Funny

OP
K

Kenpo Wolf

I thought it was funny. As a matter of fact I did something like that when I was young and DUMB.

BTW, when you support a crime, which is stealing in this case, you are guilty of the crime as well:p

OP
T

Taiji fan

Kirk said:
In case I didn't make it clear this time ... to answer you question, YES YES YES YES YES YES YES
glad to know some one else hasn't had a humour by pass! :hammer:

OP
D

Deathtrap101

Stealing is wrong, but thats funny stuff.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Plain and simple. I don't find it funny. (I imagine it's apocryphal.) It hardly seems in keeping with the philosophy of a martial artist--the protagonists may not have been such, but those of us here are!

OP
K

Kirk

Hmm .. and some wonder where political correctness comes from.
:rolleyes:

They're not "man hole covers" they're "personal access chamber
hole covers".

It's a joke. Something meant to make people laugh. Small minds
may find it funny, but smaller still need to get over it.

OP
T

Taiji fan

well I guess martial artists are all saints and angels then , rushing to help the needy and bash the greedy.....or are they in actual fact real people?.........when did having a high moral standing mean a lack of humour? So whats your modern western view of the philosphy of martial arts then? I would say that in order to survive a martial artist by nature must be an opportunist, relaxed in their being and able to adapt to each situation and see the whole picture. If stuck rigidly to a set of self appointed morals then a few things dissapear out of the window........humility for one.....

In the words of Ducky Dale (Pretty in Pink)...
"its called a sense of humour...you should get one...they're nice"

OP
A

Abbax8

Originally posted by Taiji fan
well I guess martial artists are all saints and angels then , rushing to help the needy and bash the greedy.....or are they in actual fact real people?.........when did having a high moral standing mean a lack of humour? So whats your modern western view of the philosphy of martial arts then? I would say that in order to survive a martial artist by nature must be an opportunist, relaxed in their being and able to adapt to each situation and see the whole picture. If stuck rigidly to a set of self appointed morals then a few things dissapear out of the window........humility for one.....

In the words of Ducky Dale (Pretty in Pink)...
"its called a sense of humour...you should get one...they're nice"
Of course we are not all saints. But are we saints in the making? What ideal do you aspire to for yourself. Is MA for you a way to improve yourself as a person, or are mainly interested in the fighting skills to be derived from. The story being debated here is SUPPOSEDLY funny because the person injured is a drug addict. Does that make him less than human. Yeah I'm talking way serious here!!! But by our actions we each effect the world and those around us. Just as I don't condone criminal behavior from drug addicts, I can't condone this kind of stupidity and say it is funny! Feel free to make fun OF ME for my attitude, but that will not change the fact that the story relates to rude, crude and childish behavior. Not to mention ILLEGAL.

Peace
Dennis

OP
T

Taiji fan

What ideal do you aspire to for yourself Is MA for you a way to improve yourself as a person, or are mainly interested in the fighting skills to be derived from.
never to lose my sense of humouris my main aspiration and yes being a better person, someone who doesn't over react on small things, over analyze and judge people based on rigid moral judgements.
The story being debated here is SUPPOSEDLY funny because the person injured is a drug addict
you still don't get it, the humour has nothing to do with the people involved just in the action, the difference in two peoples definition of crack.......if it was a sketch in comedy show would you still have had such a problem with it?
Feel free to make fun OF ME for my attitude, but that will not change the fact that the story relates to rude, crude and childish behavior. Not to mention ILLEGAL
why would I want to make fun of you.......i just feel sorry for you, you didn't get the joke, you read into it the whole moralistic judgemnt.....I am always suspicious of people who over anyalyze somthing that is meant to be lighthearted or taken at face value especially when looking for the moral content to base their opinion and then use it to appear self righteous........or to put people down....now I am not saying this is your intention, but I had an old teacher who said to me, "always be wary of pointing the finger at someone....there is always three pointing back at yourself!" childish behaviour is good for the soul...rude and crude?, someone showed their butt.....well there is a helluva lot worse in this world. Ilegal, oh spare me the drama, the guy didn't get what he expected thats all, don't large companies rip people off daily making promises they can't deliver?

OP
M

Mon Mon

to quote Takamatsu "How Difficult is life when your constantly laughing and smiling" Essence of Ninjutsu i belive is where this came from.

The point is learn to be happy in your life. To all those who find it offenseive im sorry if you feel that way but its just ment to make you smile. Nothing more Nothing less don't over analyze it okay. You need a Since of Humor not only as a Martial Artist but also as a human being if you don't learn to be happy in life then i feel sorry for you.

OP
N

Nyoongar

I bet you guys think that "Bum Fights" is a bit of light hearted entertainment too?

OP
K

Kirk

Originally posted by Nyoongar
I bet you guys think that "Bum Fights" is a bit of light hearted entertainment too?

I hear they got paid before hand, but factoring that out, "Bums"
aren't law breakers, who resort to crime to satisfy their own
greed. The bum fights do have humor in them though. The guy
does do a good impression of The Crocodile Hunter.

Like taiji fan, I agree that "the humour has nothing to do with the
people involved just in the action". Another thing I find funny,
that you probably wouldn't is here, Following the same guideline.

OP
N

Nyoongar

Actually, it's not a correct comparison. Would it have been funny if it was a child being robbed?

But I do understand what you mean. I just think it is easy to carry things a bit to far sometimes. I'm just stirring trying to get a discusion going.:D

I am definitely not one to judge others on moral grounds.

Phil Elmore

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The incident described in the beginning of this thread obviously never happened.

OP
K

Kirk

Originally posted by Sharp Phil
The incident described in the beginning of this thread obviously never happened.

That's what I've been thinking all along as well.

OP
M

Master of Blades

Originally posted by Kirk
That's what I've been thinking all along as well.

Which is why you and all the others who found it funny did. Its kinda funny, cuz the the moral of the story is DONT be too gullible and take stuff too serious. Unless it was a real story......Then just forget this post ever happened :shrug:

Latest Discussions