Full body program for martial arts

Oogway

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi every one. I have started with a full body training program to be able to hit the whole body twice a week, as well as to train more athletically. I train minimum karate three times a week, judo once a week, once tabata and twice full body workout. what do you think about my full body program? Some changes?

Day A:
Barbell squat 3-4 set - 6 reps
Pull ups 3 set - max reps
Dumbell bent over row 3 set - 8 reps
Dumbell bench press 3 set - 8 reps
Lateral raises 3 set - 15 reps
Dips 3 set - max reps
Full contact twist 3 set - 12 reps

Day b:
hip thrust 3 set - 8 reps
Hex bar deadlift 3-4 set - 5 reps
Chin ups 3 set - max reps.
Land mine one arm shoulder press 3 set - 8 reps
Barbell bench press medium grip 3 sets - 8 reps
Hanging knee raises 3 set - max reps

Koryuhoka

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Hi every one. I have started with a full body training program to be able to hit the whole body twice a week, as well as to train more athletically. I train minimum karate three times a week, judo once a week, once tabata and twice full body workout. what do you think about my full body program? Some changes?

Day A:
Barbell squat 3-4 set - 6 reps
Pull ups 3 set - max reps
Dumbell bent over row 3 set - 8 reps
Dumbell bench press 3 set - 8 reps
Lateral raises 3 set - 15 reps
Dips 3 set - max reps
Full contact twist 3 set - 12 reps

Day b:
hip thrust 3 set - 8 reps
Hex bar deadlift 3-4 set - 5 reps
Chin ups 3 set - max reps.
Land mine one arm shoulder press 3 set - 8 reps
Barbell bench press medium grip 3 sets - 8 reps
Hanging knee raises 3 set - max reps
Barbell Medicine - Dr Austin Baraki. He is a Medical Doctor - I believe. The simpler you keep your regimen, the better.

SahBumNimRush

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I think it is important to clearly define/set your goal(s), so that you can always adapt your program to best reach your goal(s). Personally, and professionally, I prefer a periodized program design. Each phase of the program focuses on different aspects of your strength, and it has been scientifically shown to be highly effective (remember the USSR olympians of the 70's and 80's? Louis Simmons of Westside Barbell fame is the American who adopted this program design, and it's what helped make his gym and his athletes world famous)

My general approach is this:

Phase 1: Hypertrophy- good for working on technique and building muscular endurance and size.

4-6 weeks 4-5 sets of 12-20 reps at 50% of your maximum load with 1-2 minutes rest in between sets. Major compound movements may reduce the sets to 1-2, due to fatigue.

Phase 2: Strength
4-5 weeks 4-5 sets of 4-8 reps
75-85% load 3-4 min rest

Phase 3: Power
3-4 weeks 3 sets of 3 reps
85-95% load 4-5 min rest

Phase 4: Peak
2-3 weeks 2-3 sets of 1-3 reps
100%+ load 5-7 min rest

Phase 5: Transition
2 weeks of recovery, preparing setting now maximum load lifts to reset your percentages before starting the program over again.

I know this is less about which particular exercises you perform, and more about how to best set and achieve your strength goals. I hope this helps. Good luck!

Latest Discussions