For those that have Bought/Ordered Nunchaku

Fing Fang Foom

Green Belt
Reaction score
If you have bought a pair of nunchaku before or special ordered a pair:

What type did you get?
Where did you get them?
What was the purpose of the type you bought?

Would also be interested in the type of wood, length, chain/rope/, and any other details you have to offer if you special ordered them ;)

Thanx :D

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
There's really not much of a real distinction in quality between nunchaku, unlike other weapons like bo or sai or kama. Pretty much every nunchaku is mass produced in China, although you can pay more for a handmade one when you can find a reliable source for them. Considering how frequently you will break nunchaku if you get into striking targets like trees with them, I suggest going with a decent mass-produced one rather than shelling out for a more pricey one.

Some people who compete in XMA look for something I believed is called a speed chuck. It's light and supposedly the bearings inside the chain move quickly letting you twirl and spin the flail more. Bah.

Anyway, I generally order the wooden octagonal ones with a metal chain. Those tend to weigh the most and they can deliver the most damage if actually used to hit something. There are some stainless steel ones but they've always have been in the round cylindrical shape and I prefer bevels as they provide a better grip for your hands.

Unless you are a giant or someone very small, the standard sizes will work fine. I buy mine wholesale through AWMA.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I own three pairs and all different and I will explain each one for you and the reason for buying them all.

1. Speed chuks these are acrylics with a rope in between the acrylics, the reason is for competition. They move so much faster than regular chuks they are a bit more expensive but worth it for speed at tournaments.

2. Wood ones these are my workout one's that I love becasue nothing more than a great pair.

3. Is what is called a Metal chuk they wiegh three times more than normal chuks but they allow you to get more speed and accurcy when using the others.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It just occurred to me that you might be wanting these for your kids. If so, the foam ones are definitely the way to go.

mango.man

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Make sure you check the laws in your jurisdiction as well.

For example:

California Penal Code Section 12020 states that it is a felony to be in possession of any nunchaku outside of a school where they are used for teaching self defense.

You could probably get away with carrying directly to or from class, providing you are in uniform etc which demonstrates you are actually going to or from. But if you or your kid leave the nunchaku in the backseat and you get popped for speeding or something on your way to the market, you would likely be staring down the barrel of some serious penalties.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Make sure you check the laws in your jurisdiction as well.

For example:

California Penal Code Section 12020 states that it is a felony to be in possession of any nunchaku outside of a school where they are used for teaching self defense.

You could probably get away with carrying directly to or from class, providing you are in uniform etc which demonstrates you are actually going to or from. But if you or your kid leave the nunchaku in the backseat and you get popped for speeding or something on your way to the market, you would likely be staring down the barrel of some serious penalties.
This is so true. 20 years ago in California, I was working at a Domino's Pizza. This guy came in and tried to rob me with a bear bottle as his weapon. I grabbed my nunchaks and cracked his skull open. Well lets just say 30 days later and 100 hours of community service done, I will never do that again. The police also confiscated from my car, my sais, tonfas, and butter fly knifes.

I was charged with a misdemeanor and only got 30 days or (100 hours of community service) and 2 years probation. The officer in the probation department was one of my Bo-Sabumnims back then and was able to pull some strings. Other wise I was looking at 2 years for felony assault with a deadly weapon.

I got lucky real lucky. The guy was a 4 time repeat offender but I was told that I should have let him have the money and just call the police. My life was not in danger I was told.

So get your weapons from your school and leave them in your bag with your other MA equipment. You won't get into trouble this way. Also if you have a baseball bat in your car you better have a ball and glove with it. I had a buddy go in for a week for just having a bat in his car.

rlobrecht

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Thank you for reminding me why I'm happy to live in Texas.

Back to the nunchaku question. I bought these from Karate Depot, because we were just getting in to it, and I was feeling cheap. :) That said, I like them better than rattan ones available from our school. They are a bit heavier, and a bit bigger in diameter (I have large hands.)

A lot of our teenage black belts have flashy aluminum ones, which I have tried. They are very fast, and look really great in use.

mango.man

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Thank you for reminding me why I'm happy to live in Texas.

I think with a bit of research you would find that they are illegal in Texas as well. The level of illegality is certainly different though.

I need to take back some of what I theorized about the California law where I suggested that you might be OK traveling with them if you are going to or from class, in uniform etc.

That is wrong. The only place in California where Nunchaku are legal is within a self defense school. Under absolutely no circumstance can a Nunchaku be possessed in a home, car, business establishment or anywhere other than a self defense school.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
If you have bought a pair of nunchaku before or special ordered a pair:

What type did you get?
Where did you get them?
What was the purpose of the type you bought?

Would also be interested in the type of wood, length, chain/rope/, and any other details you have to offer if you special ordered them ;)

Thanx :D

Who are they for?

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Type: Mine are likely made of PVC tubing, but are covered in foam rubber and have a cool dragon printed on them. They have ball bearings for smooth operation.

Where: I purchased them at a store called the Dragon Cave.

