Forms Collectors Are Hoarders!

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Anyone ever watch one of those "Hoarders" shows on the A&E channel? They show people who accumulate stuff and are unable to part with it, even if the items are not always useful and even if their homes are overfilled to point of being dangerous to live in.

Well, all of you forms collectors are hoarders! Get some help now!

-DA
a former form collector himself in another lifetime

chrispillertkd

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've said it before here and I'll say it again: I'm always impressed when someone says they practice both Chang Hun Taekwon-Do and Kukki Taekwondo. Why? Because both styles have rather different body mechanics (if we're talking about official ITF and official KKW TKD, anyway). I'd personally say they're different martial arts with the same name, although others might say they're just two different styles of the same system (or two different systems of the same style, however you want to view these fairly arbitrary appelations). Anyway, it's an impressive thing to become proficient in two distinct styles. In that sense, learning the forms for each style is good because they're part of the system.

That all being said, I've never actually met anyone who does practice both types of TKD. I've met many people who practice both ITF and KKW forms using the same body mechnics. In effect, they've simply doubled the number of forms they know, but they perform all the forms in the same manner so they haven't learned two different arts or styles. They've just made more work for themselves, that's all.

Forms teach one how to generate power, perform specific techniques, demonstrate strategies, condition footwork, impart the style in a systematic way so the student has an easier time digesting what they're taught and letting one form build on another, etc. They're invaluable when it comes to traditional MA training, IMO. To teach two (or more) pattern sets without focusing on the different body mechnics is simply to miss part of what is being taught and in many instances engages in needless repetition because of the overlap in techniques between pattern sets that occur since there's no difference in how they're being performed (in reality, for example, there is quite a bit of difference between an ITF side piercing kick and a KKW side kick but I've never seen any of the people I know who "do both" make any sort of differentiation between them when performing the different forms).

Pax,

Chris

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Anyone ever watch one of those "Hoarders" shows on the A&E channel? They show people who accumulate stuff and are unable to part with it, even if the items are not always useful and even if their homes are overfilled to point of being dangerous to live in.

Well, all of you forms collectors are hoarders! Get some help now!

-DA
a former form collector himself in another lifetime

Yes...I need help...I find myself hooking on the streets just to learn a little tekki. :)

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well I am a hoarder and yes I still do both ITF and KKW and for the record we still do fore balence and long stances and swine wave and not. It is possible to do both but in most cases those that do really never study both they just picked up the forms and learned them. Since I was a ITF guy way before a KKW guy and before that an Okinawa Karate guy. I prefer the Tuls over the Tae Gueks but that is my preference. I enjoy learning forms and I like it when people show me the correct stances and techs, I believe one should always evolve there workout routine.

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Currently, I have Shotokan forms Heinan 1-5...working on Empi, Shorei-ryu forms...15 empty hand and 5 kobudo in that bunch, and KKW forms up to Taebaek, plus my sword forms 7 basic, 8 two man, 2 black belt forms. Add to that my competition form. I used to have the Palgwes as well, but malter barley and hops seemed to have replace that memory. I really enjoy my karate forms over my TKD forms. Perhaps it is because I don't feel as robotic in them. TKD forms are great for good structure practice, but they just feel so confined to me. I love my sword forms. Yes, I'm in dire need of help and a life.