Forms

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
Who was talking about the Wing Chun/JKD double meat cleaver form? Hell yeah.

That's a real thing, the double knife forms are central to a lot of southern Chinese kung fu, but particularly Wing Chun. You can find them all over Asia.

Mother daughter, Mother son, butterfly, Baat Jaam Do, they have a long history on the Red Boats, especially for cooking.

Want to know a great way to become absolutely lethal with double kung fu butcher knives? Become a chef.

Thunder Foot

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Who was talking about the Wing Chun/JKD double meat cleaver form? Hell yeah.

That's a real thing, the double knife forms are central to a lot of southern Chinese kung fu, but particularly Wing Chun. You can find them all over Asia.

Mother daughter, Mother son, butterfly, Baat Jaam Do, they have a long history on the Red Boats, especially for cooking.

Want to know a great way to become absolutely lethal with double kung fu butcher knives? Become a chef.
I think Bruce moved away from the BJD and toward the Italian Rapier in the later development.

mograph

Master of Arts
Reaction score
My Taijiquan Shifu, student of Tung Ying Chieh...... "internal, external..... end up the same if you train them right"
A friend of mind described two paths up a mountain: one is steep early, flat-ish later, while the other is flat-ish early, steep later.
But both lead to the summit.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think Bruce moved away from the BJD and toward the Italian Rapier in the later development.
And in the Daoist sense, combined the two, sure. I'll buy that for a dollar. Sometimes, you only have one knife.

He couldn't cook, from what I've read, he ordered out a lot. It's easy to find out what he liked to eat, but he left behind few recipes.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
And in the Daoist sense, combined the two, sure. I'll buy that for a dollar. Sometimes, you only have one knife.

He couldn't cook, from what I've read, he ordered out a lot. It's easy to find out what he liked to eat, but he left behind few recipes.
"The Tao of Cajun Gumbo"? :D

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
"The Tao of Cajun Gumbo"? :D
The best things I learned from kung fu were the cooking recipes. It's not all about the jows and medicinal liniments; eating properly is a big part of the kung fu lifestyle.

Spicy peppers, it turns out, are great for training supplementation.

Not to mention the Cajun Trinity provides plenty of hydration, cellulose fiber, and of course french style onion....for heart power.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The best things I learned from kung fu were the cooking recipes. It's not all about the jows and medicinal liniments; eating properly is a big part of the kung fu lifestyle.

Spicy peppers, it turns out, are great for training supplementation.

Not to mention the Cajun Trinity provides plenty of hydration, cellulose fiber, and of course french style onion....for heart power.
You can't just put that out there and not post some in a thread called kung fu recipes

Thunder Foot

Brown Belt
Reaction score

Lot of similarities between Rapier dagger and BJD, much like there are alot of similarities between WC and John L. Sullivan era boxing. I think the underlining premise is the driving principles of implementation and Lee's sources for them.

Thunder Foot

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Are there? I am unfamiliar with BJD, but intimately familiar with rapier & dagger. Can you expand on this statement?
This statement is my personal opinion based on my experience. IMHO there's some qualifiable technical similarities dependant on what is compared. There are variables between WC lineages as to how some moves are interpreted, and then of course there are variations to the moves themselves. But outside of all that, we can see similarities in some of the principles. The 4 cardinal hand positions to the 4 gates of WC (heaven earth). The angles of attack, simultaneous attack and defense, many of the disarms, and basic footwork. We've only covered fabris and giganti thus far so my perspective is based on them. I'm no expert with rapier, but myself and those I train in HEMA with have noticed similarities.

Latest Discussions