• can't teal

• don't care

Results are only viewable after voting.
OP
TallAdam85

TallAdam85

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
sorry about the last post did not get a change to post.

Ok but I can not see how you live there and train for free. A you get what you pay for. But has anyone been tryed this place out if so was it any good

thanks
adam :flame:

M

Master of Blades

Well first of all it says send $5.00 to get started so it sure as hell aint free.......:shrug:

Damian Mavis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
OMG it's not free at all!!! It's a frickin cult haha. Just scroll down to the part where it talks about getting up and running and doing morning excersises... then eating breakfast... THEN GOING TO WORK ALL DAY WITH ALL INCOME GOING TO THE SCHOOL!!!! then coming back and doing chores and THEN doing an hour of martial arts training...

So one hour of actual training a day while you make them money with your hard work with the rest of your time. Bull****

Damian Mavis
Honour TKD

grimfang

Green Belt
Reaction score
well.. it does not look very promising.. but that could just be lousy PR work and an amatuer web designer. The truth is, it is impossible to get a clear idea of what is happening there just from looking at that site. There COULD be some excellent material being taught by quality instructors... until one of us walks thru the door and sees it firsthand, we are just speculating.

I can see the logic behind a school like that. Dedicated students who focus on nothing but training. They do chores because they live there (although i am sure that the instructions are given with the rhetoric about "building discipline and character".... but again, i am making an assumption there.)

Odds are, the school makes its money by doing paid demos and seminars.. just a guess. Its POSSIBLE.. not very likely.. that it could be run by someone who just loves teaching and has the financial means to operate in this fashion.... i doubt it, but its POSSIBLE. We just do not know what kind of work they do.. if its 9-5 washing dishes, then you have to ask if the training is really worht it. But.. they aslo state its for people who are determined to have a full time carreer in martial arts.. so a college degree is not a concern for them. However... it could be any kind of work... they operate a socially relevant program, such as an antidrug program, or operate state funded shelters (IN CA, that is VERY possible.. its a growing trend,)

I would be very hesitant about heading off for 3 years to do nothing but train, based only upon that website and an information packet sent in the mail. I would want to meet the instructors, see what they do, and really check out the lifestyle that occurs there. It could very well be a new version of the old Monastaries... or it could be the next Jonestown. Until we have seen it for ourselves, or talk to someone who has, it is really not fair for us to criticize it too much. Question it.. YES. be suspicious. Completely discredit it? Not at this point... we do not have all the info.

R

RCastillo

Like the saying goes, if it's too good to be true, it probably is.:asian:

K

kkbb

Reading more into it...the school gets their income from the part time work that each student must take on in the local community. The proceeds from that work go to the school. They are fed and housed in return. They also have chores to do in the dorms. If you read further , the fellow they were interviewing says you train about an hour and a half in karate every day, but the interviewer goes on to explain that he has only been there 5 weeks, and the PE thats done in the morning starts to prepare the students form more strenuious training in the near future.

Kind of neat concept...monastary like...but as long as everything is on the up & up, and the instructors are reputable...why not! I don't see this as being much different than entering the military for a 3 year stint.
I did some hunting on the net, and did not come up with any negatives..... might be ok..... although would not be for me at this point in my life.

3 yrs of steady intense martial arts training...wow.... would I ever love to sink my teath into that!

CrushingFist

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by TallAdam85
sorry about the last post did not get a change to post.

Ok but I can not see how you live there and train for free. A you get what you pay for. But has anyone been tryed this place out if so was it any good

thanks
adam :flame:
just because you pay millions dont mean you're gettin millions, the trick is not about the money, but is about the teacher/student/art.

im gonna sell you a 1990 honda civic for $10,000
when you can get a 2000+ honda civic for around $10,000

you really think you payin $10,000 for something good?
money is just commercialicism... any school that charges a lot i forget about it, it might be good, but in most cases is not. sorry
you dont always get what you pay for in martial arts.

Shodan

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Sure sounds like a scam to me............I can just hear the voice that would be perfect for announcing this on a TV ad or something too!! :karate:

M

MartialArtist

Physically, you will be a machine. Spiritually, you will be unstoppable. Mentally, your eyes will have begun to open to a better world that you didn’t even know existed. You will be at a level where you can teach karate to others and in fact Budo Karate House will help you to open a dojo of your own.
:shrug: The Marines claim the same thing, except the unstoppable part. And at least you get to travel about to open your eyes a bit more.

Sounds like an infomercial.

R

rmcrobertson

It's a crock, and a potentially-dangerous crock at that.

Why?

1) Who are these guys? No instructors' names, no organization names?

2) "A healthy male between the ages of..." Please.

3) No mention of price.

4) Their description of training, full contact shots most everywhere. Please. Go live in a dorm, and take full-bore shots to your knees for years?

5) No mention of methods, just lots of he-man jazz.

Run screaming.

