How many of you..............

R

RCastillo

Are involved in tourneys that do "Point Sparring?" I was discussing this with a friend of mine in TKD , and their work, and events they attend still do that. The few I've been involved in do "Continuous," which to me is more practical, for the event, and exercise. I felt point sparring was outdated already.

Anyway, he feels there needs to be a change, but even then, the group he's with, do outdated forms, in comparrison to ones we do(ITF) Same forms, just different in execution.

Damian Mavis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Point sparring is widely accepted throughout North America by Karate schools. Some TKD schools do it too. Not sure how it works exactly for WTF... do they stop after each point? I forget. I prefer continuous fighting like what we do in ITF but maybe it's because I just don't know how to appreciate the point sparring way... but I honestly don't see how stopping after every point is good but like I said, it could just be my ignorance.

Damian Mavis
Honour TKD

deadhand31

Brown Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
The 7th layer of Hell. Wisconsin, to the rest of y
That's odd, most of the point sparring in my area is done by ITF schools. From what I've seen, they give you 2 points for a strike to the body, and 1 point for a kick to the head, or stopping a punch 6 inches from the face.

My school is a WTF school, and we've never done point sparring, although we've been taught several counters to technicques such as the flamingo-kickers.

I once went to a point-sparring tourney, and I didn't like it at all. I suppose the judges have a hard time, as it's hard to determine a point for something that doesn't visibly move you. I spoke with one of the regulars from a karate school, and he said that kicking to the surface was the better way to learn. He asked what I've heard alot "What's the point of learning a kick that you can't control?", to which I replied "What's the point of learning how to do a kick if you never kick the way you'll need to when you really need to use it?"

He pretty much shut up at that. :D

OP
M

MartialArtist

Olympic sparring is continuous.

Most of the amateur tournaments do point-stop.

I personally have nothing against sport sparring, but it's not self-defense. The only way I could see it as self-defense is the conditioning that is required in terms of stamina, speed, agility, flexibility, accuracy, and timing.

Point sparring isn't limited to ITF or WTF although in general, more WTF schools do it. It's sort of like boxing after stretching the term. There are scorecards and if you're KOed, then yeah. But I've never see a KO in an Olympic match because that's not what they're trained to do. And if there's an injury, most of the time, the guy who inflicted the injury has to turn his back on the guy and think about what he has done... :shrug:

Damian Mavis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Hokay.... I think we all have different definitions of what POINT SPARRING is.

Point sparring is when the ref stops you after each and every technique lands and the judges mark it and then the ref starts you again.....this usually goes for the first person to get 3 points.

Continuous sparring is when you have 2 minutes (or whatever) to rack up as many points as possible with no stopping unless someone gets knocked down or runs out of the ring after which they are given a warning or minus points.

Point sparring where they stop is mostly used by karate tournaments. Continuous is mostly used by TKD. The amount of contact has absolutely nothing to do with the art but rather the area of the world and the school hosting it. I've seen point sparring almost full contact and I've also seen them not even touch. I've competed continuous where they didn't allow much contact at all (mostly for lower belts) and then I've competed continuous where they let us hit full contact. In my federation continuous black belt sparring is full contact. You might get a minus point for breaking his jaw but if it was a clean technique chances are you just won. On one hand they vaguely claim to be semi contact but if you can disable your opponent and he cant continue you win.... it's kind of silly.

Deadhand besides confusing point sparring with continuous you said "give you 2 points for a strike to the body, and 1 point for a kick to the head"... you have that reversed.

Damian Mavis
Honour TKD

OP
A

andurilking2

any tournaments i go to are usually submission tournaments. whoever takes more hits than they can handle or gets incapacitated loses.