For the love of... movement?

Highlander

Green Belt
Reaction score
Ido Portal, the world's first 'movement coach'. At least that's the claim. Im digging his stuff. Any thoughts ?

Bee Brian

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Ido Portal, the world's first 'movement coach'. At least that's the claim. Im digging his stuff. Any thoughts ?

I saw his squat routine and expected a sort of crossfit type stuff... And I got greeted to what looked like a yoga video.

Honestly I think it's overkill. I used to do tons of extensive stretching with my squat workouts, and now I do zero. No noticeable difference in performance. Useless for weightlifting. I just don't know if having super flexibility on your groin and hips is really necessary for anything outside of yoga. Even then, for my weightlifting, if I needed to increase flexibility for a certain muscle or joint, I can easily consult an experienced Olympic-style lifter and ask him how to do it.

So for me............ Useless. I don't know about others.

OP
Highlander

Highlander

Green Belt
Reaction score
I saw his squat routine and expected a sort of crossfit type stuff... And I got greeted to what looked like a yoga video.

Honestly I think it's overkill. I used to do tons of extensive stretching with my squat workouts, and now I do zero. No noticeable difference in performance. Useless for weightlifting. I just don't know if having super flexibility on your groin and hips is really necessary for anything outside of yoga. Even then, for my weightlifting, if I needed to increase flexibility for a certain muscle or joint, I can easily consult an experienced Olympic-style lifter and ask him how to do it.

For me fitness is much more then the amount if weight you can lift. Its strength of the body as a unit. For example, if a person can squat 3x their bodyweight but cant do a pull up or push up the squat doesnt really matter.
I want functionality strength. I want the ability to move naturally and use my strength in the real world. Not just the gym. That being said I lift weights too.

Bee Brian

Blue Belt
Reaction score
For me fitness is much more then the amount if weight you can lift. Its strength of the body as a unit. For example, if a person can squat 3x their bodyweight but cant do a pull up or push up the squat doesnt really matter.
I want functionality strength. I want the ability to move naturally and use my strength in the real world. Not just the gym. That being said I lift weights too.

General fitness must be developed first BEFORE sport-specific fitness. Sport-specific fitness should only be a priority after you have enough strength to serve as your foundation, the same way fighters must first develop an aerobic base before doing bullpoop like HIIT.

OP
Highlander

Highlander

Green Belt
Reaction score
General fitness must be developed first BEFORE sport-specific fitness. Sport-specific fitness should only be a priority after you have enough strength to serve as your foundation, the same way fighters must first develop an aerobic base before doing bullpoop like HIIT.
Agreed. I have a pretty solid base at this point. I'm at the stage where I get to decide which way to push my progress. And the foundation I have spend years building is **** for some of these "simple moves". It was a pretty humbling experience

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score

not necessarily, you can do them both at the same time, it helps if you start with a reasonabe level of fitness, but its not a requirment as long as your prepared to suck for a while

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score

but your only intrested in sqauting, so no, not a great deal of use

OP
Highlander

Highlander

Green Belt
Reaction score
not necessarily, you can do them both at the same time, it helps if you start with a reasonabe level of fitness, but its not a requirment as long as your prepared to suck for a while
I assumed he meant reasonable level of fitness with his statement. Which isn't a fair assumption... lol. You definitely don't wanna start with these movements if you're 25+ percent body fat

Latest Discussions