K

KenpoMatt

posted by Damian Mavis
OMG it's not free at all!!! It's a frickin cult haha. Just scroll down to the part where it talks about getting up and running and doing morning excersises... then eating breakfast... THEN GOING TO WORK ALL DAY WITH ALL INCOME GOING TO THE SCHOOL!!!! then coming back and doing chores and THEN doing an hour of martial arts training...

Hey - don't knock it. I seem to remember a certain young student by the name of Daniel-san who didn't think he could learn real martial arts by painting a fence or waxing a car. Well, do you know what happened to our little Daniel-san? It just so happens that he went on to defeat Johnny from the Cobra-Kai at the All-Valley karate tournament. Yeah, that's right. Johnny. Now, Daniel-san is entirely un-defeatable because he knows the Crane Technique. No can defend.

Maybe you should just think about that.

I am in the process of developing my own system to train aspiring MA'ists. They will start their training with techniques such as, "Vacuum The Floor." Then, they will move onto advanced material like, "Scrub The Toilet" and "Mow The Lawn."

:rofl:

SenseiBear

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Just a scam - Aside from the childish web site, there is absolutely no contact info, not even an email, no mention of where it might be, no information as to style or instructor qualifications... Just a Post Office Box in Washington D.C.

And it is Old material - Last update in April of 2002 on the "For Applicants" page... (and I think that if they provide food and housing, they can sponser foriegn students...)
But more than that, Nicotine chewing gum hasn't needed a perscription in the States for a decade... Why would student #3, who joined in April of 2000 need perscription gum?
The description of the fights you would eventually fight sound like they were written prior to the advent of UFC...

I predict if you mail $5.00 to the PO Box you will never hear from them again... But it's only 5 bucks, try it - maybe they are casting a net for suckers for a bigger scam... Or maybe the mafia is recruiting for underground cage fights, millions bet on the outcome, only one man leaves ALIVE!!!

Turner

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Hi,

I sent my $5 in and was accepted into this school and lasted for 56 days. I went into the BudoKarateHouse program weighing 260 pounds and left weighing 220.

The 3 year training is based on Mas Oyama's school in Japan that the instructor, Nathan Ligo attended. He also has experience running a similar school in either Hungary or Romania and is looking to share the lifestyle with Americans.

I thought the training was hard, but at the same time it was easy. I went in at the age of 22 after leaving the Air Force. The discipline was a lot more lax than I had anticipated but the training was rigorous and very fulfilling.

The training takes place on the campus of the University of North Carolina and my job to help pay for my room and board was working the night shift as a security guard with the department of public safety which is also Mr. Ligo's full time job.

I worked four nights a week for 10 hours each night. I started out running 2 miles a day and doing weight lifting and only minor conditioning (taking light roundhouse kicks to the thighs and then giving them as a warm up or cooldown to the run.) After getting used to the schedule, karate training was added to the schedule.

Is the place a cult? Nope. You go there to study the martial arts and that is it. His personal belief is that Americans are weak and to a degree he is right. People came and went after only a few days because they weren't used to the idea of living a disciplined life. You get up, you eat a traditional Japanese meal of Miso soup (it's nasty) and then do your chores around the dorm... just like you would in the military. You make your bed, clean the area, mow the grass and then you've tons of time on your hands. At first you only spend like two hours training per day and then increase more hours as you get accustomed to the training. So most of the day you are sitting around with nothing to do. The loneliness is what gets a lot of people. You are confined to the dorms as part of mental conditioning and are given plenty of books to read. Then you train and then go to work and that is your day.

On occassion you'll do something that deviates from the norm, like I went and climbed Grandfather mountain in NC and did forms and training on top of the mountain.

Over all the training was a blast. I left because I initially went to learn some humility but found that surviving the course was making more and more arrogant.

The program is all about learning full contact karate. If you are interested in becoming a professional kickboxer and are willing to give up your life for three years, the program is right for you. Mostly it's for people that have nothing to lose. If you have a girl friend or are really close to your family or can't live without your playstation and booze, the place isn't for you. My guess is that the place isn't for a lot of people. It's a lot like Navy SEALs training for martial artists. The guy will certainly help you become the best that you can be, he doesn't really ask anything of people... Just come and train and promise to do your best to last three years.

Most of the time I regret leaving the program. I did it to get out of a certain career and into teaching the martial arts full time and after I left I got back into the same career and am even further away from teaching the martial arts.

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I can respect taking a discipline for a set amount of time, and living a structured life. I question the quality of skill you were learn there, though, just cause I am a skeptic. What were the credentials of the instructor? Being in shape and having tenacity can be done practically on your own, martial skill is another story. I guess if you had champion kickboxers, or full contact karate fighters emerging from this school, then I would be less of a skeptic. Are there any?

Also, and this is a serious question: were there any spiritual beliefs or practices incorporated in the program?

Thanks,

PAUL

Latest Discussions