Purpose: I bought two pairs for the kobudo program that was institued at our school a couple of years back. I only use them for testing and practice of the forms. They are used only at the dojang; I have no need of them outside of the dojang and only bought them because they were part of the kobudo program. As for why I bought the foamy ones? Easy. I don't like bumps and bruises from doing forms.

The Nunchuku is a neat weapon, but not one that I personally would consider for self defense.

I think that a lot of the laws specifically targeting nunchuku are insane. Some laywers had too many nightmares after seeing Enter the Dragon?

Whatever, it is not worth the hassle and laws not withstanding, there are much more effective weapon choices for actual self defense.

Daniel

Last edited:

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think with a bit of research you would find that they are illegal in Texas as well. The level of illegality is certainly different though.

I need to take back some of what I theorized about the California law where I suggested that you might be OK traveling with them if you are going to or from class, in uniform etc.

That is wrong. The only place in California where Nunchaku are legal is within a self defense school. Under absolutely no circumstance can a Nunchaku be possessed in a home, car, business establishment or anywhere other than a self defense school.

That is insane!

So getting them from home/store to the school in the first place is illegal?!

WoW!

and I bleeding heart liberal find the constitutional rights invaded...
(Not to mention that I can do a lot more damage with common household items when powered by hormones...are rolling pins on the index as well?)

rlobrecht

Brown Belt
Reaction score

mango.man, I'm well versed in the statutes regarding what is and isn't allowed in terms of transportation of a weapon. Nunchucks aren't specifically called out in the legislation, however have been declared a club by the courts. It is illegal to carry a club (and many other deadly weapons) on our about your person in the public in Texas. About your person does not extend to the trunk of your vehicle.

Actually my comment was more in response to the conviction when defending yourself and your employers property. In Texas a broken beer bottle would be considered more deadly than a club, especially if you were the defender (which you were since you were in your place of employment, and the other guy entered the premises.)

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
mango.man, I'm well versed in the statutes regarding what is and isn't allowed in terms of transportation of a weapon. Nunchucks aren't specifically called out in the legislation, however have been declared a club by the courts. It is illegal to carry a club (and many other deadly weapons) on our about your person in the public in Texas. About your person does not extend to the trunk of your vehicle.

Actually my comment was more in response to the conviction when defending yourself and your employers property. In Texas a broken beer bottle would be considered more deadly than a club, especially if you were the defender (which you were since you were in your place of employment, and the other guy entered the premises.)
That was me that the person entered my place of employment not Mango.Man.

Also at that time I do not know if it was illegal to carry them in my car or not. I do know that when I went to court, that I had to prove to the judge that I was a member of a Karate (TKD really) club and that all weapons were in my car because of transportation of them to and from classes.

As a condition of my probation I could not possess any such weapon at all. Not in my car or my house for those 2 years. I had to leave all weapons at the dojang.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
That is insane!

So getting them from home/store to the school in the first place is illegal?!

WoW!

and I bleeding heart liberal find the constitutional rights invaded...
(Not to mention that I can do a lot more damage with common household items when powered by hormones...are rolling pins on the index as well?)
Kitchens are full of object that can be used as improvised weapons to potentially deadly effect. A plethora of knives, rolling pins, meat tenderizers, the ever popular skillet, and if you're Vin Diesel, coffee cups.

People would be surprised how good a rolled up newspaper can be as an improvised weapon as well.

Daniel

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nunchucks#Legality

Legality in the United States varies at state level, e.g., personal possession of nunchucks is illegal in New York, Arizona, California and Massachusetts, but in other states possession has not been criminalized. In New York, attorney Jim Maloney has brought a federal constitutional challenge to the statutes that criminalize simple in-home possession of nunchucks for peaceful use in martial-arts practice or legal home defense.[23] As of March 2009, the case was awaiting the filing of a petition for certiorari for review by the U.S. Supreme Court.

With regard to Texas:

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Are_nunchaku_or_nunchucks_allowed_in_Texas

Nunchukku have been held to be considered a club by the courts and the ruling was upheld on appeal. Tatom v. State, 555 S.W.2d 459 (Tex. Crim. App. 1977).

Section 46.02 declares it is illegal to carry a club if one is not on one's own property.

Section 46.15 Also states

(b) Section 46.02 does not apply to a person who:

(4) is engaging in lawful hunting, fishing, or other sporting activity on the immediate premises where the activity is conducted, or is en route between the premises and the actor's residence, if the weapon is a type commonly used in the activity;

So it would appear that nunchucks are illegal in Texas off your own property unless taking them to or from the dojo.

Eh, I'm not a a lawyer, this is not legal advice.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Kitchens are full of object that can be used as improvised weapons to potentially deadly effect. A plethora of knives, rolling pins, meat tenderizers, the ever popular skillet, and if you're Vin Diesel, coffee cups.

People would be surprised how good a rolled up newspaper can be as an improvised weapon as well.

Daniel

My point exactly: Lady's Home Journal can mess a person up badly!

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score

Daniel

One of my female students once drove a pen through her attacker's left cheek. He's lucky she missed his eye.

Latest Discussions