that it's really only about 1/3 of the space I have available to me. I can move the garden spot around or just rotate crops within the one spot if I want. Along with the veggies and melons I'll also have apples from the orchard we live in and peaches and cherries in the back yard. I wouldn't be too jealous, though. Extra garden just means extra work and lord knows I don't have a lot of extra time to spare. I'll try to take photos later in the season and post them here. http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/contain/ You may try this forum out for info on container gardening.

HK, MMMM! is right. I love peppers. I'm currently searching the greenhouses around here for serrano, habanero and banana peppers that will be ready to plant soon.

Sukerkin

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Cheers for the link theletch1 :tup:.

I concur that extra garden does equivelate (made up word?) to extra work but having the space is always great :).

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Not me. It's just not something I enjoy. But I do LOVE the fresh garden veggies. *sigh*

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Not me. It's just not something I enjoy. But I do LOVE the fresh garden veggies. *sigh*
I've raised kids and I've raised veggies and I'll take raising veggies any day!:) Veggies are cheaper to raise, don't give you much trouble and when the time is right you get to eat 'em.

Sukerkin. No problem on the link. I just found that forum a little while ago and have gotten loads of information from it. My SN over there is Catnip1970.

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've raised kids and I've raised veggies and I'll take raising veggies any day!:) Veggies are cheaper to raise, don't give you much trouble and when the time is right you get to eat 'em.

LMAO! This is ohhhhh so true!

Sukerkin

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sukerkin. No problem on the link. I just found that forum a little while ago and have gotten loads of information from it. My SN over there is Catnip1970.

I'll have a look out for you when I get the chance to browse there - cheers.

Latest Discussions