Fukushima is a triumph for nuke power: Build more reactors now!

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/03/14/fukushiima_analysis/

Analysis Japan's nuclear powerplants have performed magnificently in the face of a disaster hugely greater than they were designed to withstand, remaining entirely safe throughout and sustaining only minor damage. The unfolding Fukushima story has enormously strengthened the case for advanced nations – including Japan – to build more nuclear powerplants, in the knowledge that no imaginable disaster can result in serious problems.

Interesting read.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Oddly enough, that is just what I and a physicist friend of mine have been saying just this evening.

For the stations to stand up to forces eight times greater than their theoretical design specs and then get swamped by a tsunami is a testiment to some robust engineering.

The news continues to froth terror in the seeming hopes that a meltdown will actually occur (as ratings are more imortant than anything else it appears) and this plays right into the hands of anti-nuclear brigade. Radiation is scary, aye, because you can't sense it but too much of it can hurt you.

But the fact is that there are granite foundationed houses in SW England that emit more radiation (radon) than has been reported so far - and that is long half-life stuff rather than the more briefly lived gases venting from the Japanese reactors. For what the newsies are not telling people is that the exposure so far to the worst affected is less than half what you get from a routine x-ray.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Understand that I'm not anti-nuclear ... except when it's turned into a bomb. But there are photos here: http://totallycoolpix.com/2011/03/japan-earthquake-and-tsunami-nuclear-disaster-looms-large/ that are telling a story by themselves. Granted that the whole thing hasn't burned a hole through to say... umm Spain? means they're fighting awfully hard to prevent it from melting down. But yes I'd agree that it is a testament to the engineering that everything has held pretty durn good considering the explosions they've had. Now at least they'll (Japanese) know to take major earthquakes and tsunami's into account when building new ones. Of course when things settle down a bit... http://www.iris.edu/seismon/bigmap/index.phtml Edit... news ... http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/ap_on_bi_ge/as_japan_earthquake_nuclear_crisis

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
Aye. And coal powered plants emite as much or more radioactive dust on a continuous basis. Nuclear is still one of the safest and most reliable sources of energy.

Sadly, the greenies are crawling out of the woodwork, with barely concealed glee, saying that these events will of course have to be considered in the current nucelar energy exit discussions. No doubt they'll milk this for all it's worth, and the sheeple will bleat along to their tune.

Shuto

Purple Belt
Reaction score
If the containment vessel is significantly breached and we end up with another Chernobyl-like 30K exclusion zone it will be hard to paint this as an engineering success.

Just sayin'.

eta - To be clear, I am very impressed with how plants held up except for the obvious fault with their cooling design. I've read that new designs address that issue by using gravity instead of pumps.

Sukerkin

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It seems things have gotten worse over night with suspicion that there may indeed be a danger of breach of containment in one of the reactors after another explosion. Yet again the media is stretching this to frightening heights as the Japanese government takes precautions just in case the worst happens - for if they didn't then they would be rightly criticised for unpreparedness.

So far the news has it that there is higher radioactivity in the vicintiy of the reactor building but it's still nothing close to the Chernobyl comparisons that are being drawn - it's a case of getting a years dose in an hour if you were in the building. Hardly a good sign but without supporting information it should not be taken to mean that the reactors going to melt down. It's just best to plan as if it were going to.

EDIT: Seen some new figures on the temporary spike in radiation detected. It was a lot worse than I'd heard earlier but was transient.

Last edited:

Shuto

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I question why they haven't actually distributed iodine pills to the population. Seems like a simple and economical measure that could save a lot of ilness in coming years if things deteriorate any further. I've read reports that they are stockpiling iodine but it's not going to do the people a lot of good if it remains in their distribution centers when they are telling people not to leave their homes. Perhaps there's a down-side to taking iodine. I don't claim to be an expert.

I bought some iodine pills about 15 years ago for such an occasion. Does anyone know if they deteriorate over time? I've searched but haven't been able to find anything reliable so far.

Sukerkin

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Have a look here, Shuto: http://www.nrc.gov/about-nrc/emerg-preparedness/protect-public/ki-faq.html

Particularly:

Is it safe to take KI tablets with an expired shelf-life?
Yes, potassium iodide tablets are inherently stable and do not lose their effectiveness over time. Manufacturers must label their products with a shelf-life to ensure that consumers purchase safe and useful products.

Latest Discussions