a new term "conservanerd"

billc

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is a great new term which deals with the conflict in the conservative/republican side of the political debate.

http://bigjournalism.com/kschlichter/2011/03/14/revenge-of-the-conservanerds/

From the article,

Conservanerds aren’t hard to identify. You can tell one by listening to him for about 15 seconds, by which time you will be overcome by a desire to either slap him or take his lunch money. You can find them dwelling at the fringes of liberal culture – they are allowed to attend the cocktail parties as the token conservative, tolerated by their masters in return for passive obedience and the occasional swipe at Sarah Palin and her intolerable uppityness.

(As I am a Palin supporter, please, use another term for me, I would not be a conservanerd.
Bill Cihak)

Ramirez

Black Belt
Reaction score
This is a great new term which deals with the conflict in the conservative/republican side of the political debate.

http://bigjournalism.com/kschlichter/2011/03/14/revenge-of-the-conservanerds/

From the article,

Conservanerds aren’t hard to identify. You can tell one by listening to him for about 15 seconds, by which time you will be overcome by a desire to either slap him or take his lunch money. You can find them dwelling at the fringes of liberal culture – they are allowed to attend the cocktail parties as the token conservative, tolerated by their masters in return for passive obedience and the occasional swipe at Sarah Palin and her intolerable uppityness.

(As I am a Palin supporter, please, use another term for me, I would not be a conservanerd.
Bill Cihak)

Conservatard :lol: ? Just kidding Bill

OP
B

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
None taken. I can take it...wait, I need to wipe my eyes, and no, I am not crying, it's just my allergies. Those aren't sobs either, I just like to take short breaths now and then. I need to be alone.

Empty Hands

Senior Master
Reaction score
Anti-intellectualism is a hallmark of today's movement conservatism, so no surprise that the Breitbart empire consume their intelligent own.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Anti-intellectualism is a hallmark of today's movement conservatism, so no surprise that the Breitbart empire consume their intelligent own.

I am of the opinion that 90% of everyone is a booger-eatin' moron. I don't think any political party has a lock on it.

That said, yes, there is an anti-intellectualism to the radical right wing of conservatism. I want to believe that's mainly because an intellectual conservative's principles are based on reason and logic, not being told what the party line is and what to be offended by as found in the annals of certain right-wing blogs (this sword cuts both ways - plenty of liberals only believe what they read in their own blogs). Also, I suspect that many of the radical right resent being talked down to by intellectual or pseudo-intellectual liberals, and as a result, tend to distrust anyone with a brain in their head.

But what do I know? True conservatism died with William F. Buckley and Barry Goldwater.

The true test is this - if one of 'your own' suddenly comes up with a viewpoint that is contrary to the party line, do you listen to them, hear them out, think about what they're saying; or do you assume they've gone over to the dark side or been 'gotten to' by big powers, and turf them out of your little club?

In other words, if a person's beliefs (left or right) can't be shaken, if it is a religious article of faith that one must believe without question what one is told, then one may be a member of the 90% I referred to.

OP
B

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Rush, yes, that's right, Rush discussed this topic today. He mentioned that the "intellectual" conservatives were against Ronal Reagan as well. He was the Sarah Palin of his day. Rush mentioned that George Will supported Howard Baker over Reagan and that Charles Krauthammer wrote speeches for Walter Mondale. The tea party movement and its friends are not anti-intellectual. the tea party and its friends are Anti-ineffectual. The beltway conservatives and their Ivy league buddies have put this country in a horrible position. Even now, the belt way Republicans in the house are trying to slow down the spending cuts they promised.

The time for the spending increases, the tax increases, the bending before the democrats is over. It is time to implement rather than pick at fine points. The new wave of conservatives are smart but they are, more importantly, wiser, and determined, and not yet so much a part of the beltway that they can't see straight.

