French Savate

T

ThuNder_FoOt

I was justwonder if there are any Savateurs out there. I'm currently cross training in Savate and I love it!!!

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My JKD instructor occasionally shows us a little bit of it, e.g. there "flippy" version of the roundhouse kick.

Why did you start Savate? Do you get to do la canne too or just kickboxing?

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I was always curious about it, but never found anyone local to me who was familiar with it. I know a few pro-wrestlers use some modified versions of the kicks. (Thats where I first got the interest...Stan Lane, I believe he is/was a Savate instructor)

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Kaith Rustaz
I was always curious about it, but never found anyone local to me who was familiar with it.

Didn't the JKD instructor who used to teach at Mr. Hartman's school also teach Savate?

OP
T

ThuNder_FoOt

Yeah, the Savate round kick is pretty simiilar to the TKD roundkick i.e. "flippy style".

For the most part, Its just a kickboxing style. All the Savate tournaments I've been to out here are done pretty much the same way. The scoring system is done differently though.

Just forgot... there is a tournament out in Belgium once a year that does the La Canne style, in which we participate.

OP
T

ThuNder_FoOt

To answer your question Arnisador,

The reason I started Savate was because I was having trouble with my footwork. The footwork I learned from TKD, and the footwork I've learned from MT/Kickboxing are very different. Being that TKD is my foundation, is was hard for me to incorporate the hand/close range techniques in MT, while trying to keep distance to pull off the dynamic kicking. I was having trouble moving fluidly from one movement to the next. Savate has more fluidity of movement than TKD (IMHO) ;). It also has similar dynamic kicking movements that I'm used to, with boxing hand techniques. The only thing about Savate that I'm not really fond of, is using the toes as a striking surface.

Through the Movement that I'm learning in Savate, its helping me to get a better understanding of how to execute the kicks I'm used to, while still being in a position do things I've learned from other styles. Plus, I've always been obsessed with being a featherfoot :D. Once I saw how light they were on they're feet, I was anxious to learn.

:asian: