Forum Update April 2021

dascrow

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
If options exist, I’d personally like to see the old options there. Some new ones might be welcome, but we’ve mostly become accustomed to using the previous reactions to communicate here.
I believe all of the old ones are still available. Let me know if you notice any missing?

dascrow

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Admittedly I'm confused when it comes to the new layout, but I don't see love or agree anywhere

The like button has been renamed to "Agree" and I've added a "Disagree" button..
Screen Shot 2021-04-30 at 8.12.56 AM.png

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
The like button has been renamed to "Agree" and I've added a "Disagree" button..
View attachment 26655

Lookin' good. Can you add "Neither Agree Nor Disagree", "Not as Funny as You Think", and just because, "I'm just here for the popcorn" reactions?

Or not. This is probably just fine. I'll show myself out.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
View attachment 26655
That doesn't really make sense. The like button should mean like; nothing else. It is great to add a disagree button. 'Agree' has it's own meaning and connotation. Very important for communication on an online platform.
For example, I can fully agree with something but that in no way infers that I like it.
Like and agree need to be separate choices.

dascrow

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
That doesn't really make sense. The like button should mean like; nothing else. It is great to add a disagree button. 'Agree' has it's own meaning and connotation. Very important for communication on an online platform.
For example, I can fully agree with something but that in no way infers that I like it.
Like and agree need to be separate choices.
Ok - Like & Agreed are available as an option.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
@dascrow
Nice changes, thank you. Any chance of getting an "informative" or "useful" option along with the like and agree that you have added?

Thanks again
Brian King
I always felt the original set of buttons were much more than adequate. Definitely in the “if it ain’t broke don’t fix it category.
I hope the original button choices come back.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'll see if we can add some more options there.

Also the new upgrade now offers quite a few emojis that can be used.

🤔🤦‍♂️🥋🍻
I see you've already added "agree" ...I also miss the "Informative" response. I didn't use it all that often, but sometimes it was a perfect, emotionally neutral fit.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Oh, it seems like we've lost the Mentor Lounge and the whole mentor thing? Does that mean I don't have to be so careful about behaving now? OK ....Hey Jobo, move over and make me some room... OK, Just kidding. :p

OP
J

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh, it seems like we've lost the Mentor Lounge and the whole mentor thing? Does that mean I don't have to be so careful about behaving now? OK ....Hey Jobo, move over and make me some room... OK, Just kidding. :p
We'll look into it.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On my phone it shows a little circle on the bottom right of each alert, if it hasn't been read it'll be black, otherwise it's see-through (all the ones in this image are see-through/already-seen alerts)

View attachment 26654
I noticed that. Doesn't work on my desktop browser, unfortunately (the circle is dark for whichever item you're hovering over. I think there's a slightly darker grey for unread, but that seems to match also every reaction (as opposed to post) on the list. And I'm not 100% convinced it means what I think it means, so I might be missing some.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lookin' good. Can you add "Neither Agree Nor Disagree", "Not as Funny as You Think", and just because, "I'm just here for the popcorn" reactions?

Or not. This is probably just fine. I'll show myself out.
And I really did "love" this post.

OP
J

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

We'll look into it.
Ok, looks like we lost the secondary titles or badges like Mentor and Lifetime Supporting Member. Not sure if it's a feature change or setting above my pay grade.

Folks, do me a favor... if you find yourself having access to someplace you didn't used to... RTM something and PM someone on the Mod Team. All the settings appear correct, and seem to be working right... but... this chap named Murphy hangs around.

dascrow

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Ok, looks like we lost the secondary titles or badges like Mentor and Lifetime Supporting Member. Not sure if it's a feature change or setting above my pay grade.

Folks, do me a favor... if you find yourself having access to someplace you didn't used to... RTM something and PM someone on the Mod Team. All the settings appear correct, and seem to be working right... but... this chap named Murphy hangs around.

I believe the secondary titles/badges should be back. Let me know if I'm missing any.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
An bug I have recently encountered a few times; When typing a post if I inadvertently backspace past the first line of text the cursor jumps into the 'replied' section of the post and you cannot get the cursor back out. No matter what I try it ends up as another reply from OP. This is happening both on the mobile app and on my PC.

Admittedly, I am a lousy typist but it seems the cursor should stop at the initial start point of the text box and not be able to 'edit' someone else's text. A recipe for hard feelings.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
An bug I have recently encountered a few times; When typing a post if I inadvertently backspace past the first line of text the cursor jumps into the 'replied' section of the post and you cannot get the cursor back out. No matter what I try it ends up as another reply from OP. This is happening both on the mobile app and on my PC.

Admittedly, I am a lousy typist but it seems the cursor should stop at the initial start point of the text box and not be able to 'edit' someone else's text. A recipe for hard feelings.
[/QUOTE]
The issue appears to be hidden tags. When you backspace into that, you've deleted part of the end tag. You can cap it with [/ quote] (remove the space in that) to get back outside the quoted info. Likely some part of the tag will show up in the quoted info - you should see that in your quoted material, as I replicated what happened and used the end tag to close it again.

Latest Discussions