From form to application

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The problem of the form -> application approach is that you can only learn 1 application.

If your form has this combo, when your opponent blocks your side kick and spins your body to your left, you can land your kicking leg and palm strike on your opponent's neck.

What if your opponent blocks your side kick and spins your body to your right? You have to learn another form that has this combo in order to be able to deal with this situation.

This is what happens when people think the form is the only way to do a specific technique. It means the person isn't exploring the techniques. Based on what you stated, I shouldn't know half of the stuff that I know and learned on my own.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
The problem of the form -> application approach is that you can only learn 1 application.

If your form has this combo, when your opponent blocks your side kick and spins your body to your left, you can land your kicking leg and palm strike on your opponent's neck.

What if your opponent blocks your side kick and spins your body to your right? You have to learn another form that has this combo in order to be able to deal with this situation.

Saying a form restricts you to one application I have no choice but to respectfully and utterly disagree with.

That's pretty much missing the point of doing forms if you ask me.

They aren't a script for a fight, that's silly. That's saying you should follow the order and expect your opponent to play along. That's not a form, that's a partner drill.

If you can't use what you learn in a form rearranged, split up, reordered, switched stance, backwards, with the book application and without - then you haven't learned it.

You've learned a dance.

Latest Discussions