Forum Update April 2021

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Folks,
You might notice a new look and some changes. The team at Forum Foundry has updated the Xenforo software and shifted some security settings. You shouldn't notice much of a change, but let us know if there are problems.

Jks9199
Administrator

John G

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Folks,
You might notice a new look and some changes. The team at Forum Foundry has updated the Xenforo software and shifted some security settings. You shouldn't notice much of a change, but let us know if there are problems.

Jks9199
Administrator
The site should also be considerably faster as it is now using HTTP/2 and some additional caching/compression techniques.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Awesome, thanks for the heads up!

Do you know if the forum is still enabled on the Tapatalk forums app? It's my primary way of accessing MT, it doesn't appear to be working on there at the moment... thanks

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The new appearance looks good; industrial.
As far as functional communication is concerned loosing the agree button makes no sense. Clicking 'love' when I agree with someone is simply wrong. And rather creepy.
Hopefully all the backend changes make it an easier/better site to maintain. Just don't forget about how people communicate.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As far as functional communication is concerned loosing the agree button makes no sense. Clicking 'love' when I agree with someone is simply wrong. And rather creepy.
Hopefully all the backend changes make it an easier/better site to maintain. Just don't forget about how people communicate.
Agreed.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score

Admittedly I'm confused when it comes to the new layout, but I don't see love or agree anywhere

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Admittedly I'm confused when it comes to the new layout, but I don't see love or agree anywhere
It's like FaceBook, where you sort of click on the like button and some additional options become available. Choices are like, love, haha, wow, sad, and angry.

I guess it's up to us how we choose to reinterpret those. :bookworm:

dascrow

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Awesome, thanks for the heads up!

Do you know if the forum is still enabled on the Tapatalk forums app? It's my primary way of accessing MT, it doesn't appear to be working on there at the moment... thanks
No, there have been some security issues with Tapatalk in the past and we will no longer support it. However, the new software update provides a much better mobile experience.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll see if we can add some more options there.

Also the new upgrade now offers quite a few emojis that can be used.

🤔🤦‍♂️🥋🍻
If options exist, I’d personally like to see the old options there. Some new ones might be welcome, but we’ve mostly become accustomed to using the previous reactions to communicate here.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
A smaller issue; the top 10 posters of the month on the home page was changed to top 10 posters of all time. Which is pretty static and doesn't really give us any info about who's been active this month.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
No, there have been some security issues with Tapatalk in the past and we will no longer support it. However, the new software update provides a much better mobile experience.
Ahh that's a shame.. was handy having all my forums on there.. all good I'll get used to it. At least I have other options apart from just 'Like'! 🤣

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
One other observation. On the old platform it was very easy to tell what alerts have and have not been read. On the new platform there is no was to tell. Am I missing something?

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
One other observation. On the old platform it was very easy to tell what alerts have and have not been read. On the new platform there is no was to tell. Am I missing something?
On my phone it shows a little circle on the bottom right of each alert, if it hasn't been read it'll be black, otherwise it's see-through (all the ones in this image are see-through/already-seen alerts)

Screenshot_20210430-214746_Samsung Internet.jpg

Latest Discussions