Free "Jissen" Magazine

StuartA

Black Belt
Reaction score
Thought some of you guys & gals might like this.

Jissen_pic01.jpg

Jissen Magazine, compliled by Iain Abernthy is available to download via this link: http://www.raynerslanetkd.com/Jissen.html
Free to download, read & distribute.

Regards,
Stuart

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Looks like agreat magizine, will have to take the time to read and go over it. Thank you

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Just downloaded the pdf and I skimmed through the articles. Thank you; this will be a nice introduction to bunkai for those who have not been exposed to the idea before.

myusername

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Thanks Stuart, I will download. I have also just bought your book and am really enjoying it thank you :):asian:

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm on Iain A.'s newsletter subscription list and got my hands on the first issue through his post to that list... Jissen's articles are precisely the sort of thing that most standard MA mags neglect in favor of fluff pieces with no martial content, and advertising tie-ins to the authors or subjects of the articles they do publish. That's one reason why my current subscriptions consist only of Classical Fighting Arts. I'm very glad to see this new venture take off, and wish it all success!

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
That's one reason why my current subscriptions consist only of Classical Fighting Arts.

But you're missing out on all the video belt rank programs, Exile! :)

I also like the Journal of Asian Martial Arts. They have regular coverage of Goju-Ryu karate-do which is always a plus in my opinion.

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
But you're missing out on all the video belt rank programs, Exile! :)

I know, I know, ... sigh... I can feel life passing me by! :D

I also like the Journal of Asian Martial Arts. They have regular coverage of Goju-Ryu karate-do which is always a plus in my opinion.

JAMA is outstanding, absolutely. It's really in a league of its own. I really should subscribe to that too... I've heard ominous things about them being able to keep their head above water... good point, I'm gonna send in a subscription to them today. Given how much my own take on MA history owes to their really carefully researched papers, I definitely owe them a few years' subscription, at this point.

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Brilliant, Stuart!

Jissen is the future of MA publications, I believe. The advertising catalogues which pose as MA magazines—which people, unbelievably, are paying $5 or so an issue for!—are going to be under a huge amount of pressure from internet sources, such as this one, which offer quality and content. The inverse relationship between price and substance manifest in a comparison of Jissen with Black Belt, say, is... just unreal.

YoungMan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Well, if I practiced Japanese or Okinawan karate, I would definitely keep it in mind. But since I don't....

Maybe someday someone will start a Taekwondo magazine that is informative, well written, and doesn't glorify select instructors who pay to be on the cover. You can always hope.

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well, if I practiced Japanese or Okinawan karate, I would definitely keep it in mind. But since I don't....

There's more than just that&#8212;in the first issue, Stuart has an article on self-defense applications of TKD hyungs, and Peter Consterdine, one of the BCA stalwarts, has a nice essay on personal security and what it really demands which applies across-the-board, I think.

Maybe someday someone will start a Taekwondo magazine that is informative, well written, and doesn't glorify select instructors who pay to be on the cover. You can always hope.

The problem is that such a magazine will have a hard time paying for itself&#8212;advertising is what keeps the MA industry (as vs. the MA community) rolling, and the free pulicity/paid-up ad tradeoff is going to be a cliche amongst those who see their path to wealth as the commercialization of the MAs. It can work, but the nature of the market has to be understood by all concerned...

The reason Jissen can work is because it's been put together by a bunch of guys who have a kind of captive audience for their products: people interested in hard-core MAs for self-defense apps, not feel-good/you-can-do-it!! fuzziness, who will buy books by experiences applied-MA types like Consterdine, Abernethy, Mulholland and others with years of practical knowledge as doormen/bouncers/personal protection ops under their belt. These guys earn their livelihoods from their books, their DVDs and their seminar fees.

I think of it as being like Apple vs. Microsoft, or Stone Brewing vs. Budweiser: much smaller market share, but within that market, they rule. The boutique/artisan brewing industry and Apple, after some shaky startup years, look like world-beaters now, and I think that the same will happen with the serious applied CQ SD martial arts part of the business.

Meanwhile, it's definitely the case that Jissen is a venue for the KMAs, as much as the O/J/CMAs. I think in the UK (as elsewhere), their movement to a practical, applied SD approach to TKD has been slower off the mark than with karate and various Chinese styles&#8212;blame the sport-niche marketing of TKD for that&#8212;but it's gaining traction there too. Stuart can probably tell us more about that... hint, hint, hint... :)

Last edited:

igillman

Purple Belt
Reaction score
The second issue contains less Karate specific stuff than the first issue did. I found the magazine to be very interesting and very useful. The sparring for the street and defence against knives has some very useful stuff in them. For me, the most fascinating and enlightening article was the one on the air war in Vietnam and how Martial Arts can learn from it.

OP
S

StuartA

Black Belt
Reaction score

YoungMan.. all the arts are connected in some way or another.. even if theres an article on a different style you can still learn something from it and in most cases, relate it back to your own art! Plus there is TKD in both issues anyway, as well as articles that dont relate to a particular art at all.. dont judge a ebook by its cover :)

Stuart

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Dont wanna be seen as dumb but what is it you wish to know?

Stuart

More about shifts in TKD training to hard street-practical applications, along similar lines to what's happened with karate in the UK over the past couple of decades. Are there signs of a sea change in the British TKD leadership in the direction of hyung-based combat training as the curriculum default, as vs. Olympic sparring&#8212;that sort of thing? Are there more people, apart from you and Simon O'Neil, working on realistic applications of TKD forms and publishing their results?

Is the 'BCA ethic', in short, spreading beyond its earlier karate base to include TKD?

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
YoungMan.. all the arts are connected in some way or another.. even if theres an article on a different style you can still learn something from it and in most cases, relate it back to your own art! Plus there is TKD in both issues anyway, as well as articles that dont relate to a particular art at all.. dont judge a ebook by its cover :)

Stuart
Yeah, I practice a blended karate/kung fu system and I still follow all IA's undertakings pretty faithfully. Many of the principles apply across disciplines.

OP
S

StuartA

Black Belt
Reaction score
More about shifts in TKD training to hard street-practical applications, along similar lines to what's happened with karate in the UK over the past couple of decades.
Has it really happen in karate that much.. I dont think so, its still a niche group from what I understand. Slowly growing, but still small compared to the whole karate scene!

Are there signs of a sea change in the British TKD leadership in the direction of hyung-based combat training as the curriculum default, as vs. Olympic sparring—that sort of thing?
Cant say for WTF, but from the various Ch'ang hon organisations in the UK.. in the main, no. though at seminars now some instructors tend to show pattern applications (like it as always in their teachings btw LOL), but often its left to a lower rank (ie. not the head).

Are there more people, apart from you and Simon O'Neil, working on realistic applications of TKD forms and publishing their results?
Theres a few, some are approcahing training in more realistic manners int heir own clubs, but its not association things.

Is the 'BCA ethic', in short, spreading beyond its earlier karate base to include TKD?
Not yet.. but we are making ends to change that (details very soon)

Stuart