OP
B

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
William F. Buckley, the anit-intellectual:

William F. Buckley, Jr. Quotes
b.gif
I'd rather entrust the government of the United States to the first 400 people listed in the Boston telephone directory than to the faculty of Harvard University.
William F. Buckley, Jr.

Hardly an endorsement for intellectuals.

Read more: http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/w/williamfb400600.html#ixzz1Gdp9Mzld

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
The true test is this - if one of 'your own' suddenly comes up with a viewpoint that is contrary to the party line, do you listen to them, hear them out, think about what they're saying; or do you assume they've gone over to the dark side or been 'gotten to' by big powers, and turf them out of your little club?

This is why I tore up my greenpeace membership card.
I agree with them on many things, but I got fed up with the fact that the majority of the weenies seem to employ the same tactics as the right wing and left wing extremists: refuse to discuss arguments on an intellectual level and take everything to the emotional level.

Like I said in my gingrich thread: the world would benefit greatly if people stopped cheering the village idiots in their own camp.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Rush, yes, that's right, Rush discussed this topic today. He mentioned that the "intellectual" conservatives were against Ronal Reagan as well. He was the Sarah Palin of his day. Rush mentioned that George Will supported Howard Baker over Reagan and that Charles Krauthammer wrote speeches for Walter Mondale.

He's picking and choosing to make his point. But that's typical; his listeners are hardly going to do any of their own research.

http://www.amazon.com/Reagan-Knew-William-Buckley-Jr/dp/0465009263

That may have been one of Reagan’s greatest gifts: his ability to separate political and personal matters, to disagree with someone while remaining respectful and friendly. It would be easy, if you were skimming this book, to miss most of its subtleties. But it is, in truth, a deeply subtle account, full of insights not only into Ronald Reagan but also into William Buckley, his longtime friend, supporter, and (occasional) critic. --David Pitt

Buckley was a conservative intellectual. Buckley was a Reagan supporter, so much so that he wrote a book about his friend, the last one he ever wrote. Therefore, Rush's statement that intellectual conservatives did not like Reagan is incorrect. But I doubt any of his listeners can stop their heads bobbing up and down long enough to do their own research and figure it out.

The tea party movement and its friends are not anti-intellectual. the tea party and its friends are Anti-ineffectual. The beltway conservatives and their Ivy league buddies have put this country in a horrible position. Even now, the belt way Republicans in the house are trying to slow down the spending cuts they promised.

The Tea Party are idiots. And I am an anti-idiotarian. It's like matter and anti-matter, I hope to never come in close proximity.

The time for the spending increases, the tax increases, the bending before the democrats is over. It is time to implement rather than pick at fine points. The new wave of conservatives are smart but they are, more importantly, wiser, and determined, and not yet so much a part of the beltway that they can't see straight.

The new wave of conservatives are numbskulls who cling to a party line above anything else. They are either incapable of thinking for themselves or they prefer not to. If the party leaders suggested they wear a particular color shirt and give a particular salute to demonstrate solidarity, they'd do it without a word of dissension.

Empty Hands

Senior Master
Reaction score
If the party leaders suggested they wear a particular color shirt and give a particular salute to demonstrate solidarity, they'd do it without a word of dissension.

On a very odd note...
"Sarah Palin called the Obama Administration’s actions as the “Road to Ruin”!...We are on the “Road to Ruin”, and we are stopping on the side of that road to protest the downfall of our country!" LINK

OP
B

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well, Rush, who was a friend of William Buckley's, made the point on his show that Buckley was one of the "intellectual" conservatives who actually liked Reagan. It was the other conservanerds who didn't like Reagan. Of course Reagan, like Palin, ran rings around his detractors.

Yes, the Tea party are idiots, just ask all the democrats who were kicked out of office in the last election. I'm sure they would agree with you Bill Mattocks. Of course winning elections just isn't as satisfying as debating the finer points of logic and reason with democrats as they implement their tax increases and spending increases, and cut the military, and apologize to our enemies. I see what you mean. Those Tea Partiers are real idiots.

Latest Discussions