Power VS Technique

S

sasquatchnaruto

I just wanted everyone's opinion on which will win out, someone with incredible strength and power, or a excellent technician?

dubljay

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Power is contained in the mechanics of the technique. However technique teaches us selection of specific targets (i.e. the nose, under the chin, ect.) where as unguided power has no specific target. You can have all the strength and power in the world, but if you can't hit your target it is completely worthless.

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hard to say from just that. One thing youmentioned if "strength and power" but my understanding is that power is something that comes from technique. Hard to know what you mean by "excellent technician". Strking power is both strength and technique; a lot of it is from how fast the striking weapon is moving and how much mass is behind the strike; and both of those are based on good technique (proper timing of hip and shoulder twist, keeping your muscles relaxed as they extend so you are not working against yourself, etc...)

There's good striking technique (in getting power in the strike) and good footwork technique (to stay balanced and to get in and out to attack and to move to evade and counter). That's not a definite distinction either because good power is generated from having a stable base so the better your footwork is, the more balanced and stable you will be on attack, the more power your strike will be.

So..you can have incredible strength, but unless you have good technique, you will not have incredible power (how many gym weightlifters who can bench press a small car know to pivot the hips when you punch; how many know to go for penetration to get more power at the strike surface, how many know to shift the lead foot on a jab to get more body mass mvoing into the target, etc...) That's all 'technique', not just strength, that gives power, allthough probably what you had in mind as far as 'technique'

OP
S

sasquatchnaruto

your right i did word it wrong, i meant someone with a lot of strength vs someone with alot of technique.

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
..i meant someone with a lot of strength vs someone with alot of technique.

Depends on how much technique the person with a lot of strength has versus how much strength the person with a lot of technique has :)

THink of the aforementioned big body builder. Has a lot of strength but doesn't know how to punch; doesn't know how to use his feet, his hips, his weight to strike powerfully. Think of some skinny guy with great technique; knows how to use his body properly, but has know arm strength or stomach strength or leg strength to put behind a strike. Which will win? Nobody, really. The skinny guy may hit the string guy 47 times but with little effect; the strong guy may never hit the skinny guy...

The real decision will be based on how much technique the strong guy can bring to make his strength effective versus how much strength the skinny guy can bring to make his technique effective.

That's at the extreme ends; everyone else is somewhere in the middle; a guy with a lot of strength will beat a guy with better technique only if the strong guys technique is good enough. A guy with great technique will beat a stronger guy only if his strength is good enough.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Both are important to have. However, many times, people rely more on the strength aspect instead of focusing on that good technique. I see this alot in grappling. Someone will always muscle a technique. Does this always work?? No. If we take a look at the UFC, where Royce was facing guys that were much stronger and heavier, you'll notice that while it appeared at times that he was in trouble, he was just waiting for the right time, while the other guy is exhausting himself, and then he'd move in for the finish.

IMO, as I said in the beginning, its good to have an equal balance of both, rather than rely on one or the other.

Mike

mj-hi-yah

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Both are to be respected.:asian: I think that a very strong untrained person can do damage, but with proper training watch out! A weaker person with proper technique is not to be ruled out, and with proper execution (timing, targeting, angles of entry etc.,) can take a stronger less technically capable person out. Not part of this question, but I think important as well, is the physical conditioning of each person.

OP
V

valacruz

I agree with Mj-hi-yah, and with mjs, My sensies have always stressed to me that mucles do not win fights. Power lies with within proper technique, shape.

Good question

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
Excellence in the execution of our martial arts can't be topped.
BUT: add to that a strong & able body...
GOOOOD combination!

Your Brother
John
:asian:

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Technique always will win in the long run, a very strong person can get a kucky shot once in awhile but technique is the key to a lifetime of success.

OP
R

rmcpeek

Technique should always prevail, if refined and honed properly. Power comes from the technique being executed properly.

Sin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Technique will always be the victor....Honestly Knowledge is Power, and if you only have brute strength then your going no where...In martial Arts that is

VSanhodo

Green Belt
Reaction score
Personally I believe speed and power do not necessarily mean good technique but by practicing good technique you will learn how to execute with speed and power. Usually a good technician will win over just plain ole speed and power.

Thanks

San

Latest Discussions